Brexit

Northwarks

It did seem to me to be far from a democratic mandate. If 52% of a 72% turnout voted 'leave' then less than 40% actually said to leave. That could be grounds for a re-run. When votes don't go the way they want the EU has form for making the people vote again and again until under duress they vote the 'right' way.

24.3% of the electorate voted Conservative at the 2015 General Election ( that's 36.9% on a 66% turnout).

I didn't expect that to happen really. I really thought project fear would have got the undecided voters last minute.

Now we need to focus on the future...Democracy and the people have spoken. As the arguments have been so passionate we need as a country to be together. 52 % of the voters have voted leave belief there is a better future.. 48% the opposite. Every one now needs tobelieve this country can be independent and we need to strive for the brightest future even if it's not the one they expected. Because we really can. If we predict doom and act as if doom is eminent we will achieve our bad dreams. No one really wants that. our economy is absolutely dependent on consumer confidence. We could crash our own economy without a single outside factor, legislation change etc and that would be very foolish. I believe we can do this and come out of it fine

• Like 1

24.3% of the electorate voted Conservative at the 2015 General Election ( that's 36.9% on a 66% turnout).

Thus is always is with non-compulsory voting, but parliamentary and local elections are not permanent in their effect. This referendum is a one off - especially if the decision is to leave. I wrote a long screed on how I'd have liked to cherry-pick the EU: good idea badly managed, etc., and how daft the single currency idea was but decided that I'd keep schtumm for now. Am I allowed to say that? :d

There is no IF the decision is to leave.

The democratic decision of UK voters has been declared and it is to leave the EU.

The estimated cost of conducting the EU referendum has been put at £142.4million and I doubt we want another.

The estimated cost of conducting the EU referendum has been put at £142.4million and I doubt we want another.

£142.4 million is that all?

We can spend that in a day when we have a war.........

thats about 2.8 days of EU subsidy money (we wont have to pay in future)

well worth it

Is that "bl**** EU bureaucrats taking our rainclouds" or "these immigrants bringing their horrible eastern european sunshine in" ? :-D

FWIW - We should have stayed in, but lets see what happens. 

Personally, I voted IN for financial stability.

But now the decision is OUT I'm excited to see what the future holds.

Don't forget, there is a lot of unhappy populations of other EU countries. Maybe, just maybe this is the catalyst for a radically reformed EU which a majority wants to stay in ? As MOTCO says, the EU has good & bad points. However the initial response from the EU politicians suggested they still didn't understand how strong the feeling are against some of their policies.

Like it or not, the decision has been made and we must all live with it. We can moan about it or celebrate it, but it is far better to just get on with it.

I hope the initial blip will settle, because really for now it is business as usual, other than we need a new prime minister

The key is to stay calm, if everyone runs through the streets screaming hellfire, we will talk ourselves back into a recession

• Like 2

73% voted for an exit in my constituency, one of the highest in the country, no wonder I haven't spoken to anyone that voted to stay.

If it does go all tits up, at least I can be smug and say it wasn't me that voted for an exit of the EU.

If it does go all tits up, at least I can be smug and say it wasn't me that voted for an exit of the EU.

Wrong attitude Bernie. We need to all pull together however you voted
  • Like 1