Racing a Westfield?

Terzo204

Glad to hear that iowlee.

I still need to do a few bits to mine as well. Update to follow!

Hopefully mine will be pretty much sorted by next weekend.

Just got membership stuff through so putting the all important go faster stickers on today ;-)

Should be re calibrating the new temperature and pressure gauges with the dash, fitting data logger etc this weekend then final fitting of belts and bodywork, hopefully driving it out of the garage next week.

Even managed to get race number 55 so don't have to change the numbers from my last sprint, result.

Lee

Have been thinking about what race series to enter. I am looking to do 4 or so rounds this year and I have the following options:

1. Castle Combe GT's

2. Mag 7's

3. 750 MC Sports Specials.

Decisions decisions…… 

I have just got the car back from Blink and CleaR Motorsport. I had the head ported and polished, cams and remap (making 182/146) and then (respectively) had new springs fitted, new ARB's fitted and full Geo by Adam. 

I have yet to modify the oil breather having fitted a new catch tank and then I'll give her a run out. 

I still need to get my HANS, new wets, and if I go for the 750MC series, change my wings and aeroscreen as carbon is not allowed. I will also have to detach the fuel filler from the bodywork. Both are just a pain to do but necessary. I am leaning towards options 2 and 3 though as the GT's at CC allows slicks and only really Blue Book compliance - I would be wooped by most cars on the grid! 

Many thanks to Adam for the long day last Thursday sorting the geo etc for me. I'm really please with the work Adam has done and would recommend his services to all. 

Looking forward to getting some seat time now to see how all the work on the car has come together.

Ok, decided it's going to be CC GT's and a 'taster' of the CSCC at Donny.

Need to get a bit of seat time first. Trackdays at Donny and Combe to be booked soon.

• Like 1

Just got my old cams back. I think they are 130 bhp cams (my car made 155bhp previously with Jenvy throttle bodies).

Are these worth anything? They are of no use to me any more.

They are stamped L913B.

Yes they are Mike!

They're not standard for 1.8 zetec, so they should sell for an upgrade.

Any idea what they are worth or am I best to EBay do you think?

• 5 weeks later...

Cams and a few other bits now on e-bay. Just to clear the garage really!

On a different note, does anyone have a bright idea how I may be able to make my number plate 'quick release' without unbolting it and having to take the nose cone off? The bolts are about 6mm i think.

Hoping to do my first race at Castle Combe 16/07 after the card has recovered and I have got some trackday seat time at donny and combe. Going to race in the Sports and GT's, although I know i'll be mullered without 500bhp and slicks… It's my local track though and will be good experience. I'm then hoping to do the CSCC Donny race in september. I'm hoping to do a more complete season next year. 

Anyone out there already racing this year? I have seen a Westie was in the CSCC Snet round recently (Mowbray and Mowbray?)

Mike

Heavy duty velcro? Of course the velcro strips will still be left on the body.

On a different note, does anyone have a bright idea how I may be able to make my number plate 'quick release' without unbolting it and having to take the nose cone off? The bolts are about 6mm i think.

Anyone out there already racing this year? I have seen a Westie was in the CSCC Snet round recently (Mowbray and Mowbray?)

Hi Mike,

Why not just leave the plates on? or if you really want to remove them riv nuts in brackets on the nose.

Reference Mowbrays, I met the guys last year I believe, Father and Son. Sorry can't remember their first names (memory going as I get older)

I was hoping to do the whole season this year with CSCC, however still have issues with my dry sump system working as I want it too.

Looking to get my first race at Brands in June if I can sort the car out very soon, otherwise will have to try for a July debut as the next race is Spa and I will not have enough race time on my licence.

Hopefully will see you at an event. 

I know what you mean about giving the card a rest.

Lee

I need to remove it to access the tow eye.

Annoyingly, it looks like the regs are going to change again next year relating to the tow eyes and i'll have to replace what I have....

The Mowbrays have so really good videos on You Tube. It makes a good watch if you have a spare minute (normally for me when my wife's watching Eastenders!)

I hope to race at Donningtion and maybe Thruxton as well (it's a superb circuit)

just had the first outing in mine since the engine transplant. class win on Saturday and 2nd in class Sunday

4 laps in hailstones alongside a Ford Falcon on slicks was interesting

• Like 1

Hi mike, thanks for the nod re tow eyes changing next year. Just read up the specs. That's a pain in the proverbial!!

Quick edit to see that the changes are recommendations from what I can see not mandatory (unless I have mis-read) from Jan 2017
Cheers

Lee

I guess the notification is an expression of intent for next years blue Book (I can only guess without checking iowlee) If you have not yet fitted your tow eyes, I would follow the recommendation to close out any possibility of having to change them.

I have now booked a trackday at Donny on the 6th of May and I'll also be doing a trackaday at Combe on the 24th of June for a bit of 'seat time' with my new engine/set-up.

First race 17th July at Combe (with the WRDA WSSCC - The Castle Combe Sports and GT's is not the race for my car, it would be right at the very back of the grid and cannot compete with 700bhp Evos etc...)

Then 20 August at Pembrey (WSSCC)

Then Donny on the 3rd of September (CSCC)

Mike

Cast Iron - What new engine do you have (Bike engine again presumably) and is there a video for us to watch?