Why would a diff?

BudSlater

be packed full of grease when I bought it? Drained of oil I get due to no leakage when shipping, but grease packed? The code on the crown wheel is 83-bg-4210-j e 3.92 which seems to imply it's not actually a LSD as advertised?

No metal tag on the back and the return instructions state that I'm not allowed to open the unit, which is smelling suspicious, coupled with finding the grease when I did open it up to look at the code on the crown wheel....

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i77/SiGainey/Westie/F08F94E8-AAAD-43B7-B432-DEC0B8FBE92A_zpsopmxs7og.jpg

smell a rat :no:

anyway you would need to open to clean it .are they trying to cover something up with the grease.

I would always open to inspect . if its not a lsd as described  then get your money back

Landrovers one shot grease hid a multitude of sins on pitted swivels

Sounds like your diffs been packed with grease to reduce the differential 'slip'

Americans do a similar thing to give the limited effect and put truck diff oil 130/150 in them

Ive put some in my english diff - yet to tell if it helps

what pete g says...... filled full of grease to quieten it down.... did Roland Rat sell it to you?

As above, something fishy goin on.

Over use of instant gasket on the rear cover too!!!

Did some actual proper Industry experiments with semi fluid grease in the 70's to measure the noise and lubrication advantages of this new wonder lubricant in diffs whilst at Shells Research Centre. The grease did not make them quieter but in this case may hide tooth damage so as you have it open would need a thorough clean out and inspection of all mating surfaces for chips and wear. It may be absolutely fine but why did anyone coat a normally oiled mechanism with this compound does make you a bit suspicious doesn't it particularly with the note saying don't open. Fishy.

Bob :(

My understanding is that it should have an "AA" or "AAA" somewhere in the code to be an LSD http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/components/sierra_rear_differential/

Also, 83-bg-4210-j e 3.92 crops up here http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=85080&page=1

You are probably right, but of course you could have a Sierra diff. which was built as new as an open diff., but has since been converted by the addition of an LSD unit.

What I can't work out is why the grease is still stuck to the gears. Looks like it hasn't been run as you would expect the grease to be flug off and be all over the inside casing. Also what are the 2 plates on the crownwheel side?

Lastly did you take pic with it upside down or is it the right way up?

Terry

What I can't work out is why the grease is still stuck to the gears. Looks like it hasn't been run as you would expect the grease to be flug off and be all over the inside casing. Also what are the 2 plates on the crownwheel side?

Lastly did you take pic with it upside down or is it the right way up?

Terry

That's what's baffling me too. Why would they grease it up? When I put the diff oil in, it will dissolve the grease so why put it there? To quieten it for a bit till the "warranty" runs out? Would it make an open diff behave more like an LSD? Would it hide a tired LSD??

I was suspicious as I went to drain the oil and let it drip out completely over a few days but there is zero oil in the diff, so they have opened the back of the diff up, greased it and re sealed it. I'm not paying a fair price then getting something odd like this, it will be sent back, irrelevant of what their conditions state, it's not what I ordered and it's not mentioned in the original advert

Yes, the photo was taken upside down

Hi Bud

If that's the pic of the diff and its supposed to be an LSD then I am afraid you have been done as that's definitely a open diff in the pic

I think you might be right about being packed with grease to make it feel like a Viscus LSD which by hand I guess it would.

The area that's packed with grease (The Planet gears I think they are called) would just be a closed cylinder if it was a Viscus or ATB type diff and full of a pack of clutch like discs if it was a plate diff (Very simplified)

Sorry for the bad news.

Ian

Actually, no. You still have the cage and planetary gears on a viscous LSD, though you're correct about an ATB just having a closed cylinder in their place.

The Viscous module is bolted to the crownwheel, on the drive shaft side, so it makes the crownwheel assembly slightly thicker than normal.

I just can't make out 100% if thats the thicker crownwheel assembly of an LSD or not, too much grease and grot, poor angle and my dodgy eyes.  :blush:  :suspect: I don't think it's an LSD, it looks like the crownwheel itself is thicker, with a thinner mounting plate, but like I say, I just can't tell definitively from that shot.

I suspect  the grease packing is intended to hide something though...

Here you go, this is the inside of a viscous LSD. The viscous lsd bit is inside that extra deep housing bolted to the back of the crownwheel.

diff_internals.jpg