Eclectic electrics

Quinten

The good news is that the start button seems to work...  the bad news is that a combination of low battery, cold weather and stale fuel means that it would turn over, but not actually start.  A few pops and bangs out of various locations and a bit of smoke from the exhaust manifold and that was it for today.

Battery is in the charger now, and hopefully I'll get a chance to try again tomorrow evening  :yes:

giphy.gif

Not entirely happy about the alternator light (it sort of flickers), so am going to give that a 2nd thought on how to resolve this, but other than that, it started on the button and after a while of spluttering and puffing, it sort of settled on an idle again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2015-03-01+16_57_58.jpg

And now that I have managed to fix the backfeed issue (see other thread) and completed the steering wheel indicator panel (see other thread) we are nearly done!

Just the coiled cable between car and steering wheel to be done  :yes:

• Like 1

This is a great thread, but also sort of depressing.

I just know when I start to do my lectrics, they will never be that neat or well thought out...

Even before I finished I had decided that I didn't like the fuse/relay board position. So armed with a drill, a screw driver and some hinges I've now rotated it 90 degrees so it can fold downwards into the footwell

2015-03-10+20_39_54.jpg

2015-03-10+20_40_27.jpg

Just need to do a little bit of wire re-routing/extending, but then it should really (famous last words) be the end of the rewiring project...

2015-03-14+20_10_24.jpg

And this will be the final update to this thread. After rotating the fuse/relay board and testing everything again, I tie-wrapped everything into neat little bundles and I even got my starter button to light up the same way as the battery/alternator light. Put the scuttle back in place and gave the wiring one final look before I screwed down the dash... Here's to years of trouble free electrics  :yes:

• Like 2

You must be relieved to have finished that one! It's the kind of job that can turn into a lengthy nightmare as you forget where you got to the evening before...

You must be relieved to have finished that one! It's the kind of job that can turn into a lengthy nightmare as you forget where you got to the evening before...

Absolutely. But sooo satisfying to know that if I do need to change anything (say, add a power socket, or something), it should not take me a week to decipher the spaghetti first.

LOVE those dials. What are they and where are they from? You've done a lovely job there. I might have to have a good peep at Stoneleigh.

LOVE those dials. What are they and where are they from? You've done a lovely job there. I might have to have a good peep at Stoneleigh.

They look like White faced versions of the VDO Cockpit range from the look of it, like these - random sales website!

i know ETB Instruments do the regular black VDO range, might be worth seeing if they can get these too, of you were interested. They're really helpful!

Yes, although I didn't buy them, they are VDO white faced cockpit, exactly like the ones linked by Dave. I actually didn't like them mounted in my old dash, but here, against the carbon(esque), they look a lot smarter.