Eclectic electrics

Quinten

The only problem I can see is to do with the led,  you can't have a dim led they are either on or off. You would have to use a bog standard tungsten bulb in the start switch.

You can have a dim led, just look at all the 'dual' brightness savage switches everyone has ;)

I've been a busy boy again and completed my wiring diagrams for the remaining functions. Having no fancy ecu or other gizmo's does make it a lot easier

Brakes.png?dl=0

Fuel%2BOil.png?dl=0

Temperature%2BFan.png?dl=0

Horn%2BTacho.png?dl=0

Now the observant will note that I've left out the speedo, but that's because it is a separate cable with connector which I will not need to 'redo'.

Just need to rework the starter/alternator one and then I can finally commence actual wiring  :cool:

Starter%2BAlternator.png?dl=0

And this should do the trick with the start button... thanks to Mark and Dave for the relay trick! Still wouldn't mind a 2nd opinion though ;)

2015-01-17+12_30_26.jpg

2015-01-17+15_10_23.jpg

2015-01-18+13_22_52.jpg

Productive afternoon (darn it was cold!) building the 'fuse board' from an off-cut piece of 'carbon' dash  :yes:

I like what you've done so far looks great.  Did u get the crimps from earlier in this thread if so are they any good?

I'm just about to start tidying my wiring up too. I've been putting it off for about 9yrs. Selling the car this year so thought i best get it done. Unortuneatly for me mine has the loom coming through a hole in the scuttle so i spent yesterday freezing cutting the loom and rejoining it with spade connectors as a temporary measure and labeling all the wires for when i root the loom through the tunnel and up inside the car. I'm now ready when i get a good few hours to take the dash and loom this side of where i cut it out the car and onto the kitchen table to tidy it all up in the warmth then the plan is to fit proper connector blocks for rejoining and a new relocated fuse box and relays. I only used the spade connectors so i could reconnect and check step by step. Fingers crossed it all works.

Yes, got those, but haven't actually used them yet, so can not comment on the quality of them :)

Haven't touch any of the existing wiring, other than identifying them. Am trying to get to a point where that will be the only job left to do. Had to get a new drill bit to match the size of the savage switches so that will be tomorrows job. Then it is just a matter of securing the relay/fuse board and start crimping...

But now you mention temperatures... I did get some new connectors, maybe I can make the relay/fuse board detachable... Hmm...  :yes:

Have to say I'm a recent convert to the ratchet crimps PoleVolt sell. I originally got a pare of their Econoseal crimpers, as I new Id a load to do on the new build and they're an odd size, a purpose made tool that wasn't too dear fit the bill perfectly. 

PoleVolt also have the brand crimpers in a range of other styles, I was so impressed with the Econoseal I got a set of the F crimp crimpers, and they've been brilliant. Highly recommended.

One of the most useful things about them is that they seem to be setup to just hold the terminal in the jaws by squeezing the handles to the first click of the ratchet. So you can load up the terminal and even put the tool down while you hold the wire and check the end is ready, then just feed it into the terminal - still held in the jaws of the crimper, squeeze till it releases the stroke, and there you are, perfect crimps.

Its been a lot easier doing the stuff on the new car with them, rather than my old more manual non-ratchet set. (Which made good quality crimps, but you needed three hands and practice!)

• Like 1

What scares me is the red handle,  what does it do?  Ejector seat, bonnet release, parachute, smoke screen------------

I could say it squirts a set amount of oil on the road to shake of any followers, but with a crossflow I dont need any buttons ;)

Its the fire extinguisher  :p

• Like 1

Good job Lord Quinten of UptonShire.... a credit to you... Long live the mighty yellow cross flow 

• Like 1

I could say it squirts a set amount of oil on the road to shake of any followers, but with a crossflow I dont need any buttons ;)

Its the fire extinguisher  :p

Hope you don't need to activate that.