Eclectic electrics

Quinten

Did u get the crimps from earlier in this thread if so are they any good?

I have now just given the tool a go, along with the terminals I got from CPC and I have to say that I'm not a big fan of the quality of the tool. No instructions, so spend first 30 minutes finding out that the jaws (it has 5 pairs, all providing a different crimp type) I thought were suitable for non-insulated terminals were nowhere near the right ones. I've never crimped these terminals before so part of it can be attributed to my non-experience, but instructions would have shortened that a lot.

It does allow to pre-load the terminal, but the jaws are not great quality and don't make a very pretty crimp if you use it as intended. Instead you need to 'ratchet' it until the penultimate click, and then reach for the release lever to open it up again. It will do the task, but a different tool may be quicker. Thankfully I have both time and patience ;)

Having got to grips with the crimper all that is left now is follow my own wiring diagrams and just do it

2015-01-31+16_23_00.jpg

Other jobs stopped play, but there will be more crimping shenanigans tomorrow  :yes:

2015-02-08+16_06_03.jpg

Nearly done... well, just the horn+indicators steering wheel controls and the actual dash connections to remain. It's now organised spaghetti  :blush:

• Like 1

Succes! Sort of... ;)

The side, dipped and main beam work as they should, the savage switches light up dimmed when side lights are on and go full when activated and the horn works (forgotten how loud it was, especially in an enclosed garage ;)).

The hazards/indicators had me mystified for a moment as the switch blinks, but the lights themselves did nothing... until I realised it is still missing an earth (dash tell tales will provide these).

The fan override switch however did absolutely nothing. Which is odd, as it is one of the simpler circuits. Need to do a bit of tracing and hoping I haven't got my water temp sensor and water temp switch the wrong way around...

Also haven't put a fuse in the starter/alternator side as I didn't want to risk fuming myself to death in the enclosed garage ;)

All in all, hopeful!

Indicators/hazards now working, although when trying to incorporate the tell tales and switching on the main beam tripped the ignition fuse over and over. Not sure yet what caused it, but removing it from the equasion, it all held together.

The fan has got me puzzled though. It is one of the simpler circuits, but I can not get the switch to 'switch' the relay *and* light the led at the same time. Tried various iterations, starting from the plain simple to adding complication, but as soon as I thought I had it correctly, the fan (or rather the relay) won't activate. T'was too cold in the garage tonight to further look, but I've got the next couple of days off so I may just spend a few more hours then ;)

In the mean time, can someone (please, anyone!) tell me if the diagram for the fan wiring should work?

Temperature%2BFan.png?dl=0

You lot are useless ;)

Not tried it yet, but convinced it should work... Instead of looping 2 (on the savage switch) to the + for the led, I need to take that to ground, and then use the other 1/2 pair (currently empty) to work the led.

What you said. The drawing won't work with switch override because the led in the switch already has a large series resistor so you can't keep the relay energised that way.

What you said. The drawing won't work with switch override because the led in the switch already has a large series resistor so you can't keep the relay energised that way.

Thanks for explaining. I knew what was wrong, but not why... now I do :)

Tried it out this morning and all working  :yes:

Only things now outstanding are the gauges and tell tale panel...  and the dash layout...  and the steering wheel...  and ... ;)

• Like 1

Had a day off today and spend it mostly in the garage...  I went from

2015-02-13+14_09_23.jpg

to

2015-02-13+17_25_59.jpg

after carefully checking that I could actually see the speedo- and tachometer through the steering wheel. Still need to clean the surface as the masking tape left lots of bits behind :(

So close, I can see the finish line ;)

Today cleaned up the dash panel and made sure the gauges fitted with the panel in place

2015-02-14+13_12_32.jpg

Like a glove :d

Then it was just a case of crimping and more crimping...

2015-02-14+14_13_42.jpg

2015-02-14+19_40_52.jpg

Tomorrow should be plug and pray  :angel-emoticon:

• Like 1

That dash looks sweet Quinten, I think you should look at a change of vocation. Where was the dash blank from?

• Like 1

looking good. If i can get mine to look this neat i'll be impressed. jib on hold at mo recovering from op so cant lift. hoping my mate will come round friday and remove my dash for me so i can sit and tidy everything up on it to pass the boredom.

• Like 1