Ecclestone

davidgh

Yep not really justice, but we do not really have all the facts, however for what is reported he appears to be a person who you would not really trust. The greed of all concerned at the top of F1 is staggering, add in the actions of Mosley with the FIA and it has been a terrible period.

If the legal system allows that and they are happy, then who are we to say if it is the right thing.

for the future, well Bernie cannot hang on forever and I suspect that once he no longer has such a control of the circus we will see wholesale changes which might well improve things.

Yep not really justice, but we do not really have all the facts, however for what is reported he appears to be a person who you would not really trust. The greed of all concerned at the top of F1 is staggering, add in the actions of Mosley with the FIA and it has been a terrible period.

If the legal system allows that and they are happy, then who are we to say if it is the right thing.

for the future, well Bernie cannot hang on forever and I suspect that once he no longer has such a control of the circus we will see wholesale changes which might well improve things.

I agree with you, as a motorsport enthusiast, however whether it has been "a terrible period" and whether without Bernie it "might well improve things" it depends on your point of view.

You could argue that it would be hard to imagine a greater success than F1 under the control of Bernie. Is there any other sporting event which attracts so much public and media attention, and sucks in so much money into its running and promotion? The Olympic Games, but that only happens once every 4 years. F1 happens , what, about 16 times a year is it? How much does entry and a stand seat cost at the British GP? And they fill the stands! How many countries of the world broadcast each F1 on their television networks? And how much does it cost for the national broadcasting rights? From a business point of view it is mind bogglingly successful. Even premier division football cannot get close to that, after all, how many countries broadcast our premier division football on their television screens?

Oh, and Bernie doesn't control F1, the major constructors and the FIA do that. Bernie controls the broadcasting rights. And many years ago, he had the foresight to realise that that was where the real power (and money) lay. He may be as crooked as a nine bob note, but he is a very successful one!! (Oh, and I have very little evidence that he is in any way crooked, its just what others say!!)

Or as Bernie Ecclestone himself is quoted as saying ....

"You can have anything you like , as long as you pay to much for it " !

Schoolboy error chaps - mistaking law for justice. The world has an abundance of the former but precious little of the latter.

Did make me chuckle though -

Bribery is an act of giving money or gift giving that alters the behavior of the recipient. Bribery constitutes a crime and is defined by Black's Law Dictionary as the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of any item of value to influence the actions of an official or other person in charge of a public or legal duty.

Google 'bribe' and you get three definitions as the top hits...then some pictures of Mr Ecclestone. Allegedly.

So, presumably Gribkowsky will now be released from prison (and paid massive compensation for wrongful imprisonment?). This could be fun to watch! But I'm sure there'll be a legal reason why that won't happen. Is receiving a bribe more serious than offering one?

Also, Ecclestone's money really should belong to the sport, not him. It should have been poured back in. Imagine what could have been achieved had he not syphoned off most of the profits. He was mighty clever all those years ago to negotiate the Rights deal with the FIA, but that doesn't make it "right".  

at 83 and paying £60m for not getting a 10 year sentance, what a deal. I'd do the same if I had £2.5 billion.

Terry

at 83 and paying £60m for not getting a 10 year sentance, what a deal. I'd do the same if I had £2.5 billion.

Terry

Yup no question. So now he only has 2.4 billion... Damn he'll have to cut back in that bolly for a few months !

It's 2.4% of his fortune. He'll have earned that back in interest already.

It's 2.4% of his fortune. He'll have earned that back in interest already.

And prolly write the whole thing off as a tax fiddle , lawyers expenses and all the rest of it :t-up: .

This guy ain't as stupid as he looks  ;)  

Too right.  Mind you, he probably doesn't pay any tax anyway. You could probably call him many things, but stupid wouldn't be one of them.....

And prolly write the whole thing off as a tax fiddle , lawyers expenses and all the rest of it :t-up: .

This guy ain't as stupid as he looks  ;)  

Seeing him do his revolving door stunt a while ago I was put in mind of Ernest Saunders and his 'miraculous' recovery from Alzheimer's disease.  :swear:

He may well be a person who could be described as crooked, however you have to admire him, several beautiful women to play with, money to burn and an ability to make money from nothing. Even when he had his watch knicked and he was beaten up, he made money from the event by using his picture for an advert as to how some people would do anything for the watch he was wearing.

When he dies, his life story, the version that lawyers would not allow whilst he is alive, will make an interesting read an no doubt a good film

• Like 1

I really hope Bernie has some memoirs locked away for release after his death. He strikes me as the sort that wouldn't care what others think once he's gone. Wouldn't it be great* if he really had masterminded the great train robbery!?

*aside from being great for justice!