First Track Day - which one?

cjdad76

I wouldn't do Llandow for a first day. It is small with no run off and if you are slow you will get overtaken a lot or hold others up badly

A much better bet for a first time is Kevil with Motorsports events, it is an airfield just off the M4 junction 17 and has a good layout with plenty of twisty bits and long enough straights to enable people to pass easily if slow, and for you to pass if quick. it has huge run off areas so very safe.

They also do a handling course which is good fun sperate to the main track. Thay also have instructors there who will help you with the lines etc.and they do enforce good standards with safety paramount.

Last time they ran three sessions beginner, experianced and expert, then all are open pit lane. It is a bit more expensive than Llandow but a much better in my opinion.

As you get better then Castle Combe is a must and Pembury is a favorite of mine a bit further away in Wales but again not too expensive and a proper circuit which has good run off.

Pembrey is a great track. I drive it last September and I had a great day.

Late night posting led to mistake, I meant Hullavington not Kevil although that is also a good starter track

I wouldn't do Llandow for a first day. It is small with no run off and if you are slow you will get overtaken a lot or hold others up badly

Not just me then! Guys, don't just take our word for it, have a look on YouTube, there is plenty of in-car footage there...

Hullavington Airfield on 06/06/2014 with motorsport-events.com, £109

I have done track days and sprints at Llandow and it is not narrow and it is quite long so maybe we just have differing opinions. 

Impressive Terry, York to Llandow - 280 miles each way, that's dedication to racing!!

I appreciate everyone's views on this as I am new to the Track Day scene.  Honestly I'm a little torn now between the 2 main suggestions : Llandow and Hullavington Airfield.  They are similar in price and travel distance - but different in what they offer.

I've been on You Tube to look at footage from both and honestly speaking, the airfield, although safer in principal due to space and run off, looks a bit rubbish - driving round cones on a big open piece of tarmac??  I prefer the idea of a circuit with raised curbs - but this is just my opinion.  I'm not too worried about the overtaking aspect, I'm capable enough behind the wheel (I suppose everyone thinks that!) and the car is quick enough, although I expect there are some very quick people / cars out there.  I would be entering a novice class and with only 10 cars at a time on circuit, even if I was the slowest car on track, I can't imagine people are coming past you all the time!

In short, I think I'm leaning towards Llandow still on 31-May, but I'd go with the majority and would be great to have other Westfield people there...........

There's a few of us doing Abingdon airfield on 16th May. Airfield days aren't as boring as videos look. I quite enjoy them all the same. I think the lack of defined track makes picking a line harder but you'll have it sussed by lunch. Even I can manage it!

I love Airfield trackdays, the price helps here.     MSE are a good organiser and I've been to a few a t Colerne, Keevil and Hullavington, you can always push on a bit more than you would at a track with Armco's and tyre barriers.  Some people are a bit 'Sniffy' about Airfield trackdays and would never attend them for one reason or another.    They are nice and wide and ideal for beginners I would say.

I would say an airfield track day is better for a first timer - loads of run off and the cars tend to be a bit slower. You tend to get quicker cars at tracks and if you get it wrong there tends to be things to hit. 

After all, if you don;t spin, you're not trying hard enough!! (Well, that's my excuse)

You won;t be disappointed by MSE or an Arifield day. I have done about 15 track days now from Spa to Hullavington and they all have their place. 

just remember, it may rain and the more run off the better first time out. It's a totally different experience and a lot tricker than you might think. It's not like driving on the road and that's whet makes it fun.

Mike

Pembrey sprint is a fantastic track and is 306 miles each way!

I am now booked into Llandow for the 31st May - hope others can join.

Suits me well in terms of day & date and isn't too far away.  Most airfield days (although perhaps preferable for a newbie) seem to be week days which is tricky work wise and getting a mate to sign up for company!!

Let me know if anyone is in.................. ???

Will confirm up after the weekends rolling road session.

Would be coming with my lad to share the drive and I think one of my workshop Techs is good to come in a chase car full of spanners and gaffer tape. Assume you'd go M50 in which case we could meet up Ross way.