Garage PC/Laptop

Wile E. Coyote

Re the virus mine had, NOD 32 reported it as Flystudio but Sophos called it something else (can't recall what it said now). Whatever it was called, it would scan any removable media, hide any directories on it, create a payload of the virus with the directory name it had just hidden, with a folder icon, so the unsupecting would simply execute the payload thinking they were opening the directory. Devious.

Quick way to check if it has the same one, put in a freshly formatted USB stick, open it and watch. 3 blank folders will appear after a second or two. They ain't folders!

Just did a 'battery recalibration' on mine - just short of 4 hours which is pretty good.

A cautionary note for anyone tempted to wipe/reinstall: the XP Pro SP3 iso downloadable from MS is not a full bootable version (in the way that the Vista isos are) and requires another installation disc to get it up and running.

To complicate a fresh install, the machine will search for an external USB DVD for only the briefest of times, even if set to the #1 boot device (I think the test for a drive being present is too short, hence some fiddling - crtl+alt+del whilst the drive is still powered but the "no OS" message is displayed - proved necessary to get the machine to see it and boot).  Read somewhere that the machines, in theory, only like Panasonic DVD drives.  Very nearly gave up in favour of installing Linux (there is a distro that includes touchscreen drivers etc)...

I also have a disc containing what I believe is the full driver pack for the machine I received (CF-18K).

Incidentally, for anyone curious, you can see how long your machine has been used for by looking in the BIOS.  Only 2500 hours on mine.

• 3 weeks later...

OK - it's working bar the touchscreen, which after having had drivers installed is recognised by the system but non-responsive (these do die after a while, so think I've just been unlucky  :down: ), with a fresh install of XP.

Touch buttons on the front panel also work.

If you have the 18K version (see serial number on bottom of unit) then this process worked:

1) DBAN

2) Standard XP installation disc

3) XP SP3 update:  (500+MB download - if anyone wants it on DVD then I'll happily start one going round chain letter style)

4) Driver pack: http://toughbookcentral.com/panasonic-cf-18-drivers/ (extracted filenames and instructions are same as on Panasonic site, but just one file to download)

5) Update Windows Update Agent (if you want to get ongoing updates): download and run http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.2.6001.788/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

Et voila... fresh install with no extras on.  Just need to add the wi-fi driver now (a download via intel - will update with link later).

Does anyone know any good (but preferably free) drive imaging software?  Would like to keep an image of it for future restoration purposes.