Garage PC/Laptop

Wile E. Coyote

Just a heads up chaps, maybe I was just lucky, but mine arrived today and came pre-installed with the W32/Flystudio.NIN Trojan. I've jsut contacted the seller to see if they have any comment to make. It also had Team Viewer installed. Now, nothing wrong with Team Viewer....as long as you know what it is, and have control of it. If you don't it's a damn fine way of getting hold of someone else's computer.

Apart from that, quite liking the thing. Not got the touch screen working properly yet, but first priority is to clean the damn thing up I think.

That's not so cool... how did you spot it?

I'd assumed they'd have done a full DBAN + fresh installation before letting them go out of the door.

Oh dear, that is really bad  :devil:

We won't let anything leave the building without a full enhanced Blancco wipe, costs us, but it is totaly secure from a data point of view.

Then a full re install.

If there are any of these machines still left for sale, I am thinking of buying one and running some software we have that recovers data from the HD, in a slave 'ish' type of operation.

Never know, may be an opportunity to gain some easy business.

As an aside.

A major motor manufacturer we deal with from a data destruction point of view, has informed us, that their security officer has implemented onsite HDD wiping and data destruction :cry:

Wait for it......................................................

They are using kill disk :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Can't wait to get my hands on one of there wiped machines.

:d :d :d

We won't let anything leave the building without a full enhanced Blancco wipe, costs us, but it is totaly secure from a data point of view.

Then a full re install.

I don't bother with the reinstall part, but do use a form of "multi-factor drive conditioning" before any discs/machines go in the bin.

DBAN first, then tickle it with a lump hammer until the platters tinkle (just to be sure)...! 

I generally "erase" old disks by various stress relieving methods, these have included lump hammers, a pillar drill and last time round, a mig welder and a foot's worth of welding wire.

(I still do the electronic wipes first, but violence is so much more satisfying.)

It can be cathartic can't it, Dave?

I am wondering what's going to be needed with SSDs though, but suspect that a combination of your methods should suffice!

thanks for the heads up,  not tested mine at all as i only had time too boot up and take a quick look.

That's not so cool... how did you spot it?

I'd assumed they'd have done a full DBAN + fresh installation before letting them go out of the door.

Just my usual paranoia with this sort of thing. Lacking the install media you have to go with what you have, but it doesn't hurt to be careful so I always assume there's a chance it's got something it shouldn't have on it.

This one manifested itself when I tested it with a blank memory stick. Popped it in, drivers installed, the usual 'what would you like to do' dialogue popped up...then went away, then popped up again. That got me wondering. Opened it in Explorer and 3 blank folders appeared as if by magic. Checked it in a test machine and NOD32 grabbed it. Then installed NOD on the machine itself and now it's clean.

Putting Team Viewer on something like this is a bit odd IMO. If they offered an online support option, then just perhaps you could argue it's for that, but it's also a good way to take control of a machine remotely as well.

Anyone who got these, strongly suggest you get yourself some good virus protection on it PDQ, get the OS patched up to date and don't use it for anything sensitive until you have.

Otherwise, nice little machine.

Unboxed mine today... discovered that I also have Team Viewer installed, along with some other random stuff, so will be doing full wipe and reinstall of XP Pro.

I got an added surprise: mine has an IMEI number printed on the bottom of it, and a SIM card slot behind the flap for the headphone/mic socket.  Bad news for anyone who didn't give in earlier though...  I revisited the eBay advert to see if the mobile internet card was listed (it wasn't) only to discover they've gone up by more than £200!

Rather than use anyone else as a guinea pig, I'll get mine working properly and then circulate details of how to do it.  The seller included a recovery disc but, for obvious reasons, I'm going to start from scratch.

Mine has the SIM slot too. Can't make out the full IMEI as the label is a bit worn. Last time I looked at the add they had gone up to £85....  Didn't get any media with mine so they seem a wee bit random.

No GPS module though :(

They didn't have much to say about the virus, just asked me if I had connected it to the internet. Their comment on Team Viewer was that they use it for support.

Not having much luck with the digitiser/touch screen on mine so far. It kind of works, in that if I do the test screen/etch-a-sketch thing I can just make out the cursor waggling up and down at the extreme right edge of the screen, and if I do the calibration, it fails saying parameters out of range, which probably fits if it's got a hardware issue. Could still be a software thing but not found anything untoward on that side, or any other versions of the driver to try. No biggie.

OK, got the GSM/GPRS modem working. Grab a copy of 'edgechecknet' from Panasonic.  If I ever need to text anyone from the garage and don't have my phone handy, I'm sorted ;)

Looks like the digitiser is FUBAR, it returns valid Y coordinate values but the X is off the scale. Might take it apart just n case it;s somethign stupidly obvious like a cable fault - plausible given the rotating hinge it has.

Not got the tablet buttons going yet either.

Been looking in to the tablet buttons, they seem to be the one thing that everyone struggles with after getting all the other bits working.

My engineer spotted the IMEI info on the bottom of mine when I'd had it on site last week, he was getting all excited about it then. (He's ex telecoms)

had a quick squint at mine today and lo its also got the sim slot and imei no ,i ran avast which located one file in temp folder which i forget the name of, not the above trojan tho.   wireless works,  touch pad slow but its buttons work fine ( was it these referred to above ?)

bluetooth works,  battery life seems pretty good too.    so far so good.

No, the touchpad buttons work OK. It's the tablet buttons, just to the right oft he screen brightness controls on the front edge of the case, tha seem to be tricky to get working.