Garage PC/Laptop

Wile E. Coyote

Steve beat me too it..

Keyboard's a bit small and cramped for any major typing, (but OK for filling in text fields and that sort of thing) IIRC, (it's some time since I used one), the small form factor also means a few of the keys are in odd positions.

Screen size is an issue when trying to do anything complicated, I suspect that will trip up a number of web sites these days too. Not sure how this one will be, but the (earlier generation) one I've used had comparatively primitive graphics and the screen was biased towards daylight usability outdoors etc rather than visual quality.

Not as heavy as you might expect though only a couple of kg, probably a good job, given its indestructible tag, built in handle, and the average 7 years olds desire to beat each other up with whatever comes to hand!

The screen size is similar (but slightly smaller) to my existing garage Thinkpad, and that's a pain, even for ecu stuff, so I normally plug it into a separate monitor in the garage when making any major changes. It will be OK to just keep an eye on the basics in the car though, and it's got a native serial port; that's worth it's weight in gold.

Otherwise, build quality, serial port and geek appeal aside,  they don't actually have vast amounts going for them. They're a tool designed for very specific circumstances and types of use.

He's obviously seen the "run" on them and decided to capitalise!

Didn't realise you don't have a programable ecu though  :laugh: Doh! I'm sure you'll find a use for it...

Low tech right now, with twin 45s doing the business... but any efforts to boost power will almost certainly require an ECU (treating it as the first of the preparations for this!).  Will come in handy for accessing the various workshop manuals I've got on the NAS.

The idea of a Cerbera still rumbles on, and you need the serial port for those too...

mine turned today. not checked it yet :d

Mine turned up today and the ****** of a delivery driver didn't actually bother waiting at the front door long enough for an answer.

Replayed the CCTV back once he'd left and he already had the card written up and in his hand, ready to post through the letterbox.

Ah well, least it was nothing desperately needed.

seems to be working ok - typing on it now :)

only annoying thing is the mouse pad isn't very responsive even after playing with the settings :( takes lots of dragging of the finger to move around the screen. not tried an external mouse yet but that wouldn't really be ideal in the garage anyway :oops:

Mine turned up today and the ****** of a delivery driver didn't actually bother waiting at the front door long enough for an answer.

Replayed the CCTV back once he'd left and he already had the card written up and in his hand, ready to post through the letterbox.

Ah well, least it was nothing desperately needed.

that's not good Dave  :down: he could even have chucked it over the gate - it's ruggid (sp?) enough  :oops:  :p

It's not the first time and it won't be the last. Once had a carrier refuse to re deliver as they swore blind they'd tried three times, (as required by their contract with sender). I asked why they hadn't carded. The guy on the end of the phone swore they had. Oh, I said all humble, can you tell me what time the driver tried. The guy comes back all smug with a time for each day. Oh I said, all puzzled, that's funny, I've checked the CCTV for those times already and there's no one showing on either the door camera, drive camera, or the two street cameras. I'm sure I could have heard him swearing across the office at some driver or other about it even without the phone. From the gist of it he knew full well what the game had been with the driver and was more p******** at being caught out than anything. 

That particular package arrived next day.

mind you, now you've got me on to the subject of delivery drivers! (Often work from home, and have hardware for jobs delivered here). Years ago, had one from TNT deliver some heavy speakers, (about 25 kg/box), brought them up to the door by trolley. Left them at the bottom of the steep couple of steps outside while he rang the bell, got a signature etc, then I helped him carry them into the hall. All well and good, I sign, he leaves, I close the front door and suddenly there's a huge clatter from outside. 

I open the door, and there he is sprawled on the drive, a bit winded, but I swear I could see the cogs whirling round in his head, and I can see him eyeing up the steps. So I ask him if he's OK? (He's sitting up by now, rubbing an ankle), I ask him if he needs anything or if he thinks he needs an ambulance? "No, I'll be alright...", so I help him to his feet, and he starts dramatically limping for his van. Pausing to lean on my car to get his breath, I just knew he's waiting for me to ask what happened, (I can see him keep checking the steps and layout, presumably getting it clear in his mind), so that he can give me some dramatic tale about tripping on those high and dangerous steps. With insurance claim to follow.

But I don't ask, you see when I'm working, I leave a mo it or on with the CCTV showing, (I don't bother answering the door unless I can see who it is etc), and I'd seen it all. He'd been nowhere near the steps, the clumsy oaf had gone A*** over tit over his own trolley.

So while he was leaning on the car, I said nothing, just slowly looked up and stared at the CCTV camera on the side of the house, just above us, that converted the door, slowly looked back down at him and said something to the effect of, "oh yes, that reminds me, didn't you have a trolley? I'll just get it for you". 

By the time I'd got it he was back at the van, opening up the back door. Not much of a limp evident when he climbed in the cab either.

Oh well thread driuft. So here's my delivery driver tale.

I wqas waiting for the Humax PVR which had been sent by John Lewis. I knew who had it and rang them to ask where it was. Thewy were in Angers about 50-60 miles away. They said the driver had it but the address was wrong and he couldn't find us. I asked what adrress thay had and he read me the correct address. He was going to try again that day. He never turned up. So next day I go there and collect it. Of course he hadn't tried at all, he couldn't be bothered driving the 40 miles to deliver one parcel.

Collected from the carriers this morning, and sat charging up next to me, here on site.

Good news, don't know about anyone else's, but mine seems to have the full, proper, set of apps and drivers from Panasonic. (At this price, I expected a generic OEM XP install). Which means my touch screen works!

Any ideas how to get the touchscreen to work on mine Dave :) ? Touching the screen doesn't do anything - there is calibration process under the mouse settings where little red crosses (X) come up on the screen but poking them doesn't do anything :down:

You don't have to squeeze it till the pips squeek, but it does need a "firm" press.

Have you checked device manager to see if everything is showing up OK? I have a Touchpad/Touchscreen entry under Mice and other pointing devices.

Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered one of these to go with my new man-shed that's coming soon. I work with IT most of the day, sadly, so will also see about drivers etc for the touchscreen when mine gets here in case I can be of help to 'the group'.

XP Pro on SP3 is a really good OS for something like this - a real result.