Garage PC/Laptop

Wile E. Coyote

Hopefully won't get shouted at for posting here instead of external adverts, but thought folk might miss it in the latter.

Saw these mentioned over on PH and have no connection to the seller, but thought people tinkering with ECUs might appreciate the heads up on cheap (£65!) refurbed ToughBooks on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-Panasonic-ToughBook-CF-18-Laptop-1-2Ghz-Warranty-Office-SERIAL-PORT-WiFi-/370786041492

Not the most powerful of PCs by any stretch of the imagination, but for internet and ECU stuff they should be fine (I've got a "black box" PC of similar spec that works perfectly for that sort of thing).  And they've got proper serial ports.... which most laptops seem to be doing away with these days.

• Like 1

That's a stonking price for a Toughbook; last time I looked, (a couple of years ago), you couldn't get a working one under £250/300, and even "for parts only" models were pulling a hundred plus.

My thoughts entirely, and it must be pretty much the perfect garage laptop.

We do quite a bit with touchscreen PCs, so wouldn't be surprised if it was simply a driver issue that's stopping it operating fully (we've even managed to get latest touchscreens working on Linux with a little tinkering).

Drop Mid Life Crisis a PM on here who can supply recycled laptop's for mapping ecu s (& more)!

with that quantity i wonder if bt are having a clear out. shame the touch screen isnt working or i may be tempted

with that quantity i wonder if bt are having a clear out. shame the touch screen isnt working or i may be tempted

Yep, we are all being upgraded,  got my Panasonic CF-C2 2 weeks ago.

I'm 99% certain it could be made to work.  How complicated it would be I don't know, but we've got touch capabilities running on other kit with a bit of lateral thinking.

I am getting very tempted to buy one and see.  Just need to work out how to smuggle it past the wife.

So am I, though I think I'll have an easier job smuggling it past your wife!  ;)  :d 

Hmmm... why didn't I think of it before?  They're second hand so won't have the unused look of a new one.

"that laptop?  It's Dave's!"   :d

Great bits of kit these Toughbooks, i've used them for the last few years at work. Used offshore, on the deck of boats out in wet muddy fields in absolutely torrential rain for hours. They've been kicked along the ground, banged around in the back of vans, stood on and NEVER had one of them fail on me.  With their metal casings, these things can take a helluva beating and would be the perfect garage laptop 

damn you all, i will tell her it not my fault THEY MADE ME BUY IT ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  coming tuesday :blush:

I have one, it works a treat. Touch screen works as well.

Even has serial port

null_zps73469b82.jpg

Always happy to be of assistance, Alladidn.  :d

Would be interested to know what you think of it when it arrives.  

Are you tempted to be a guinea pig on a touchscreen fix?  If so, I think I may have a solution.  Only proviso being that, if it works, details are kept quiet until anyone on here who then wants one has a machine on order.

Should have known that our resident TV personality would have one.  Part of yet another celebrity endorsement deal was it, Steve? :)

Hopefully mine should arrive on Tuesday or there abouts (ordered yesterday  :d )

A quick Google suggests they were available in at least two forms, one with a touchscreen, (which would have shipped with Windows XP Tablet Edition) and one with a simple digitiser instead, which should have shipped with a stylus.

I do vaguely wonder though whether such a big corporate order was simply customised to not use either. Or perhaps it's just because they've been loaded with the wrong version of XP. No biggie for me if the touch screen works or not, though be great if it did!

Apologies, checking something else on Google, it appears the touch screen does use regular XP, it's the digitiser versions that use XP for Tablets.