Racing a Westfield?

Terzo204

Glad to hear the upgrades have had the desired effect Mike :t-up:  Shame about the cooling... Definitely worth chucking a new rad at it now I think, standard one should work fine with your ducting.

If you do swap tyres, try and do all 4 at once, otherwise you will be costantly 'chasing' the balance of the car when you change tyres. At least if you swap all of them at once, the balance will be maintained.

I'm thinking a new set of 888R's all round. I just need top sort the cooling issue first. I was thinking Radtec but they are pricey.

Should have also have said that the turn-in is drastically improved. That was evident even from just driving on the road. You have done a great job Adam. Thank you very much.

Have a look at COOLEX.

I've got 45mm one, excellent quality and cheaper than Radtec

Thanks David.

I just measured mine and it looks to be Polo rad, but only 32mm wide core?

How much did it set you back?

My original was 32mm,

Now your asking!

If my poor memory serves me right it was around 120 130. Not sure though. Will try and find receipt. Definitely large chunk cheaper than Radtec.

I phoned them, haggled for a discount which I was given. Arrived next day off the shelf.

Thanks for letting me know David.

The other thing that was suggested to me was waterless coolant. Is this worth the hastle? I would have thought this is unnecessary if I get a better Rad.

I'll call COOLEX later today I think.

I'm sure there has been a thread or two about it on here, as I know I have commented before.

I used Evans waterless coolant as I was experiencing high temperatures with just water, and for me it worked well. (but I haven't done a race with it in yet just a trackday and a sprint). I know other commented against it, and said that de-ionised water (from memory) was just as good if not better, certainly cheaper.

Thanks iowlee. I'm not sure I'm going to bother with it to be honest.

ETA Just ordered my Coolex radiator. Very knowledgable and efficient service

I bought a rally design all alloy double thickness rad, fits the polo mounting points. Then spent a day ducting the air into the rad, making sure nothing could escape around the edges

I have aluminium ducting in the nose cone that's a good tight fit. I'll have to adjust it for the new radiator now though. That's going to be a right pain but that's life I guess!

I would like to buy new rubber mountings for the radiator. Does anyone know where I can get these (I think I read that RS Components are the ones to get?)

I also need to get some good coolant. Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Radiator nearly fitted now.

Does anyone have any coolant they can recommend? I have a race line water rail and Coolex rad on my Zetec blacktop.

Always used plain water in mine... Just kept an eye on it through winter and dumped some cheapo motor factor antifreeze in when necessary.

Thanks Adam. I got some premixed stuff now. Hope to fit my rad on Sunday.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I have fitted the rad. I only got round to pad testing the car on Sat PM. 

The temp gauge went up and down and never got past 90, yet the fan was kicking in. I think its programmed via my ECU to kick in around mid nineties. I just ran the car up to temp on my drive and the fan kicked in at 80? I think I have a temp sender on the rad and on the water rail.

I can only presume I have an air lock but I have squeezed the pipes and left the cap off the header tank and it's still the same?

Any bright ideas on what to do?

Mike

sounds like an air lock, have you got the thermostat in the right way, jiggle pin to the top? have you got a bypass plumbed in?