What do you reckon on this for a first westie

Sparkymart

im all set to move quickly on a car even got a big pile of pound notes sat here waiting for the right car  :t-up:  

If I may, (and this certainly not to be critical against you) but it sounds very much like you may purchase a Westfield that may not be to the specification of the one you desire.  Having just "flash" read the whole tread, I have may have missed something but be very careful with your final choice as this will be the car you will live with.  There will be nothing worse than regretting the purchase in a few months time.

I have had two Westfields over a number of years; the first being exactly what I wanted and the second one being a Cosworth powered factory built ZEIW although my initial thought was to purchase a V8 powered car.  In fact I nearly did purchase a V8 but I noticed an advertisement for the Cosworth car, a car I was not aware was a factory built job.  The "thinking cap" returned to my head and the process started again and after deliberation, the Cosworth car won the day for all the correct reasons.  Yes, there was a delay before the Cosworth was finally mine but Christ, was it worth it.  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Hi Bob I appreciate you advice and I was in that position on Friday when a 2006 pinto turned up with only 1380 miles on the clock and the best bit was it was only 9miles from me but it turned out to be fitted with Brookland screens and no hood and I had to walk away. I wanted a zetec for reliability but many of the guys on here are saying how good the xflow is. My heart wants something with bags of power but my head is saying not to be silly as I've only been driving a long wheel base land rover for the last ten years I would find myself in trouble very easily and I'm looking for more of a car to tour in rather than a track monster, so as long as it's a sewi with a screen and a hood and a tidy example I'm more than happy to show interest. I'm currently taking with the Colin about his black westy in the cars for sale on here. I would be happy to receive an feed back on in

Cheers Martin

Hi Martin

Ah, I feel better now having read your note, which does tell me you have thought the process through.  There is nothing worse than making a "knee-jerk" reaction then regret it in the fulness of time.

Although I can only view the car from small images on the Boardroom, it does look a tidy example, seems to tick your boxes and therefore worth you to view the car in the flesh.  Regarding the agreed value figure, I never comment as I believe the agreed figure is between the buyer and the seller only and not the World and its mother.  You will already have a price in mind via previous re-search so stick to it

Regarding the X-Flow engine, I did, a couple of months ago make comments in another post on a different subject but cannot find it at this moment in time.  Basically, the X-Flow unit is getting a little old now but still is a cracking engine.  Have a Google search to understand the X-Flow history and success that followed.

The main reason X-Flow's are reported to leak oil, water and experience mechnical failures is, in my opinion poor assembly of the relevant components.  During my time I have rebuilt more X-Flow's than enough and have never had problems afterwards, just use plenty of care and attention to detail during the rebuild.

Finally, you do not need a modern engine producing a shed full of BHP to make a Westfield a fast car.  What you do need is a car that has all components optimised, e.g. the engine set up on a rolling road by someone with the appropiate experience, Gear ratios that suit your purpose (both Gearbox and Final drive) and Suspension Geometry.  These items optimised will certinally make a difference.

Good luck with the car hunt and let us all know your final dicision and most importantly, enjoy the experience.

• Like 1

im all set to move quickly on a car even got a big pile of pound notes sat here waiting for the right car  :t-up:  

Sorry, I didn't catch your address  :)