What do you reckon on this for a first westie

Sparkymart

I think thats a good  buy for a 97 SeiW. and ripe for an engine transplant, Ive only ever driven 1 1600 cvh and Jeez was it pedestrian  :o  :o  :o  :o  I would buy it remove the cvh and drop a 2.0 zetec in it shouldnt be an expensive conversion and you would end up with a cheap car finished :t-up:  

I did think about that Jeff but how much would it cost to do would I be just worth waiting for a zetec

Martin

I would wait for a Zetec to come along and they do, I've just bought a 1999 SEW 2.0L Zetec blacktop on bike carbs with MOT & Tax for under 5k. A 100 mile run home proved that she runs beautifully and has been very nicely set up. 

She just requires a good check over for safety sake and a little tinkering to enjoy this summer. ;)

Martin 

If the car proves genuine(ie factory build/HPI)Go with your heart. I wanted a BEC (which wouldn`t pass an IVA),found a nice Zetec (ended up write off) & eventually brought a crossflow.....couldn`t be happier.It wouldn`t even come into the equation when looking but it just felt right.......some of the Essex members have seen it and agree it`s a really nice car.Still looking for BEC but can`t imagine getting rid of the xflow.

GOOD LUCK

I did think about that Jeff but how much would it cost to do would I be just worth waiting for a zetec

years ago my pal swapped his Cvh for a red top and tbh after selling all the parts off the cvh and buying red top bits second hand pretty sure only cost him around £500 to swap and wasnt a hard job to do. 

I havnt looked at westys and prices for a while I must confess but last time I looked there was no nice SEIW Zetecs kicking around for under £7500 ? If you can buy them though at that money now I would give this one a miss  ???

Says that he has taken a deposit in the ad ???

never mind that solves that problem... so that makes Two lost in one day  :cry: I do know of a zetec 1.8 on weber 40's which is nice and if its still for sale i think i might get for 7K but that is just over my budget i'll try and work out how to but a photo up and let you haw a look 

there is no need to rush in just yet. there is snow on the ground so your not losing on any blatting time. the one for you at the right money will turn up  :t-up:

shame that looked a cracking car for that sorta money - the color on the arches could easily be changed if not to your taste

shame that looked a cracking car for that sorta money - the color on the arches could easily be changed if not to your taste
It's a fixed arch tub, so I'm guessing the rear arches are either painted or vinyl wrapped.

As said though, it looked a nice car for the money :)

Hi smokey how can you tell from the pictures if it's a fixed arch tub is it anything to do with the lights? I've been trying to work it out

Hi smokey how can you tell from the pictures if it's a fixed arch tub is it anything to do with the lights? I've been trying to work it out

If you look at the inside edge of the rear lights you can see that where the main tub blends with a curve to the arch there is a square recess that the lamp is partially recessed into. On cars with detachable rear arches this recess isn't there and likewise also on narrow bodied cars.

• Like 1

If you look at the inside edge of the rear lights you can see that where the main tub blends with a curve to the arch there is a square recess that the lamp is partially recessed into. On cars with detachable rear arches this recess isn't there and likewise also on narrow bodied cars.

Mine is fixed rear arches, but does not have the recess, just to confuse it ???  :oops:

SAM_0587.jpg

Mine is fixed rear arches, but does not have the recess, just to confuse it ???  :oops:

There's always one smart :arse: but yes at some point things did change, which I can't quite explain. However all those with the cut-out around the rear light are wide bodies. The other place to check is the shoulder panel.... Maybe I should do another FAQ some time?