Gites - The 2013 Offer. SEE THE 2014 OFFER NOW.

Norman Verona

Mark, many thanks. It also turns the 5 to 7 hour drive from Calais to here down to an hour and a half from St Malo or two and a half from Caen.

However, the Portsmouth to Brittany ferry takes 5 hours and it's difficult to do the trip in one day. Most travel overnight. (unless you live near Portsmouth)

No worries - the ferries have plenty of cabins to relax and chill out in + cinema, bars, restaurants and even entertainment during the summer - more relaxing way to travel - I always use the ovenight service - around 3 hours drive to Plymouth or Portsmouth from the Midlands as an example

I also use the overnight when I go that way. However, most of the time we go via Dover as it's much cheaper and I don't mind pressing on on a long journey.

My record time from here to Calais was 3.5 hours. In the 7 at about 120 mph all the way (other them for fuel stops)

LAST WEEK FOR THE DELAYED PAYMENT OFFER.

If you want to spend some time here but can't fix dates yet than drop me an email or pm and register your booking. I will then add you to the delayed payment list and we can sort dates out later.

"go via Dover as it's much cheaper"

Do make sure to check your maths for overall costs - Looking at ferry/ chunnel costs alone it certainly does look to be the cheapest option to get to France - however, check your mileage for additional driving - extra fuel, tolls, stops for refreshment, vehicle wear and tear with extra miles - a lot does depend on your start point and destination - for me I've used all options and checked total costs and there is very little difference in overall ;) Timewise for me it all works out around 13 hours door to door whatever route - so prefer an overnight sleeper ferry and let someone else the drive while I relax :d

I have studied it and at 48 mpg Calais-Dover is cheaper. Also we can do it non-stop in one day. 

But I do agree there isn't much in it. At the moment the cheapest ferry fare is DFDS at £89 return. I can do here to Sheffield on one tank, so another £75. Food and refreshments would probably be the same. 

So, one is £239 plus sustenance and the other is £358 plus fuel and sustenance. 

I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning that Calais-Dover route gets us from here to there in the same day whereas Portsmouth-St Malo is across two days.

Sod the calculations. The ONLY way to France is the tunnel, but then I was a railway engineer......

BTW Norm, are dogs allowed at your Gite? As in 3 dogs?

I always use the tunnel if on my own. But HM won't as she reads too many horror stories of getting stuck in there and is claustrophobic.

Not too bothered about dogs as long as their controllable. HM is not supposed to go near them as she's allergic to cats and dogs. She wouldn't be happy if they jumped up at her.

We'll be in Derby in the last week of May, HM father lives at Spondon.

Understand.

Hey! You could come to the Derby/Notts meet at Shardlow, Thursday 30th. You'd be very welcome, both.

gotta say the Tunnel is a fantastic way to cross the channel :yes: ............... just a pity its also at the end of the M25/M20 :(  :down: zzzzzz

Where it seems to rain a lot, especially in a Westy with no hood .....

Kerry, I may try and get that sorted. I was going to drop HM off at her fathers and go off somewhere else. However I may just go out to lunch with them, spend the afternoon there and pop over to Shardlow to meet you all.

best leave it as if I turn up she's in a good mood.  :)

• Like 1

Really looking forward to meeting you and Lynn, Linda will be in touch this coming week to arrange a money transfer...thanks for doing this special for club members Norm we appreciate it.

• Like 1

Steve, money's not due until March. I'll email you with details. 

If the currency's a problem (it's Sterling not Euros) let me know and we'll sort it.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.