Bye Bye all - I`m barred - how shortsighted!

hilux

Hey Echoz, where are you mate? how old are you? can you tow and are you pretty?  

Theres room in my truck for one more body but you will have to sit on my lap in the tractor (the lads call it the Jimmy Saville mobile..... Now then, now then...)  

Seriously, if you can get to Northampton next week we have a taster day on the 17th with guest from the WSCC.  We also work all over the UK and Europe cutting wood and climbing stuff.  

It a minimum wage job for the groundies and those with no tickets but within a decade you could be earning £8 an hour and within 15 years £12 an hour so it pays well.    

When we are cutting (from Sep 1st to March 1st) we work 14 hours a day 6 days a week.  then we have April to September either at home relaxing or climbing in Australia/NZ.

At the moment we are felling lakeside tree's and get £7.65/tree for felling, sending, cutting to 3m length and hauling to roadside (1m +) - it's all piece work but if you crack on you can clear 200 tree's a day between a team of 4 skins.  You can do the maths.  Less your fuel, insurance, renewals and repairs, PPE and food (i eat 6,000 calories a day and my food bill in tescos is £300 a week) you can still make a good turn.

I was an Underwriter for an Agency to Allianz AG in London, Munich and Paris for nearly 10 years, pin stripe suit, wine bar di*k and all that - took up tree work as I CHOSE to do it and since then havent looked back - no day feels like work as it's just very enjoyable but it isnt for everyone.  

I know have a brewery and make all my own beer and cider and get to spend 365 days a year outside - i love it.  It has it's stresses but if you need a change and a career where it's up to you how much you earn and when you want to earn it then it's great. 

PM me if you want any further help...

James Alexander (Arborista) 

• Like 1

Nice work, Kingston! :)

Hmmm...PM is enabled, so don't understand that one.  Maybe you need to sign out and back in again.  Give that a try.

I've enabled viewing member profiles now, so that should be OK.

One last thing...did you want that echoz display name changing?  (Your sign in details will remain unchanged.)

Scott, don't take my little echo away. He's lovely just..... 

like that, like that, like that, like that, like that, like that

HM has just walked in and says I need to get a life. I've no idea what she means.

• Like 1

Theres room in my truck for one more body but you will have to sit on my lap in the tractor (the lads call it the Jimmy Saville mobile..... Now then, now then...)  

Seriously, if you can get to Northampton next week we have a taster day on the 17th with guest from the WSCC.  We also work all over the UK and Europe cutting wood and climbing stuff.  

It a minimum wage job for the groundies and those with no tickets but within a decade you could be earning £8 an hour and within 15 years £12 an hour so it pays well.    

When we are cutting (from Sep 1st to March 1st) we work 14 hours a day 6 days a week.  then we have April to September either at home relaxing or climbing in Australia/NZ.

At the moment we are felling lakeside tree's and get £7.65/tree for felling, sending, cutting to 3m length and hauling to roadside (1m +) - it's all piece work but if you crack on you can clear 200 tree's a day between a team of 4 skins.  You can do the maths.  Less your fuel, insurance, renewals and repairs, PPE and food (i eat 6,000 calories a day and my food bill in tescos is £300 a week) you can still make a good turn.

I was an Underwriter for an Agency to Allianz AG in London, Munich and Paris for nearly 10 years, pin stripe suit, wine bar di*k and all that - took up tree work as I CHOSE to do it and since then havent looked back - no day feels like work as it's just very enjoyable but it isnt for everyone.  

I know have a brewery and make all my own beer and cider and get to spend 365 days a year outside - i love it.  It has it's stresses but if you need a change and a career where it's up to you how much you earn and when you want to earn it then it's great. 

:t-up:  like that a lot :t-up:

Echoz, try it. You never know, you may fit in perfectly.

I'm not preaching but I've always tried to do what I like and when fed up with that move on*. 

Go along and see if it's OK. Just think how many birds you'll pull sitting in the pub looking like a lumberjack.

* Not that I've had many jobs. 5 years as an apprentice and they left me rather than the other way round*, then 6 weeks at an Aston dealer but as I was the only one with any tools other than a hammer and chisel I left. A year at a Vauxhall dealer and left the owner with blood dripping from his nose down his silk shirt (he was more worried about the shirt). I joined a dealership around the corner and was there for 35 years. But never did the same job for more than 10 years. At one point I took a huge cut in money as I gave up the fiddle to go on the board. But it paid of in the end.

Obligatory:

Cheers Scott - thats made a cold lumberjack very happy.... glad ive got Debbies tights on today......

Heya fella, massively appreciate the message :)

I'm down in deepest darkest Dorset, just by a little town called Sherborne, according to google maps 143 miles to Northampton! I'm 22. what do you mean by tow? legally on the road I'm not sure, and I don't have any experience towing anything, but I know the principles and am sure it would be something I would pick up with ease. 

Dont know if I'm classed as pretty, guess it's a matter of taste :d

No problem with lap sitting haha! I want a racing car fir Christmas please Jim! :laugh:

Sounds like something I'd really enjoy, outsidey hard work doing something useful with a chance to progress if you want :) Been thinking about this recently as my little sisters boyfriend did it up in Scotland for 3 months earning £120 a day and he's only 17! 

Will test out the Cap'n's skills and see if I can wing you a pm :)

Oh and I like the idea of owning your own cider brewery! ;)

Nice work, Kingston! :)

Hmmm...PM is enabled, so don't understand that one.  Maybe you need to sign out and back in again.  Give that a try.

I've enabled viewing member profiles now, so that should be OK.

One last thing...did you want that echoz display name changing?  (Your sign in details will remain unchanged.)

No worries fella :)

will test out the pm's now see if I can pm James :)

And I think should just leave it as echoz, I feel obliged now Norm said haha! I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it haha! I do feel he'll be disappointed should he ever meet me to find that I'm anything but little though :laugh:

Echos, sounds good.  Better news for you is that we work out of Yeovil quite often so when I next have a job down there come and have a go as it aint worth you driving up here for a 6 hour shift.  I will happily buy you a pint and meet up when i'm down West next.

The best place for you to learn at your age is College - get enrolled and get funding from Govt, Princes Trust, Job Seekers and get your tickets paid for.

The you will learn to be an arborist and not a pikey.... lopping and topping is long gone, as is burning wire and selling heather....

As you are young the world is your oyster - don't chase a quick buck as it will leave you short in the long run - we say to the green horns (young loggers) it's not how high you climb - it how you climb high...... meaning take your time, research what you want to dau and formulate a plan. 

Happy to help.....

Kingston Maurward College do short courses in Dorchester 

http://www.kmc.ac.uk/kc/content/advancedsearch?SearchContentClassID=26&Content_search_attribute_patterntext_classattribute_id%5B%5D=228&Content_search_attribute_patterntext_value%5B%5D=&Content_search_attribute_fulltext_classattribute_id%5B%5D=226&Content_search_attribute_fulltext_value%5B%5D=Arboriculture&Content_search_attribute_fulltext_classattribute_id%5B%5D=227&Content_search_attribute_fulltext_value%5B%5D=Part+Time&SearchButton=Search

Most definitely Sir, if I can work out how to send a PM :blush: I shall fire you across my mob number if you wouldn't mind, would love to come do a taster day! 

Couldnt agree more, spent a lot of time chasing a quick buck, and it never works, not to sound like I expect everyone to do it for me, but I've lacked any guidance all through my life about what to do for a career, I got my gcse's, stayed and did A levels too, just cause i didn't know what I wanted to do, tried uni, couldnt stand it, didnt want to do what i was studying, was a tragic waste of time money and self esteem, lesson learnt lol! 

I don't want to be rich, I just want to get by :) to have a nice car that I want and can enjoy owning, a house wit ha bedroom, kitchen, living room and bathroom and a smile on my face, not much to ask is it aye :) 

Just looking at that link, are all those courses relevant and something I would have to do at some point or another to gain said tickets? or are their certain ones I should have a look through? :)

This club really is awesome isn't it :)

[satisfied grin mode on]

Echoz, just do what James suggests. I think you've learnt there is no such thing as a quick buck or an overnight success. 

Success comes from very hard and dedicated work. Nothing is too much trouble and the customer is always right, even when he's wrong.

There are many of us on here who started our careers as apprentices. My pay, for the first 6 months was £3/3/0 (£3.15p in todays money).

It worked out well for me and I suspect, all those others on here who started at the bottom.

[/satisfied grin mode off]

By the way, I hope, in 20 years time as your tree company goes public and you become a millionaire you'll think back to this club and how you started out on the road to success.