Young Newbie Westfield Owner :-)

DAN_B

Hello all, nice to meet the world of Westy drivers! (And become part of it!)

I have just brought my first proper Westfield, and I'm in love!

I did own a Locost (Westfield-wannabe) about two years ago and she did teach me a lot about the world of kit cars, but she had to go to fund the deposit on our first house!

Only being 22, I have a lot to learn and I'm no where near a mechanic (electrician actually!) But I'm willing to try and learn and plan to really do as much as possible :-)

I cannot fault my Westy, except one thing which you maybe able to help with... From cold, she struggles and takes awhile to get going, but when warm, she starts first time?!

She has a Ford 1.6 CVH with twin webers, so some pointers would be good as its not ideal! I plan to start with the plugs and maybe the leads? But she has electronic ignition which I don't know anything about, could that be part of the reason?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Regards, Dan.

Welcome and have fun. I can't answer your question but someone will be along shortly no doubt.

:t-up:

Welcome! Your joining is much appreciated and you'll find it to be the best £30 you can spend. :)

I have the same setup as you - don't worry, it's probably down to getting used to the world of twin DCOEs. Generally, you just need to learn how to cold start it. Usually, it's 3-4 full accelerator pumps when starting from cold, then blipping the throttle for 10-15 seconds after it starts until the idle settles down. This is a TADTS - shorthand for "they all do that, sir"! :d. Just takes a while to learn the best way to do it. They are much happier once warmed up. :)

Just get to know each other and enjoy!

Welcome Dan to the mad Westfield forum :)

Agree with the above regarding cold starting though a quick oil/filter change and checking the plugs and leads wouldn't hurt at least you will know its ready for a blat.

Where bouts are u as there will usually be someone local willing to help

Phil

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the club, look forward to seeing you at a local WSCC meeting?

Agree with comments already made about starting process and the need to warm up a little before driving.

Keep posting if you need advice and if you are really stuck I am in Tamworth just the other side of Birmingham from yourself but I am sure there are other members much closer than me!

Martyn

Hello all, Thank you for the warm welcome!

I've just tried the 3-4 pumps of the accelerator, and it did start quicker, still a bit of a struggle, but if others have the same problem then I guess it's part and parcel of the older engine, I will try different techniques and see how I go :-) Thanks.

And I'm in South Birmingham, be good to find out who's near? Thanks for the offer Martyn, if your cars still on the road or when the better weather comes we'll have to go for a spin :-)

Cheers, Dan

get the GF to push it for you.... it works when mine dont start for the for the first mile anyway - then she gets tired.....

Dan, you have two different local area meets not far away, the Black Country meet and the Warwickshire meet. Take a look here and click on the pins for details.

http://www.wscc.co.uk/local.htm

Go and meet other like-minded owners. :)

Welcome, enjoy your new toy.

Put some pictures up so we can start spending your money for you, it wont be long until you catch the dreaded disease called upgradeitus!

Welcome, enjoy your new toy.

Put some pictures up so we can start spending your money for you, it wont be long until you catch the dreaded disease called upgradeitus!

To that there is no cure. It's like Pringles once you start there's no stopping til the bank runs dry and the credit card is maxed. :)

To that there is no cure. It's like Pringles once you start there's no stopping til the bank runs dry and the credit card is maxed. :)

Not only is there no cure, it is highly contagious!

She hasn't needed a push yet, but I'm sure the other half won't mind if she ever does! Ha!

Yeah I'll put some pictures up, but I'm not sure how, don't think I can off my iPad?!

Long term, I'd like a bike engine/ carbs.... But that will now involve saving and plus I want to stick with what I've got and actually learn to drive it! I'm no where near the level of driver as you guys!

Can't wait to get on some runs with a group of Westy's! (Plus the track days ;-) )

I'm no where near the level of driver as you guys!

I think you may be overestimating the collective's skill set somewhat! :d