• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Off To Goodwood Revival Next Weekend....fancy Dress Options?

Lordbenny

You barstewards! I am terminally jealous having been once and sworn that I will go again every year and failed to do so! I went about four years ago and the weather was perfect and the whole event magical. I only baulked at going this year because the summer has been so rubbish that I din't fancy the cost of standing in the rain. The poor man's Revival is now the Kop Hill Climb at Princes Risborough next weekend. Lots of nice machines there and admission is cheap too.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mooch

• Lordbenny

• M444TTB

• Man On The Clapham Omnibus

I went with my wife yesterday (sat) and I have to say it is without doubt a must see for everyone. I spent as much time looking at those entering into the spirit as looking at the cars. we had tickets for the Woodcote stand and it was worth the extra money as the view was great and the racing was fantastic. seeing cars worth tens of £1000s being powerslide and giving no quarter was spectacular. We saw more pure driving and over takes in one race than a whole series of F1.

Negatives was the cost, £62 per ticket plus £50 or so for the grandstand, bacon roll £6 cup of tea or coffee £1.90 you get the idea. For me it was worth it but I can understand many would find it extorion.

For the ladies in your life it is a great opportunity to dress up and go back to an era where people were more polite. It was strange how the dress made people feel like being polite, raising your hat to a lady seemed to go down very well.

For me it was better than the Festival of Speed as it is smaller but the racing is the main part. also it doesn't seem to have become just another event to be ticked of by every social climber.

Nice get up Lord Benny

My problem was that the ladies in 1950s glamorous costume looked like my aunties used to! Would it be a sin to lust retrospectively after one's aunt? :oops:

My problem was that the ladies in 1950s glamorous costume looked like my aunties used to!

I refer the honourable gentleman to Lord Benny's photos. Those Glam Cabs girls (and others of the same ilk) sent my vest up and down my back like a roller blind....if you hadn't noticed, I think Benny was in the photos, too...... :p

Ah yes, they are attractive and beautiful, but there's this lingering Freudian worry that I shouldn't be leering at ladies who, when I last saw them dressed like that, were adults and I was a small boy. They remind me of Japanese girls in traditional costume; gift wrapped and just meant to be carefully unwrapped... :p

Owdo

went to goodwood on the Saturday. First time for me and can honestly say wont be the last. between the war planes and the cars, was hard to get everything done in a day so will try for a weekened next time. will get some pictures up this afternoon

Boney

First time for me (Sunday), Chickened out left the westi at home.

Great day out so much to see,I agree with Jeff regarding cost. especially extra to enter paddock.

Probably try the festival next year.

Worth the ticket price for the air show alone, well almost.

Brundle brilliant in the E type.

Thank God weather better than last year and no one got hurt as far as I know.

Great weekend, roll on next September.

• 1 year later...

Having just booked two Sunday tickets for my first ever trip to the Revival I was going to start a topic similar to this one. Thought it would be worth simply reviving it instead!

I 100% want to enter into the spirit of things and dress appropriately but I've no idea what to go for. I don't really want to go for military uniform and I'm not sure driver or mechanic's dress is the done thing if you aren't fulfilling that role on the day. So in short I have no idea so I'm very much open to suggestions! It need to be something I could potentially drive my aeroscreen'd Westfield all the way there in too.

Hi, Matt,

Anything from the period when the circuit was operating as a race venue (1930 - 1966 ish) will be OK, so you'll see women dressed as 'flappers' as well as in mini skirts, beehive hairdos and long white boots. For the chaps, it could be as simple as a pinstripe suit and a trilby.

Probably boils down to 3 options for you:

Military uniform - lots of chaps don uniform, overwhelmingly RAF.  The trouble is they tend to buy modern uniforms on e-bay thinking they look the part!  For us ex-military types it is just wrong - the use of modern insignia and medals drive me nuts.  If you are going to do it, go proper with battle dress, imperial crown badges and real brass buttons, handlebar moustache, pipe etc.  But you are not doing that, anyway.

Period mechanic - easy option.  White overalls, brown leather belt round the waist, flat cap, smudge of oil/soot on exposed flesh.

Period dress/gentleman racer look - tweed jacket, moleskin trousers, check shirt, flat cap, cravat, brogues.  What we always do and it works a treat.

No-nos include:

Any jeans, unless you are on a BSA GoldStar with leather jacket and a DA hairstyle

Not bothering.  If you decide to go and think dressing the part is too difficult, you will stick out like a sore thumb.  If all else fails, a trilby/flat cap and a cravat will get you by, what ever you wear with it.

Have fun!

Here's how Jon and I drove down first time we went:

IMGP1818.jpg

And my driver for the day...

IMGP1814-1.jpg