Comprehensive Or Incomprehesible?

housebuilder

Or even Julian Turner?

It was the same 12 years ago with my first kit.

Unless you are regularly buying things in volume like the Nissans of this world then trying to get what you want when you want it is a nightmare. Yes it shouldn't be and all of us who have experience of bigger industries can't understand why the problem.

But they are buying very low volume parts where suppliers just don't stock things. Lead times are promised by suppliers and then broken. Also the guys in the stores are not helped by Westfield's very poor payment history, which gives them even less clout. A thankless task.

Doesn't help you guys whose kits are not complete and I can't understand the management logic in paying for missing parts to be shipped, but that's the situation.

I think this is a problem with most small businesses and Westfield are not alone with this situation. GBS have similar issues and I know of a couple of people who bought complete Zero kits and are still waiting on parts months later. As mentioned, it is often the suppliers who cause the delays. GBS are trying to rectify some of it by producing more in house and have invested in a CNC machine along with the normal jigs etc. I bought my car in parts as I needed them, but often had to wait for items to come into stock before I could buy them. At least I didn't pay in advance for bits I didn't have. I wouldn't have been happy with that.

Any issues I did have have long been forgotten now the car is one the road.

It was the same 12 years ago with my first kit.

Ditto with mine in 1999; but the parts guys always bent over backwards to help me out so build delays were slight at worst and the car was completed in 4 months - and has been a joy ever since.

And lets not forget that apart from chassis, bodywork, rear uprights, rear wishbones and screen mounts and the screen itself, *everything* else can be bought from alternative suppliers. There is no need to wait for weeks when Partco probably has it in stock...

And lets not forget that apart from chassis, bodywork, rear uprights, rear wishbones and screen mounts and the screen itself, *everything* else can be bought from alternative suppliers. There is no need to wait for weeks when Partco probably has it in stock...

True but when you've already paid once !!!!!!!!!!!

You ask for a refund on undelivered parts... I didn't think that companies were allowed to take payment for stuff that wasn't immediately deliverable, except for a notified lead time. Certainly if you're shopping on-line, this is the case. But one quick phone call to say refund me the price I paid for xxxxxxxx should be all it takes. As a consumer you have plenthy of rights in this area, more if part of the payment, like the initial deposit for instance, has been made by credit card...

I understand the need for a balanced viewpoint and giving "the benefit of the doubt" however, it would seem that WF haven't learnt over the years and continue to use ineffective practice to get items in and out to customers in a reasonable time.

Someone commented that WF being a small company would be pushed down the list by suppliers if a bigger order is in from a bigger company .. how does that work exactly when it comes to engines and gearboxes? Who else out there is ordering 'larger' quantities of these over small businesses .. is someone competing with Ford to build the Fiesta? LOL!

Off the shelf stock is almost a thing of the past, I understand, but isn't that for items rarely bought, not the standard parts for a new build. Ultimately, what I find curious is that WF take a customer's deposit with a promise to deliver 'x' amount of a kit by a 'y' date. THAT date should reflect when they know (even approximately) that the parts will be available .. not 4 months+ behind!!

Just had a quick read through this post, and what's quoted above is quite true. So if we can all get hold of those bits from somewhere without waiting, why can't Westfield.

I have to buy goods in, and if a supplier, often a multi national doesn't stock what I need anymore I change. I like to keep a bit of loyalty to my suppliers, but not if it means letting my customers down.

Unfortunately for most new customers, they don't realise that the parts are freely available elsewhere until after they have coughed up...

• Like 1

Unfortunately for most new customers, they don't realise that the parts are freely available elsewhere until after they have coughed up...

Much as I think the car is great and really looking forward to us having it, I wouldn't buy another full kit. If I knew what I know now I would buy the basics and source the rest myself ! you do live and learn.

Buying a full kit was for me a way of making sure all was to hand and to make a first build as painless as possible ! the reverse is actually the case !

• Like 1

I guess the main thing is, that it will all get there, and once built, all the hassle forgotten.

But, it really would be very unlikely any of us have more contacts, and more buying power than Westfield as individuals alone. So if we can get all the bits, but they can't, it doesn't really make too much sense.

Got to admit that the incomplete kit i got was annoying, and if i do another one i will source my own parts.

I have been waiting three weeks for some water pipes which are manufactured by Westfield themselves, and they are out of stock

But, it really would be very unlikely any of us have more contacts, and more buying power than Westfield as individuals alone.

Depends on what you're buying. A few years ago, prior to the current management, WSC Ltd were selling 40 quid Polo rads for a 3 figure sum.

A trawl through the on line store to compare prices is easy enough to do these days so as a buyer it is much easier to make an informed choice...