Comprehensive Or Incomprehesible?

housebuilder

OK

So taking on board what everyone had said I was expecting a few bits to be missing from my 'comprehensive kit' when I collected it yesterday.

Apparently Simon had been 'trying' to get hold of me but despite having 2 email addresses a land line and amobile number I hadn't any missed messages!

A very appologetic greeting resulted in this list of missing bits so far;

Universal steering Column Joint

Hand Brake cable and callipers!?

Windscreen

Cycle Wings

Bottom front ball joints!!!!!!

All instruments

Heater kit

Indicator Pods

Header tank hose

Propshaft!!

Both harnesses

The steering column

Poor is the only way to describe this.

Oh and I nearly forgot.

They also forgot the complete engine block, the gear box and the exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!

A happy chappy I am not

It's going to cost alot to post all that to you.

If its any consolation we travelled a hell of a long way to collect two kits with what I would describe as most of them missing ! To be fair a lot of stuff has been sent on but we still have no engines, steering columns,windscreens,dash etc etc.

In my view for an outlay of this size the shortages are not very good. I am being kind as I find Westfield very nice people and feel like kicking a puppy knocking them there is clearly a problem and I don't want to speculate what that may be !

I hope there is not more to this than meets the eye

Mine had a similar list, so far Westfield have managed to get the shortages (chassis wiring harness, front lower ball joints and shock absorbers) shipped to me before any impact on the build, although it be better to tell them what your priorities are than assume that they'll be sent out during the forecast week.

While I was picking up the kit they did say that they had to find a new suppliers for heated windscreens and 4 Point harnesses due to the suppliers going bust but I can't see me needing them for a while!

shame about the suppliers. I can just imagine giving someone a new house and telling them the boiler and electrics would follow later!!

sorry! supplier let me down!!!!

The fact we are clearly enthusiasts as we must be or we would not have bought the cars, makes us a little more inclined to accept issues which maybe others would not ! Frankly if I had spent my 18k at a car dealership and turned up to collect an incomplete vehicle then the salesman would have been told where to stick the car !

Minor shortages and omissions are one thing but for most of the major components not to be available on collection day is disturbing !

I dunno but stock outs are not uncommon at the moment - I buy from 40 or so main suppliers and most have regular issues despite us holding 2.5 months worth of stock as a buffer

trouble is a lot of the product is made in China coupled with manufacturers lowering their stocks plus not having the confidence to invest in stock means on occasion stock outs of 3-6 months

how much of this is relevant to westfield I don't know - we have only had one UK manufacturer supplier go pop on us

talking to Russ the other day he was saying that Gavin was back this week and the baby although very small (2.6 pounds) is starting to put on weight - best wishes from Cleggy

do the list of contents show you what is to follow or are they picking errors?

Lists seem to be fairly constant (engine/TBs/ECU/lower ball joints/hd brake cable/windscreen/heater/4 pt harnesses) and they are itemised on a shortages list so not errors.

Before we collected our cars we were asked if we could delay collection, I may have happily done so but we were committed to something like £1500.00 in travel costs already which were none refundable. It seems difficult to understand by just how long however we were going to be asked to delay as here we are a calendar month later and we still have no engines, windscreens, dash,steering column, harnesses etc !

The shipping costs are clearly very high and there is a growing number of slightly miffed customers ! not an ideal way to conduct business imo.

I know it's a poor situation, but I do think many really over estimate the size of Westfield as a company. Both in terms of their number of staff and in their stock holding.

This is made worse by a large swathe of industry moving to "just in time" purchase and supply policies. A descision now wreaking havoc with lead times and product availability.

I know it's a poor situation, but I do think many really over estimate the size of Westfield as a company. Both in terms of their number of staff and in their stock holding.

This is made worse by a large swathe of industry moving to "just in time" purchase and supply policies.

"Just in Time" (JIT) -- properly implemented -- has no effect on delivery. However, there is another system which was much operated by Rover Cars which the industry knew as "TFL".

Difficult to believe that a supplier of engines or gearboxes could have gone bust without our hearing about it (RIP TranX). But there can be other reasons for supply difficulties.

• Like 1