• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

C20XE intake manifold fits SEiW

Mike-SEiW

Buy your engine mount insulators from Rally Design - raldes.co.uk. They do rigid ones in two heights that will screw into the westfield mounts.

We had a local member that did the same as you using the std injection set up. I think you'll find when you assemble the bodywork to the car that the profile of the bonnet will hit the side of the intake plenum, necesitating cutting a hole in the side for clearance. It wasn't pretty but I suppose it got him going until he was able to afford some throttle bodies / carbs & a new bonnet.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike-SEiW

• Martin Keene

• stu999

• windy

Mike, don't forget, when you eventually switch to carbs that you can still use the original Bosch ECU to provide sparks, will give you 3D ignition + knock sensor, ran mine with it for 3 years.

Russ ;)  ;)

Thanks for the tips, it may be a little tight at the top as the bonnet seems to "curve" inwards.

I finished the mounts today and took this pic:

bild%20002.jpg

There is about 30mm of clearance. I think this is plenty.

But as you say, the bonnet could be the problem. I'll find out later on I guess when I try it.

Regardless of this, I can now make the rear gearbox mount and have a driveshaft shortened so I'm one small step closer to a finished car :)

This is a great post cos as a newbie I can at least see what you are talking about.

This way I can learn what all you bits look like fnaar fnaar and ask less dim questions in the future.

Keep the piccys coming!

Mr Chumley Warner

He He.... Wait till you get the alternator on!

Even with the alternator on minimum adjustment I could make the engine move enough to touch the sprocket to the frame on any left hand corner.

I've now got a diahatsu alternator and I can still do it on select corners (I'm getting braver)

That's 30-40mm of movement!

I've ordered hard mounts now to try and compensate...

It's really down to the design of the mounts I am told... They ought to be angle so the engine sits in a V, but they are flat and the rubber mounts are not really designed for the sideways load that can be imparted.

I might still end up making some out of 30mm polyethylene plastic - effectively solid mounting... Probably need a dry sump by then though...

Your manifold will touch and it will drive you mad... Get carbs... More Power, less plumbing, less electronics, less hassle!

...©

It still amazes me that in this club we have a wealth of westfield knowledge provided by a lot of very, very knowledgeable people who have and are working in motorsport and associated industries who have dealt with westfields and and in partilcular the fitting vx XE range into westy's and for some reason chaz you thing they know sweat FA ;)  

I know it costs money for TB's etc but the recipe for disaster is looming plus the cost your adventure. It has been tried so many times B4 and hasn't worked very well plus if your happy with an engine running at half best well as they say 'you're on your own'

I just wish you look in your erm...well good look

Buzz :cool:

i think from mike's avatar that his is going to be left hand drive, and in the first picture i think i can make out the glass fibre clutch rest thing installed in the left hand side as well which would back that up.

mike, where do you live if it is lhd?

Has that top chassis rail got a kink in it ?

i'm glad you said that... i've been looking at it thinking i've been going mad (or blind) but it looks a bit squiffy to me as well...

Responding to your last post Buzz.

What have I said that gives you the impression that I think people on here know sweet FA.

I have the utmost respect for all of the people who use the foreum, many of whome have helped or offered help since I became a Westfield owner about 3 years ago.

All I posted here on this thread was that the top chassis rail in the picture looked a bit bendy.

Are you mistaking me for Mike-SEiW?

Chaz.

The top chassis rail is a little bent I agree. I have not seen it until I took these pictures. It is exaggerated by the dust that is on top of the rail also. I haven't done any mods to it and it wasn't damaged in transport.

I should think a torque strap would take care of some of the horisontal movement, but probably a re-design of the mounts is needed   :(

But after yesterdays posts I have come to accept that the stock manifold is too wide for the bonnet, grr.. So I get to do a new intake manifold of my own design  :cool: . (dreaming of a CF intake...)

I am in Sweden, we drive on the right side of the road which is the left side, ha-ha. So yes, steering column is on the exhaust side. Interesting thing is that the chassis itself is still RHD adapted, whichmeans passengers get more room than drivers ...  :arse:  Hopefully when volumes increase on non-RHD markets this may change but I don't care enough to wait.

In response to Buzz's post re the wealth of knowledge and my challenging of it, the reason is three-folded:

1) I like to find things out for myself

2) if I ask and do not get a satisfactory answer I keep plugging away with questions and statements/theories/hypotheses until somebody who knows the answer responds (but which previously maybe couldn't be b*******ed to give a full answer or not answer at all or maybe doesn't visit the forum so often - which is maybe the most likely reason because most people here seem to be reasonable people)

3) Sometimes "accepted" knowledge can turn out to be discarded and as long as it doesn't cost me much in terms of time and $$, then I'm gonna try and see for myself and maybe get some cred that way or get a reputation as a general pain in the :arse: for trying ;):D

I also like to be a little cheeky and see the response. Most people realise the irony or sarcasm and respond that way which makes forum-life so much more enjoyable :) I sincerely hope noone is offended. In that case, I want to reiterate that I like irony and sarcasm and hope that the little smilies make it easier to get through.

As for language - my mother tongue is English but I am Swedish-born and carry that passport. So now you guys know me some and what makes me tick or not.

I want to reiterate that I like irony and sarcasm and hope that the little smilies make it easier to get through.

In that case Mike, can you start a new thread with the revised score? :D  :D  :D

Cheers, Stu. :t-up:  :sheep:  :devil:

Mike, I admire your attitude, good luck to you, if everyone waited for someone else to do it first we would all be reading by candlelight !

However, there is no way that you bonnet is going to fit !

Russ