• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Hello from essex

Kevin Pullen

well people will prob start shouting at me for saying this :p  but My personal preference is certainly bike engined, have tried both, a few reasons why......

1. insurance, so so much cheaper for a bike engined car supposed to say a vx red top lump for instance

2. cheaper tax

3. lighter

4. cheaper to maintain and service, (ok a pinto would be very cheap)

god do I sound like a proper skin flint lol, but hey this is only my opinion and hey what does that mean. if you are after performance then IMHO bike is the way forward, as I said I'm sure many people will disagree with me lol... the only down side is TORQUE....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark (smokey mow)

• sparky21

• Kevin Pullen

• Pistol Pete

Cheers Sparky

In your honest opinion.... Are there big reliability issues with hayabusa engines?

Noticed that extreme engines do some amazing things with them...But have heard of a few busas going bang,or if not they certainly had some problems with them...

Sorry another question... What costs are involved in installing a busa engine.. Ive noticed that westys running busas are pretty expensive even with standard engines.

Realize theres the engine cost, then reverse box..but other than that everythings the same as with a car engine isnt it?

well previous to the xtr2 had a 919 fireblade engined car and anyone will tell you that thoses engines will  bounce off rev limiter all day long and never miss a beat, ok they are only around 130bhp but still enough to get a 450kg car to 60 in 4 - 4.5sec, again everyone will have a different story to tell you bout certain bike engines, a standard busa (180bhp) will certainly be very very reliable, ok strapping a supercharger on it like mine has will obviously put more stress on everything but hey its not an everyday car. I would love a car with a post 2006 r1 engine 180bhp from a 1litre and 17000 rpm  :p  :p , zx12r great engine, dont touch blackbird engine!!!!! talk from experience there lol....

just seen your other question..... reverse has been taken out as are useless but in the 6 years of owning bike engined cars with no reverse have not once been caught out, hey they weigh 400-450kg you can push it with one hand......

I owned a civic type r (ep3) which was a cracking little car at the time... 200hp and only 1240kg.Thing was...until you reached 6000rpm there was bugg3r all power,and at 8250 you were hitting the revlimiter... I know this isnt the same as a  bike engine, but the low torque,could mean  constant gear changes like with the type r?

Figured that a bigbore busa will have a lot more torque, but also reliability issues when youre pushing out over 250hp!

A couple of weeks ago I really fancied going down the type r engine route... DMFperformance offer awesome engines for pretty cheap prices... 300hp 2.3ltr incl.ecu drysump itbs for 8k..

revs to 9500!!!

Was talked out of it tho..... Think it would have got costly.. And lots of probs with the fitting of engine.

also had an ep3 type r, great cars. but lets face it if your just out for a cruise and in traffic i wack it in 6th and can cruise along at 50-60 all day long prob getting reasonable mpg, not that that matters at all lol.... and when you want to push well 12800rpm is a great noise, yes most of the westfield megabusa's are quite dear I think, there is one on piston heads for 8.5k ish which is pretty good, wouldnt worry bout mileage at all obviuosly as long as been looked after. had you though bout bike engine at all or not really?

I had absolutely thought about them in the past... Being totally honest I was talked out of them, being told that there not practical for road use, no torque, always having to thrash them to get anything back etc etc etc...

So I never really looked into them again. I think I need to passenger in one so that I can really know(either way).

All I know is that the last time I owned a seven type, it was a bag of nails (pinto).. and this time I want to jump in a the (sort-of) deep end.

Cost ideally I would like to get involved in the track days,and hillclimbs.. And I know that if I go for something with reasonable power ie 150-180hp car engine within a few weeks Ill be wanting to upgrade.

I grew up around fast cars as my dad was a rally driver...allbeit that was quite sometime ago!!!!

Although I said I hadnt really thought about bike engines since I was talked out of it.... I still managed to find extreme engines who have some nice 1598cc big bore ideas  ;)

absolutley fine for road use, god I use the xtr2 with 40mm clearance no reverse and supercharged to 250 ish bhp ( tuned for reliability) but think of that compared to a veyron!!!! I'm not trying to talk you out of ity as there are some great great car engines out there but like I said everyone will have differrent views, ( mostly car engines lol) but like you say try a Bike engine car and vise versa.....

have you had any probs with your engine since the supercharge?

250hp- :D

Is it wayyyyyy faster than before? Or could you still cope with more before its not road worthy anymore?

5000 miles absolute trouble free motoring :p touch wood, cross fingers, lol.... the company that look after it specialize in huyabusa's and people send cars there from uk and europe and swear that a standard busa is one of most bullet proof engines available but also recomend all the fireblades, post 2006 r1's and zxr's, again this is what I'm told but completley trust them and I have a serious case of OCD lol.... 2nd question.... I bought it supercharged so certainly jumped in at deep end lol, from 130bhp fireblade to 250bhp supercharged busa with serious down force lol.. I will still admit I do not take the car any where to the limit to what a pro driver would although I give it my best lol...

:laugh:  

Everyones been telling me to start with a "comfortable" amount of power, and get used to it first..Which is probably sound advice.  :devil: But knowing myself pretty well, I know Ill get bored very quickly...So Im glad to have found someone whose as crazy as me!  :t-up:  

As soon as the summers over Im going to be on the scout for a westy, (i work from march till end october) so the whole winter will be spent sorting the car out!

will more than happily take you out for a drive, one thing I would steer against is buying a car engined one then doing the busa or bike engine transplant, seriously financially a no no but alot would say that is the fun and the reson in owning a kit car :p  and surely you can start with the power and slowly :p  and sensibly get used to it.... if that is possible lol.....

what if i was to come across a megablade (as theres billions of the bugg3rs!) and wanted to convert it to busa... As I dont realls know my way around bike engines at all, what cost would I be looking at?

New ecu price?

Engine around 3k?

New exhaust?

what other costs are there in fitting it?

good question as I have not done this I do not know, but your on the right line I would say...in all honesty asorted fireblade will be great fun and have great reliability.... but like I said I really dont think it is financially liable to do the conversion!! either buy and stick with the fireblade or go the r1 or busa route....

Well I dont know if it matters whether or not I do an engine swap with a foreign engine??? I dont think so...

Cos Ive got a friend who owns a few motorbike dealerships in germany, and he said if I ever wanted a used bike engine, he gets them in all the time (crashed bikes) he said theyre worth next to nothing. He said that r1s or hayabusas are easy to come by.... (says a lot about the drivers!!! Im thinking 180hp in a bike is for most people a little much!)

Thing is I dont know what other costs itll need....Ill look into it after youve convinced me to buy a bike engine, when youve taken me out in yours  ;)