Maintaining a Westfield

stephenh

Both my props have grease nipples on the UJ's. My narrow prop is from the early 90's, my wide prop from the late 90's... I guess like everything else, specs have altered over time.

If they are sealed then no wories. If not, then it may be worth dropping the prop one end at a time and having them out for a look-see...

Mine is an early 90's narrow. Maybe the guy who built it didn't use a Westfield prop and had one made.

Got any pictures of your nipples ( :oops: )  cos mine definately hasn't got any...

:suspect:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• stephenh

• Martin Keene

• adamnreeves

Got any pictures of your nipples (:oops: )  cos mine definately hasn't got any...

Sadly not. But they are regular grease nipples, located in the knuckle of the UJ. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling I've seen UJ's supplied without nipples, but with a grub screw in place to conceal the hole. P'raps a trawl of Google images would shed some light...

This picture shows a universal joint with a hole for a grease nipple. The joiint in question is the second largest of the joints laying down at the foreground of the shot...

Better picture D-Aston-Martin-Leyland-Renault-Triumph-Volvo-Rover-Morgan-Jaguar-Lotus-JensenFiatrefer-lis

tings,name,20613,auction_id,auction_details" target="_blank">here if you scroll down a bit...

Hmm, not hard to miss are they...

Odd. If I get 5 mins at the weekend I'll see if I can find some markings or something on the prop to see if it is a Westfield item or A.N. Other.

Might be worth taking a pick with you to see if you have grub screws in there covered in crud ;)

Both my props have grease nipples on the UJ's. My narrow prop is from the early 90's, my wide prop from the late 90's... I guess like everything else, specs have altered over time.

If they are sealed then no wories. If not, then it may be worth dropping the prop one end at a time and having them out for a look-see...

Mine is an early 90's narrow. Maybe the guy who built it didn't use a Westfield prop and had one made.

Got any pictures of your nipples ( <!--emo&:oops: )  cos mine definately hasn't got any...

Does it have any holes , cos them nipples can work loose and shake out .

Mine did.  

MT75 - sierra diff has one only at the diff end  :t-up:

Is it worth just spraying the UJ with WD40? It seems pretty open and the WD40 should get in there and help lubricate it all...

I should think that if you want to spray a UJ because of a lack of grease nipples, then a spray grease, such as Comma white grease, might be better?

WD40 isn't designed to resist high pressure loads such as in a bearing. That is what greases are used for.

Agreed. The solvents in WD40 aren't good at keeping lubricant held in place. You want something that will stick. If the UJ is sealed, then I think the question is "Where would the lubricant / grease actually go?" It's not like the outers need to move, but it would be a good idea to give them a wipe over with an oily rag every so often... IMO of course...

Agreed. The solvents in WD40 aren't good at keeping lubricant held in place. You want something that will stick. If the UJ is sealed, then I think the question is "Where would the lubricant / grease actually go?" It's not like the outers need to move, but it would be a good idea to give them a wipe over with an oily rag every so often... IMO of course...

Wouldn't that be IMHO? Mr Blatman?

On second thoughts, dont suppose you "do" humble very often? :D  :D  :D  :D

No humility 'cos I'm confident on this one... which is usually how I feel just before I get bitten in the A***... :oops:

• 2 weeks later...
I've been under the back of my Westfield this weekend, and I made a point of looking at the prop. I can confirm that my prop has a grease nipple in the rear UJ, and that is on a Westfield prop just over 2 years old.

• 4 weeks later...
Better picture

D-Aston-Martin-Leyland-Renault-Triumph-Volvo-Rover-Morgan-Jaguar-Lotus-JensenFiatrefer-lis

tings,name,20613,auction_id,auction_details" target="_blank">here if you scroll down a bit...

Well, I was under the car at the weekend having and look and there are no grease nipples or tapped holes to accept a grease nipple.

Weird.