cats!!!!!

DodgeT

Toxocara is carried by both dogs and cats.  It tends to infect people who touch the **** then inadvertently put hand to mouth at some point.  As cats generally bury faeces the most like vector is dogs.

Cats are carnivores, not parasites (qualified ecologist)

Getting a cat will possibly solve the unburied faeces problem but will attract all other cats in the area for the chance of a free meal.  At which point you probably need to start liking cats.

Newton liked cats and also invented the cat flap.

Personally, although I like cats I do think there are too many of them.  Probably due to the propensity of human beings to foist anthropomorphic characteristics upon them and see them as 'cute'.

I remember seeing a study suggesting a significant proportion of all small bird fatalities in urban/suburban areas were due to domestic cat kills.  They DO have a serious ecological impact.

I suspect owls have a more serious impact on small mammal populations.  Owls don't p*** me off either

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Phssthpok

• DodgeT

• damianc

Why would you get a cat to stop your own cat problem, all you would do is give the next person (who doesn't have a cat) the same grief  :(

One of my neighbours has a load of CD disks hanging off his shed, don't know whether this is to deter the cats or pigeons as one of the other neighbours has a pigeon shed (now there's a real problem).

Used to keep Koi (not cheap) a few years ago and caught next doors cat taking a swipe at them, thought it was within reason to deal with it (air rifle). Next door neighbours called the Police and (Gods honest truth) they sent the firearms unit around as they did not know it was an air rifle  :0  Be careful

Once again for the hard of understanding

, unless I missed something in my biology classes it’s cats sha*ging cats that cause kittens, not irresponsible people

It's people that make changes to the balance of nature by bringing animals half way arround the world like....

I've had a North American snapping turtle for 15 years

Thus causing new animals to take over, eg Mink in the UK, Rabbits in Australia etc..

If you are so concerned about local wide life how many North American snapping turtles died to get yours to the centre of the M40?

And as for your stats I think the words "May Be" say it all.

the 9 million cats in Great Britain may be killing 275 million animals per year, including 200 million mammals, 55 million birds and 10 million reptiles and amphibians.

200 million mammals + 55 million birds + 10 million reptiles/amphibians =265 million...

What were the other 10 million animals?  That's rather a large number to be classified "other".  In a feeble attempt to bump up statistics, have they included the eating of spiders and the catching of flies in these statistics? :p

Some how I dont think this one will ever go away!!

Ah well no point in argueing - its just nice knowing that there are millions of cats out there!!  :D  :cool:  ;)

And if any of you hate cats sooooo much then please come on over and see me, I will introduce you to a nice little moggie called Shirka, shes a 5 year old Siberian Tiger who absolutely hates people! Now go and have a chat with her how you hate cats and see how you get on!! ;)  :0  :cool:

And no Feline Psychology is not a ****y and Guilds special either, its actually a recognised professional exam on par with other Degrees. Ta!  :arse:

I will introduce you to a nice little moggie called Shirka, shes a 5 year old Siberian Tiger

Now that's a proper real cat, worth defending and promoting - and its not something that would dump in my garden, unless I was living in Siberia and then that would be doubtful cos some  :arse:  :arse:  :arse: have gone round shooting em.

Hogman you're comparing something from two extremes of the eco scale -  ;)  :p  :D  :)  ???  :)  :D  ;)

Hogman you're comparing something from two extremes of the eco scale -  ;)  :p  :D  :)  ???  :)  :D  ;)

Do you mean a Westfield and a Cat...? :D  :D

Hogman,

Is that offer genuine?

I'd love to come and have a look at some big cats. I've been to Tywcross Zoo a few times and it breaks my heart to see the lions and tigers in such a tiny enclosure. Right next to their little cages is an enorous field which is not being used!

Where abouts are you based?

nice one neville, shame there isnt a cheaper alternative tho cause i could do with 2 of them.

Anyone in electronics care to make some, im sure quite a few of us would buy them, im first tho seeing as i started all this!!!

I'll have a couple  ;)  :D  :)

Hey Ricdiggle

Most of the cats I deal with have been abused/neglected or have suffered one way or another by the hand of man, so generally all are extremely aggressive to the point where they will do harm to themselves or each other, so we generally do not allow anyone except the keepers near them.

Although every now and then we do allow some of the larger donators to come and see them for a short period of time, so I will let you know when the next one is and you could always tag along if you fancy?

It may not be for a while as we dont do it very often!

And be warned whilst they are stunning to look at you try playing with em - hmmmm now thats fun!!!

And as for a domestic and a Tiger being on 2 ends of the eco-scale - noooo the domestic is a wild cat, only they have had sufficient contact with humans (especially in their first 7 weeks of life) so not to be aggresive with us! Now you try and go near a true wild "domestic" cat - believe me you will need stitches!!

And also from a behaviour/pyschological view point both domestic and their bigger cousins (lion, tigers etc) share 90% of the same patterns! Obviously the bigger the cat the more noticable the behaviour!

OK lesson over!!  :love:  :p  :cool:  ;)  :D

I don't actually want to go in the cages with them Hogman! but I would love to take you up on the offer. Let me know where and when.