karts

JeffC

newbie advice required   :durr:  :durr:

Plan to get the kids a kart for xmas , oldest boy is 12 middle one is 10 , took them to the kart track today and they sat in my pals cadet kart which is too small for my oldest but about right for the 10 year old..

Do these things come in various sizes or is it kids and adults  :suspect:  :durr: If I got an adult size is is possible to make a quick release way of changing seat set up so maybe dad could join in the fun  too :D  :D  :oops:  or will I have to buy 2  :suspect:  ???  :sheep:

what is a good kart to buy, do I get something slow or a quick kart and restrict it to stop there Mam having a heartattack when she realises how quick they go  :oops:  :p

oh and my youngest lad is 5 and a dab hand on mario kart on the wii  :laugh: dare I get him one too ( would put mum in an early grave i reckon if i even suggested it  :laugh: )

advice and recomendations  welcomed :t-up:  :t-up:

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Pilot Pete

• slippy

• boblog

Top Posters In This Topic

Loopy Hamilton started karting at the age of 8, the earlier the better I would have thought! :t-up:

There's 3 basic sizes based on age:

Cadets

Juniors

Seniors

Been out of it for too long to say much more than that!

Your 12 yr old needs a minimax. But yer 10 yr old can't till he's 11 (legally), so he would fall into a cadet I'm afraid. your 5 year old goes in a micro cadet.

Hamilton had done more track time than any of us put together, by the time he was 8  :laugh:

There's 3 basic sizes based on age:

Cadets

Juniors

Seniors

b******d if im buying 4 karts  :bangshead:

is there much difference in junior/senior? my oldest lad is tall for his age so thinkng of getting something we could both use  :p  :xmas:

Your 12 yr old needs a minimax. But yer 10 yr old can't till he's 11 (legally), so he would fall into a cadet I'm afraid. your 5 year old goes in a micro cadet.

Hamilton had done more track time than any of us put together, by the time he was 8  :laugh:

See I thought he started when he was something like 4 years old but his website says 8. ???

It mostly depends on when and where you will use the karts , a lot of circuits will insist Rac licneses to drive your own kart on their track , the different classes are here some you can change from junior to senior with restrictors but probably not practical sharing at msa events.

Taking the kids racing is really going to hit your wallet , if you have got a track that anyone and anything can use then just see what karts are available but 4strokes will last longest.

It mostly depends on when and where you will use the karts , a lot of circuits will insist Rac licneses to drive your own kart on their track , the different classes are here some you can change from junior to senior with restrictors but probably not practical sharing at msa events.

Taking the kids racing is really going to hit your wallet , if you have got a track that anyone and anything can use then just see what karts are available but 4strokes will last longest.

the kart track we were at today was good value, basically you just turn up with your kart , kid and fuel and pay £20  :xmas: today tracktime they got a couple of hours  in the morning and 3 x 20min sessions in the afternoon  :t-up:

not sure on the racing, unless one of them has a talent which having me as a tutor they will be understeer kings time they are 18  :laugh:  :down:  :D

You would probably be best off with a tkm , a simple bolt on restrictor changes the spec from  junoir to senior , you may need a few more spares like carbs , but the 4 stroke is anew class to me . teh youngest would be stuck though

advice and recomendations  welcomed :t-up:  :t-up:

Have you tried asking on a karting forum? :p

There's no need the advice he has been giving here is good and correct :t-up:

Just for clarification.

MSA racing

Micro cadets (under 8) non msa

Cadets start at 8 and can go to 13.

Minimax can start in the childs 11th year if he possess a kart race licence with enough signatures, otherwise Minimax starts at 11.

Junior max starts at 13 (I think)

Seniors start at 16 (I think)

Open practice at MSA race circuits

Dependent on club rules, many don't need to see MSA kart licence, so if you lad is big for his age, he may get away with going in a senior chassis.

TKM or Rotax are the engine choices that spring to mind, but both are installed on a Senior chassis. TKM is significantly cheaper karting ;)

Cadet - Comer W60 or WTP60 or Honda 4 stroke are the choices, don't buy S60 Comer (class no longer recognized by MSA).

HTH

when i raced - a few years back or so - lol - the biggest expenses were in tyres - set might last one weekend - or bout 2 races

next you might blow engines quite easily - you needed a rotax engine to be near the front owt else was pants... second hand they were running about a grand a pop.. usually burningholes in pistons or breaking side valves

i reckon you should get a one the oldest can enjoy - then as the youngest get older they can join in too - that way your good lady would bite off her nails too much :O/

dont be so namby pamby and go gearbox.Not sure on the ages but when i was racing the seat was easily adjustable for a wide range of heigts including mine :p