• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

MT75 or Type 9

Rory's Dad

But as it stops you rushing the gears it wears out the synchros and becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Add in the fact that lots of folk seem to fill them with the wrong oil, and there can be all sorts of issues waiting to bite the unwary in the :arse::oops:

what oil should a type 9 have then ???  ???  , I just asked for gearbox oil  :oops:  maybe this is why mine is leaking  out the front seal :oops:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• stu999

• JeffC

• Rory's Dad

In standard form the MT75 is better than the Type 9

(a) Its lighter

(b) its stronger

© the gear change is sweeter

type 9 is better "only" if you get a close ratio box e.g.  BGH, but this will set you back£1200 or more .

If you are fitting a standard box the MT75 wins hands down over the standard type9

I have just replaced mine for a BGH T9 , the ratios do make a difference , but I do miss the MT75 gearshift which was absolutely superb .

:t-up:

But as it stops you rushing the gears it wears out the synchros and becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Add in the fact that lots of folk seem to fill them with the wrong oil, and there can be all sorts of issues waiting to bite the unwary in the :arse::oops:

what oil should a type 9 have then ???  ???  , I just asked for gearbox oil  :oops:  maybe this is why mine is leaking  out the front seal :oops:

Any GL4 spec oil, either EP80, EP90, or synthetic EP75-90. BUT the inportant thing is it MUST be GL4 spec. GL5 will eventually wreck the synchros, especially if you're racing.

If it were my money (and it is far too often) I'd talk to Graeme at Fluke and get some Red Line oil in there. He'll advise as to which one ;)

Red Line is all I use these days...

I can see that if you are sprinting or hill-climbing, the 'right' first gear is going to make a big difference.  However a standing start doesn't come into the best bits of my commute , blats or future trackdays so am only really interested in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  Pistonbroke's comments keep the MT75 in the frame for me.

(hides awaiting broadside from Blatman - but he might have gone to bed :D  :D  :D)

Rory's Dad

agree with the shift on the MT75 but a well built type9 with the correct oil is best.

also don't get the mt75's confused the mitchel cotts ones are rubbish

It's not just 1st though on a well sorted type 9 though; the difference having well sorted second and third gears made when I swapped my standard t9 was astonishing. It's soooo much better on the twisties, and don't write off first either. Get on the real twisty stuff, and I'm sure you can find a tight hairpin or two.

How can I tell??  Do the Mitchell Cotts have Mitchell Cotts written on them??  :durr:

Rory's Dad

How can I tell??  Do the Mitchell Cotts have Mitchell Cotts written on them??  :durr:

Rory's Dad

thats what mine was  :oops:

they have a seperate bell housing  ;)

How can I tell??  Do the Mitchell Cotts have Mitchell Cotts written on them??  <!--emo&:durr:

Rory's Dad

thats what mine was  :oops:

they have a seperate bell housing  ;)

You'll probably only find the MCT 75 on Duratec cars as they had a different bellhousing patern than previous Ford engines.

I can see that if you are sprinting or hill-climbing, the 'right' first gear is going to make a big difference.  However a standing start doesn't come into the best bits of my commute , blats or future trackdays so am only really interested in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  Pistonbroke's comments keep the MT75 in the frame for me.

(hides awaiting broadside from Blatman - but he might have gone to bed :D  :D  :D)

Rory's Dad

Each to his own, but as soon as I can, the next mod I make to my green (road only) car is to fit a longer first gear. It really does make a massive difference even on a road car, trust me...

What's wrong with the Mitchell Cotts gearbox? I'm happy with mine. With 205x50/15 tyres and a 3.7;1 diff., it gives road speeds in the intermediate gears as near as I can judge, at a 7,200 rpm limit of 60, 90 & 120 mph. Admittedly, I cant pull 7,200 rpm, but that's because of the very sharp cut-off setting of the ecu. Something which will be sorted out when the car is out of manufacturer's warranty, however that is another story, as they say!

Whats the ratios for a std T5 ? First gear seem ok to me, but then again i never driven one with long first in type 9. :0

What's wrong with the Mitchell Cotts gearbox? I'm happy with mine. With 205x50/15 tyres and a 3.7;1 diff., it gives road speeds in the intermediate gears as near as I can judge, at a 7,200 rpm limit of 60, 90 & 120 mph.

The difference - mine does 60 in first if I take it to the rev limiter ;)  :D

Ah yes, but the way you drive Stu, I'm amazed you bother with first gear at all!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

What gearbox do you use, Stu? :suspect:  :suspect:

Ah yes, but the way you drive Stu, I'm amazed you bother with first gear at all!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

What gearbox do you use, Stu? :suspect:  :suspect:

Type 9 with a Quaife clubman straight cut gearkit fitted. 3.62 diff, and 2.39 first gear :)

Works exceedingly well, although I do have a 3.92 diff to fit when I can be  :arse: 'd, as it is a bit long-legged for anything except 'normal' road use :t-up:

And interestingly you are quite close to the truth there Stephen. When I had the Type 9 fitted with the original ratio's fitted, I didn't actually bother with first for 'quick' launches :laugh: