• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

MT75 or Type 9

Rory's Dad

Our new 1600i is written off and it came with an Type 9 gearbox - which was just fine.  :)

Now looking at possible replacements so is a Type 9 a better gearbox than a MT75.  Search revealed nothing conclusive.  I know an uprated Type 9 with a longer first is probably best of all but I'm probably not in that market.

Any advice appreciated  :)  :)  :)

Rory's Dad

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• stu999

• JeffC

• Rory's Dad

Our new 1600i is written off and it came with an Type 9 gearbox - which was just fine.  :)

Now looking at possible replacements so is a Type 9 a better gearbox than a MT75.  Search revealed nothing conclusive.  I know an uprated Type 9 with a longer first is probably best of all but I'm probably not in that market.

Any advice appreciated  :)  :)  :)

Rory's Dad

type 9 will leave you with a wider range and more affordable upgrade route ...... thats the most likely reason to go with type 9 .

Personally i also like the space in the tunnel a type 9 chassis gives.

I know an uprated Type 9 with a longer first is probably best of all but I'm probably not in that market.

Every Westfield owner is in that market 'cos first gear is useless.

It's one of the best upgrades you can make. Do it...

Supply issues I suspect. Just because Westfield do "thing A" doesn't automatically mean it's right or proper. Often parts choice is "guided" by availability or price...

Supply issues I suspect. Just because Westfield do "thing A" doesn't automatically mean it's right or proper. Often parts choice is "guided" by availability or price...

thinks caterham and "that engine "

just swapped mt75 for type 9 and would say both are s**t in terms of ratios , type 9 has a better shift , but think mt75 was lighter.

two mt75s Ive driven both had crunchy gears when shifted quickly  :suspect:  ???

and to change ratio's in a type 9 offers more choice and more cost effective  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D

I've got a BGH type 9, aint drove it yet, but the ratios are suposed to be just right for my engine and road use, if the sales spiel is correct.

just swapped mt75 for type 9 and would say both are s**t in terms of ratios , type 9 has a better shift , but think mt75 was lighter.

two mt75s Ive driven both had crunchy gears when shifted quickly  :suspect:  ???

They are. Standard ratios in both boxes are woeful for a Westfield. Trouble is, the one or two sets of ratios availablel for an MT75 were nearly 2K last time I looked. Yes, 2 grand :0

2K will buy you *three* gearsets to try in your Type 9, and I'll say it again... On an otherwise standard car, "fixing" the gearbox ratios is probably the best mod you can make.

As for the crunching, that'll be you rushing the synchros. They'll all do that unless you fit a dog box, which is what bikes have ;)

As for the crunching, that'll be you rushing the synchros. They'll all do that unless you fit a dog box, which is what bikes have ;)

my type 9 doesnt  ;)

A good synchro box won't let you rush the gears. If the box crunches, the synchros are worn!

But as it stops you rushing the gears it wears out the synchros and becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Add in the fact that lots of folk seem to fill them with the wrong oil, and there can be all sorts of issues waiting to bite the unwary in the :arse::oops: