• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

BEC v CEC

The Seer

Personally i hate the sound of CEC's because they sound just like a motorbike and not a high revving sports car as some people think.

I thought it would be the BEC's that sound like motorbikes? :p  :devil:  :D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conibear

• JeffC

• ChrisG

• Bazzer

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i hate the sound of CEC's because they sound just like a motorbike and not a high revving sports car as some people think.

I thought it would be the BEC's that sound like motorbikes? :p  :devil:  :D

Just testing Stu !! :blush:

Silly me - been a hard day at Oulton today  :D

I think I'll bow out of this one now, everyone else seems to be pretty much in agreement that a ~200-210bhp CEC hs broadly similar performance to a busa BEC except one person, but the way this thread is heading it would appear the only way to appease this person is if we all accept that everyone else wrong even though that person's argument is based solely on circumstantial evidence and a rather dubious grasp of basic physics. :D

Chris, please read page one of this read :bangshead: I think the figures actually are very clear.

Nickpro, never argued those figures in fact I thanked you for them, still got my opinions though :D have you finished that book yet?

Bazzer, your Busa has a little bit of CF if I remember, have you taken that all off now then ???  ;)

I am surprised though that no VX owners have defended themselves, it was a common place here a year or so ago :D

Anyway, Biker boys I need to do a trackday somewhere fairly local and your all more than welcome to come and see/challenge my 200bhp SEIW, we could raise money for a good cause :D

I am surprised though that no VX owners have defended themselves, it was a common place here a year or so ago :D

No need to now you know what the actual differences in weights are - i.e. not much ;)

No need to now you know what the actual differences in weights are - i.e. not much ;)

;)     :devil:     :t-up:

If it's about circuits :

RGB megablade donington lap (John Cutmore) = 1.20.08

Fastest WSCRDA donington lap = 1.20.503

So a blade is equal to a 170bhp Zetec

Can't find a CEC series limited to 200bhp or any megabusas in the RGB, but an R400 Caterham (slightly better pwr than most 200bhp VXs) seems to lap donington in the same 1.18 as a busa engined Fury...

Sam, how can an R400 have more power than a 200bhp VX ???  The VX would have more torque would it not ???

A Fury as you know ;)  I am sure ;)  has a lot more aero dynamics than a westfield so will be quicker, but you already know that as well I am sure you have seen a RGB 750MC event. So it doesn't make good reading for the Busa does it :p

Sorry  :blush: by pwr I meant power to weight ratio, rather than power. I'd venture to suggest most VX cars are heavier than 500kg so don't make 400bhp/tonne.

And you're right about Furies, they do indeed rule.  ;)

Yep Sam, the Fury is much more suited to a bike engine :t-up: In fact to most closed wheeled track vehicles with some form of aero dynamics.

Not a Seven though :bangshead:

Just my opinion though :p  :D

Bazzer, your Busa has a little bit of CF if I remember, have you taken that all off now then ???  ;)

Nope its got slightly more CF a cage and a turbo,  it made 285BHP on Emeralds rolling road last week. So probably not a good example for the standard Busa vs Vx experiment.

It has 170lbft of torque at the crank. A Vx engine that reved to 7krpm geared for the same top speed would need 255lb/ft to match that  ;)

Its quite fast for a BEC  :p

Bazzer

A few years ago I ran at the POD with a std Busa in my 200bhp (ish Zetec). Both were running aero.

I forget the exact times but I was slightly quicker off the line (easier to launch), still ahead and beginging to celebrate at 1/8 mile but the Busa slowly got me and was 3-4 lengths ahead by the 1/4 mile.

Much to my frustration this was repeated a good number of times.

It made 285BHP on Emeralds rolling road last week. It has 170lbft of torque at the crank. Its quite fast for a BEC  :p

I'm sure somehow Ian's car will be faster.

He races it, dont you know. None of this trackday or sprint namby pamby stuff.

:devil:

Chris, please read page one of this read :bangshead: I think the figures actually are very clear.

Its page one I'm looking at so could you point to these magical figures you're referring to please? The figures I can see that you posted only indicate a clear advantage to the CEC because they are completely and utterly wrong! :D

I dropped the hint by mentioning torque at the wheels which along with weight IS the defining factor in how quickly a car accelerates (at least until drag comes into play), but you didn't seem to twig that concept or realise that there's NO direct relationship between crank torque figures and acceleration! If you looked at say 0-100mph times and compared them against engine torque to weight ratio of each of the cars, there would be no trend or pattern whatsoever. Despite all this you still seem to be pointing towards your original musings on engine torque as the basis of why a CEC has a clear advantage over a BEC, which suggests that you don't actually understand what you're arguing ;)