• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conibear

• JeffC

• ChrisG

• Bazzer

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: can of worms.  :devil:

from my experience on track a standard busa is similar performance to something around  250bhp in a  cec  

a good blade will hang with a 200bhp cec.

both cars will handle really well , Its been said the bec will be quicker in and out the corners but from my experience not always the case   :suspect:

Ohhh god, this ones been done many times.....In fact, I the can of worms that gets opened so many times may now be empty!....

Anyway....

There is more to being quicker than just looking at engines....Suspension set up, tyres, weight, gearing, DRIVER SKILL, all play just as much part in being quicker.....

It really does depend on what your plans are for the car...If you plan to be a track day demon, then the lightweight megabusa will most likely get you around quicker than a 200bhp CEC....However, the CEC may be a little bit more user friendly on the roads..........

Either way...your budget will get you a very serious machine.......Also, don't discount the zetec, Megabird, blade - ALL ARE QUICK

Try and look at power to weight ratios, then factor in other components like ARB's LSD's, Tyres, set up etc....That will help you figure out what is quickest.....

Good luck.

Paul.

I had the same questions in mind when looking a year ago...... and went for a CEC (XE just shy of 200bhp).

My own final decison was simply based on the fact that I'm familiar with car engines and boxes and not so with bike mechanics.

On track so far (and this is just my experience and not scientific) I can usually out drag most seven type cars with smaller bike engines of sub 1000cc. Corner speeds are pretty similar too. I'd fully expect a Busa with a bit extra power to be able to turn the tables though.

Here's a suggestion for a comparison .. and others can agree or disagree to suit....

;)

I'd say, that with similaly specced cars, ie weights within 50kg of each other, same brakes and drivers of similar ability etc,

a BEC with 120bhp would be the match of a CEC with around 170bhp.

Similarly a BEC with 150 would be a match  for a 200bhp CEC.

A Busa with maybe 180bhp would probably be equivalent to a CEC pulling 230.

So in essence (and please....... it's only an opinion) a BEC is probably worth 50bhp over an similarly specced CEC.

:D

from my experience on track a standard busa is similar performance to something around  250bhp in a  cec  

both cars will handle really well , Its been said the bec will be quicker in and out the corners but from my experience not always the case   :suspect:

Wow, I have never ever seen a N/A 1.3L Busa powered 7 out drag a 220bhp CEC 7. In fact when I had about 220bhp in my SEIW, no standard Megabusa could keep up with me from accelerating or dragging. IME, I would state that a standard 1.3L Busa powered 7 is equivalent to a 210bhp CEC 7, based on the same spec, I.E. tyres and as light as each application can go. But, TBH the power to weight ratio surely holds the answer to this question. Also, the lighter the car should be capable of cornering quicker, once again presuming they both are set up the same

HTH

Wow, I have never ever seen a N/A 1.3L Busa powered 7 out drag a 220bhp CEC 7. In fact when I had about 220bhp in my SEIW, no standard Megabusa could keep up with me from accelerating or dragging. IME, I would state that a standard 1.3L Busa powered 7 is equivalent to a 210bhp CEC 7, based on the same spec, I.E. tyres and as light as each application can go. But, TBH the power to weight ratio surely holds the answer to this question. Also, the lighter the car should be capable of cornering quicker, once again presuming they both are set up the same

HTH

This ties in with my experience. Mate had a VX powered car with SBD goodies giving around 210BHP. This was pretty much the same as my standard busa down the straights. This was a car built pretty much the same as mine with an Aeroscreen etc. If you had a windscreen then JeffC might be nearer the mark with 250BHP !!!!

Mine hooked up slightly better out of corners and was better on the brakes. So over a lap a bit quicker.

Bazzer

I didn't think anyone had ever asked that question before... :devil::oops:

Indeed     ;)    

Isn't this one covered in the FAQ    ???

Yeah...... but if we all just searched we'd never talk to each other.......  :p  :D  ;)

my standard busa was pretty evenly matched with nessys vx in a straight line, would add that a car of 250bhp after 90 mph will pull away from a 1300 busa, also noticable if you hit a hill or stick a passenger in a busa they slow down  :down:

Jeff, what did your old 1.3L megabusa weigh and how much bhp? And what are these figures on your new car?

One thing to consider which Jeff is touching on is torque or lack of in a Busa engine, it will suffer on acceleration and also @ high speeds, so this would have a bearing when trying to compare apples with bananas.

IMO, bike engines only really benefit aero dynamic vehicles such as Radicals and the like

a Busa engine, it will suffer on acceleration

would disagree that is one place a busa doesnt suffer  off the line and through the pegs they are lightning  :suspect:  :suspect:

a Busa engine, it will suffer on acceleration

would disagree that is one place a busa doesnt suffer  off the line and through the pegs they are lightning  :suspect:  :suspect:

Jeff, I raced at the weekend and in this race was two CSR 260's. One was roadgoing but on big slicks, the other is a Cosworth Masters cup race car. By the end of the 15 lap race I am not sure if I did lap the roadgoing version, but it was close, but the the Cosworth masters version was probably 10 seconds ahead of me. Although the engine and transmission are the same, the difference between them is significant.

I have raced against 1100 kwakers, 1.3 and 1.5 version busa powered Radicals for two years now and none of them can accelerate as quick as a 200bhp 7, sorry mate not from a standing start, once their moving their better though and generally are quicker, but not in a 7.

Your new car has 500bhp per tonne compared to 344 previously, so you should notice that difference :t-up:

Jeff, I raced at the weekend and in this race was two CSR 260's. One was roadgoing but on big slicks, the other is a Cosworth Masters cup race car. By the end of the 15 lap race I am not sure if I did lap the roadgoing version, but it was close, but the the Cosworth masters version was probably 10 seconds ahead of me. Although the engine and transmission are the same, the difference between them is significant.

I have raced against 1100 kwakers, 1.3 and 1.5 version busa powered Radicals for two years now and none of them can accelerate as quick as a 200bhp 7, sorry mate not from a standing start, once their moving their better though and generally are quicker, but not in a 7.

Your new car has 500bhp per tonne compared to 344 previously, so you should notice that difference :t-up:

That may be down to driver mind, we have passed 250bhp 7's and radical SR3's in our 140bhp pinto, does that make it a faster car? :D

I wish it did :down:

Edit:

Also, from what I've noticed, the BEC's are fantastic for acceleration under a 100mph. After watching Jeff & Tommo @ Croft last year, for instant punch, the busa seemed to have it out the chicane and hairpin, but once upto speed the CEC had clawed it back on the straight.

strange that, from 3 years tracking my car I can pretty much out accelerate everything I come up against  ???  its more when on the move I have a problem 80mph onwards  :suspect:

acceleration in a standard busa to me scores as it will put the power down with the lack of initial torque getting the car moving rather  than standing still scratting  iyswim  ???  :suspect:

got a video of my old car doing a 0-100-0 mph on standard road tyres, minimul wheel spin and its away video here

there is a local cateringvan csr  that runs 300bhp durabang  that car laps Croft 5 secs a lap quicker than my car , it is awesome the pace down the straights is noticabley different   :t-up: