Zetec or VX

i think i will be sticking to the 200hp limit for now  

What do you think this will be like? In fact what do you think 130bhp will be like?

If I were you, I would look for a "good engine" of either, then worry if it's VX/Zetec. Look arround and pleanty of already tuned engines are for sale, this will be by far the most cost effective and sensible approach to achieving this goal.

Do not believe the hype, getting Bhp out of any engine (unless you do all the work yourself and know what you are doing) will be expensive. Just buying cams and hoping for 30bhp more is the realm of Max power and dreams. You will need new jets/Ecu/RR at least, let alone internal modifications to the engine.

If you wanta faster car, build lightness into it now.....it will be faster and cheaper and quite possibly more reliable.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stu999

• the_fbi

• stewart pickles

• Jenko

Of course you are right, the last XE was produced, turbo excepted, in '93, so given even average mileage, any engine will have covered about 150K miles. :down:  :down:  :down:

Not quite true.

Engine #14195117 - Last ever C20XE engine built in Jan '98

I believe there were later short engines built too.

If the choices are Zetec or VX, I think you'll end up going BEC  :devil:

You cant help sickness  :p  :devil:

Not quite true.

Engine #14195117 - Last ever C20XE engine built in Jan '98

Whats the story behind that then, out of interest??

Back in 93 I was buying and selling VX's for a bit of pocket money, and as far as I recall the astra ,cavvy and calibra all went over to the ecocrap engine in late 93, game/fun over from my point of view. I do recall the turbo cars being supplied with the XE for a few years more though. Would any later engines just have been available only as exchange/warranty engines?? if so very unlikely to find one, or know if youv'e found one

Cheers,

XE also fitted to some later Daewoo cars ?

Not in a Daewoo, they didn't use them.

I don't know the reason they were making them so late, but I do know that was the last one to roll off the Kaiserslautern engine plant in Germany.

It may well be they were also used new engines, my car had a new LET in 1998 so no reason they couldn't use the parts to build new XE's too.

It may well be they were also used new engines, my car had a new LET in 1998 so no reason they couldn't use the parts to build new XE's too.

Hmmmm, thats kinda what I thought. They did use the XE for the LET, ie the turbo, but even if they did have the parts I'm pretty sure no standard VX cars appeared with that engine after 1993, exchange engines only for a few years I think.

What a ****** the ecotec was after the XE. (2ltr that is)

I have got a 2.0 ltr Ecotec in my car now but am changing over to an XE during the winter. It produces 170 bhp with a really flat torque curve without any mods other than cod rod bolts.  It is not a rubbish engine it is fairly comparable to the Zetec, infact it is practically identical in acceleration terms to my mates Dunnell powered 2.0 Zetec car.

BUT the XE will be better, more scope for perpetual tinkering in the garage extracting just a little bit more! 190-200 horses this year and 240-250 next year :-)

If the choices are Zetec or VX, I think you'll end up going BEC  :devil:

You cant help sickness  :p  :devil:

well matt my blade engine car was quicker round croft than my xe butt id rather push an xe round croft than drive a zetec round  :p  :p  :D

gets coat and legs it

well matt my blade engine car was quicker round croft

Stewart

If I remember your times correctly I suspect there was another reason or reasons for the time difference ?

It is not a rubbish engine it is fairly comparable to the Zetec, infact it is practically identical in acceleration terms to my mates Dunnell powered 2.0 Zetec car.

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Thats kind of the point I was making :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

On a serious note I still feel that the old 2ltr 8v VX engine was a better bet than the 2ltr ecotec in a westy or such like.

B.

(stokes the fire)

XE also fitted to some later Daewoo cars ?

Not in a Daewoo, they didn't use them.

Ahh, but they did.

Not necessarily 'in production', but certainly under the bonnets of their touring cars... ;)

ash

the only bad time i had was no time at all for my last timed run (blade power :p )

emma had some bad time's which would of ment david would of passed her on track.

malvern timing the only bad part of croft  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

ash

the only bad time i had was no time at all for my last timed run (blade power :p )

emma had some bad time's which would of ment david would of passed her on track.

malvern timing the only bad part of croft  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Stew

How easy you forget the year before when I had my meager 1600 pinto and thrashed your 1b shod screenless car round Croft  :p  :D  :p

So on that basis buy a Pinto

Anyway Stew who are you to give a decision on which engine to fit  :p  :devil:  :p

But being serious buy a Zetec SE its a car engine designed by a bike company (Yamaha) best of both worlds :cool: