Zetec or VX

Hi Guys , i was speaking to the westfield factory earlier today regarding a visit and potential purchase of a multi-donor kit but i cant make up my mind on power , colour and wheels is no prob but cant make a choice between zetec or VX , lady at factory said Duratec but theyre probably a bit on the expensive side .

could some one point me right direction

pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase .

its my first time on here so be gentle  :blush:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stu999

• the_fbi

• stewart pickles

• Jenko

Welcome

It would be worth attending your local area meeting and talking to owners of both engined cars

You will no doubt be able to enjoy a passenger ride and see which one suits you best

You'll also be able to ask loads of questions    :D

There's also alot on this subject in the archives   ;)

Have a Zetec at the moment, but the next one will be a VX

HTH

Welcome NigelM :t-up:

You have probably opened one of the biggest can of worms there is to open by asking that one!

However, I think it is as simple as this: Do you ever see yourself competing, or at least, wanting the last 'inth' out of the car? If so, the VX is probably the way to go. Otherwise, a Zetec is a fine, reliable, performer :t-up:

There is really very little in it to be honest. Both engines, even in standard form, will push he car along fast enough to embarass even supercars on track. Both are upgradable. Both can get you into a lot of trouble :p

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Stu (VX owner) :t-up:

a Zetec is a fine, reliable, performer :t-up:

There is really very little in it to be honest.

:0      Saved for Future use      ;)     :p     :D  

Evenin' Stu     :t-up:

a Zetec is a fine, reliable, performer :t-up:

There is really very little in it to be honest.

:0      Saved for Future use      ;)     :p     :D  

Evenin' Stu     :t-up:

Well there isn't.

On the public highway ;)  :p  

Evenin mate :t-up:

Stu's advice is spot on. If you want every last oz of performance then the Vx will make more power. You are more likely to find a Zetec that does not require a rebuild than a Vx though. Both can easily be tuned to over 200bhp. Go for the 2000cc Zetec though.

Matt (Zetec and Vx owner)

nigel

welcome .new member to essex :D

down south we like vx power

see you are in hornchurch [crashtest dummy]lives there.

give him a pm and have a chat :cool: also converted to vx power from xflow.

regards pete :t-up:

No right answer to this one...each engine has it's own merits...........

Zetec will probably be easier to get hold of, and parts are readily available.....generally cheaper to run.

VX, easier to get more power from, but I understand a tiny bit heavier......

Either engine would be great.......but I would think hard about how much bhp you would ultimatly want, if it is 200+ the VX may make more sense......but a well tuned zetec  (2ltr of course)....will see you from 160 bhp with a couple of twin weber 40's and a standard engine to 200bhp bhp with throttle boddies, cams, etc

What ever you choose here will be great fun in a Westie...so it's a win win situation (god I sound american!)

Good luck...

Thanks for all your replys , i will certainly contact some of the more local members for a chat and hopefully join a meet in the new year .

i think i will be sticking to the 200hp limit for now  ???

well ..........at least till i get used to it  :p

as i work for the blue oval brigade the  zetec might be the sensable choice but i dont think staff discount applies to twin 45's  or lairy cams !!!

A 2nd hand VX is most likely to need a re-build.

You should have no problems finding a Zetec with low enough milage to drop striaght in without rebuild costs.

A standard 2nd hand Duratec will hold a premium over a Zetec but a standard one will give 190bhp without the need for the costs of cams so could work out cheeper than the Zetec for £££ per bhp and also has healthy torque figures.

Glen

(had a Zetec, and then seen the light)

More likely to be able to find an XE in a car still so driveable and able to determine the rebuild required'ness.

Given that the XE internals can and do regularly handle 280bhp+ I'd say it'll better handle future upgrades than the Zetec. ARP Rod bolts will see the XE handle higher RPM's without issue, nowt else to do.

Don't worry if the lifters are a bit "tappy" on the XE, quick clean (cams out job) will see them quiet again.

XE all the way for me.

I just bought a 54k mile XE so there are still some out there if you look.

An additional cost with the XE is that you will need a bespoke bell housing to bolt on a type 9 gearbox. Have a look on the www.sbdev.co.uk website for lots of vx bits and bobs.

Long term I think the vx makes sense as you will get used to the acceleration and want more power.

What ever you get will be great, it is a nice descision to have to make!