• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Volvo 5cyl Turbo Westfield

RS WST

Uprated internals would be a must, rods pistons etc.

Are the standard cranks steel?

Was also considering do a nasp 2.5 motor on throttlebodies

Apparently the straight 6 volvo has a 2 part manifold that is joined together with rubber tube

You could use the bottom manifold section from this to attached throttlebodies too and cut off the extra primary as the flanges are the same for the 5 and 6 cylinders.

I reckon this could easy see 300bhp

Might end up going the Audi route though for the stronger block and off the shelf parts.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RS WST

• volvorsport

• JeffC

• Buzz Billsberry

well , the market is definitely better now , you can have rods and pistons tomorrow if need be , and no there isnt any better choices !!!! :p

Could anyone list the types of 5 cylinder engine available and limitations of them? also what power outputs are achievable?

Andy your nuts :)

Also what about engine managment, how hard would it be to keep the std ecu or is the loom to big with a built in alarm/imobaliser

if not what managment coulv run it. i take it none of the pistons are paired up!

Stu

ok bore and stroke time .

2        81x77mm

2.3     81x90mm

2.5     83x90mm

and much the same for the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder

theres three types of rod/piston combo for whiteblocks also .

also

the 2 litre engines came with a 10 valve head in some models .

the CR is 10:1 and above for the NA engines

8.4:1 for 2 litre turbo 8.5:1 for 2.3 turbo 9.0:1 for 2.5 turbo.

and , the std ecu can be used  - but the later cars from 99 onwards have to be reprogrammed with a code anytime you change something - so the ideal years are upto 98 R or s/v70 models to get most of the improvements without too much hassle - other than that its a bosch setup so they will work with most aftermarket sysytems, but not the lower market models like the omex etc .

the 77mm crank should rev to 9500 with a piston speed of 23 m/s with the right bits

The 90mm stroke crank would rev to about 7700 at 23 m/s

Well Megasquirt is 'low market' and it can run I5 with no problems. As can Emerald (Karl the designer has a quatto.

I've also being toying with the idea of using the VW transporter engine

2.5L 5 Cylinder Turbo Deisel Engine

Standard trim they are 170bhp

I reckon with some headwork and a new turbo you could easy get 300bhp

A friend of mine has recently managed to get 256bhp and 380 ft/lb out the 1.9 tdi so with an extra 600cc and another cylinder, 300 should be acheivable with a huge wall of torque

Its the future at 50 mpg too

well , im pretty sure that engine was the engine they put in the early diesel 850s until they moved to the D5 engine .

which with a chip is about 450 NM

• 2 weeks later...
Well Megasquirt is 'low market' and it can run I5 with no problems. As can Emerald (Karl the designer has a quatto.

Interesting,

I now have a Volvo T5 car and an Emerald Ecu. Although im gonna try my luck with the std Ecu to start. Just need a rew adaptor plate and box.

oh and its gonna be going in this  :D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/FlansS14/07052007100.jpg

Interesting,

I now have a Volvo T5 car and an Emerald Ecu. Although im gonna try my luck with the std Ecu to start. Just need a rew adaptor plate and box.

oh and its gonna be going in this  :D

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/FlansS14/07052007100.jpg

Isn't it going to be tricky to mate up to the john deere gearbox tho  ;)

de4ccb3b4c120420f7b282ed6cb813e5.jpg

I had a very interesting chat with the owner of this car at Stoneleigh it is actually the focus 2.5st engine it now has a home made plenum and is running a dutch made ecu which he said was very easy to use and set up.

It certainly did look a lovely bit of kit.

Upgradeitus is going to set in sooner or later, I just know it. And my dad has got a V70. Hmmm.

Kevin

Well this has to be one of the maddest topics going at the moment...........

Fitting a VOLVO deisel into a westfield.... :D

I used to have a 850tdi and that had the old Audi 2.5 lump in it, not sure about flow rates etc but i belive the new D5 volvo engine is a lot better... :suspect: