• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Volvo 5cyl Turbo Westfield

RS WST

another chance for me to say what are you all waiting for - with engine prices coming down to around £200 , since the cars can be had for around £6-800 .

gearbox adapters from sweden around £130 . a chip upgrade for £280 and thats around 275 bhp to play with and plenty of torque also .

when i was working at robin hood until september , i tried to get this into the line up since the D5 is a much better engine than the ford one , hey ho , its there loss.

of course if you picked a 940 turbo ,, for about ohh £150 - you get the whole donor car and a capable 250 bhp with a chip for around £130 .

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RS WST

• volvorsport

• JeffC

• Buzz Billsberry

That sounds like bargin performance for peanuts. The only trouble for some numpties in this club is the name, sad really cos' they are great motors with solid reliabilty. If I was looking to do another westy that would be up at the top with the s2000

Buzz

not sure I could get me self excited over the 940 but have to say the T5 r  would be interesting , 5 cylinders sound  :love:  :love:  any idea what gearbox would be used ?

Where talking about the engines in westfields not the cars Volvo cars are s**t boring style wise

Buzz

getrag , in a light car the 328 e30 box can be used to good effect and have good ratios , remote gear lever etc .

a 940 as a donor , is actually very good value , of course when i sit in mine , i look out the window and dont see the outside .

our local undertaker uses the 940 estates , so hope its a long time till Im in one  :0  :0  :0

What happened there then!!!!

Mr Cooper, I  recall you once owned a brown volvo 240 estate :D . As you said at the time "it is the best car i have ever owned"

You must have had a memory lapse eh

Westfield with a proper engine, sounds great  :p  :p  :p

What happened there then!!!!

Mr Cooper, I  recall you once owned a brown volvo 240 estate :D . As you said at the time "it is the best car i have ever owned"

You must have had a memory lapse eh

Westfield with a proper engine, sounds great  :p  :p  :p

Was probably the cheapest car he has ever owned, the best car hes ever had :D  :D  :D  :blush:

brown 6 cylinder gle auto (240 or 260 cant or dont want to remember )   :blush:  :blush:   , my first experience of heavy fuel consumption   :0  :0  :0  

sold it to Negus and he chucked a perkins diesel engine in it  :bangshead::laugh:

Hmm. Neat install but I'm not sure I can see the point, unless that engine happens to be *very* light.

Lots of unnecessary £ and head scratching to turn it round and make it work the proper wheels.

If you have a blown Volvo fetish I reckon an older 740 turbo six pot would be interesting - 320bhp with a different turbo and bags of torque.

You could probably get one for nothing if you found the right car and parted it...

Hmm. Neat install but I'm not sure I can see the point, unless that engine happens to be *very* light.

Lots of unnecessary £ and head scratching to turn it round and make it work the proper wheels.

dont know an exact weight but it wont be too heavy, full ally engine.

used to be able to pick them up quite cheap, i priced them a few years ago and you could pick up a full engine, manifolds and turbo for £500 max

no 740 came with a whiteblock , only 940 , and then it was never turbocharged , an s80 has the right engine .

and 320hp from a turboed whiteblock aint that much

the trick is to mix and match 2.5 and 3 litre straight sixes , since the T5 pistons fit , hence low compression , there is a difference in cylinder heads so the quench pads are need working on .

engine weight is the same as the old redblock turbo , full dressed , which is a stronger engine from the get go .

of course volvo won the btcc championship with a whiteblock engine so they cant be all that bad .

I saw this car at the Nürburgring in August (here), and the engine looks really good. Shame about the colour though although it looks better in real life than on the photos. As far as I remember it is driving a Sequential Elite gearbox.