Twin engined BEC

Blatman

I have a confession  :(   :blush:  :blush:   I have the very rug you mention in the back of me tintop  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Bought it in case swmbo fancied a lie down when we were out  :devil:  :devil:

has been in the boot for 4 years and is still unchristened  :(  :arse:  :down:    :blush:   :(  :down:  :(  :(  :(  :p

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dern

• timd

• Martin Keene

• Blatman

think as the tintop only has 6 cylinders its only a 3/4 size rug  ;)  :D  :D  :D

I would say as it has 8 cylinders although not in a V , it should qualify for the tartan rug          

calling Barry to confirm      

If you have 8 cylinders you don't just need a tartan rug, you need those special tartan rugs with a waterproof base

I have a confession          I have the very rug you mention in the back of me tintop      

Bought it in case swmbo fancied a lie down when we were out    

Well Jeffery I ave the same with the added bonus of an inflatable pillow see told you mine was best  :p  :p  :p  ;)

Well Jeffery I ave the same with the added bonus of an inflatable pillow see told you mine was best  :p  :p  :p  ;)

Lol, why would a tartan picnic rug have an inflatable pillow?

which class does this go in in the SS?

It ran in 'F' last year at Curborough (Jan was parked next to me).

Andy

IIRC, National Trust shops sell the aforementioned waterproof backed tartan rug. Nice quality bit of kit, but not cheap :0

I have a confession          I have the very rug you mention in the back of me tintop      

Bought it in case swmbo fancied a lie down when we were out    

Wiv a BE to blow it up :arse:  :oops:

Not sure about that. I mean, the throttle has more than 2 positions, and if you want to resist the urge to drive flat out everywhere, then just run on 1 engine.

Unless it has stupidly low ground clearance, then what other issues make it "track only" when compared to a more run of the mill BEC, cage notwithstanding...

GLOL - you've not seen/driven/been out in the car have you. :)

It does (or did) have stupidly low ground clearance, mainly thanks to ZCars insistence on putting rectangular section tubes in under the engines to replace the square ones that got cut out.

Driving on one engine isn't really an option - the extra weight over a single engine BEC means it barely makes forward progress at all. (its not just the extra weight of the second engine, its all the other stuff to keep it cool and stop it twisting in half)

As Martin points out the noise from inside it is like nothing on earth, I've never heard so much gear noise in one place - your ears hurt, even with earplugs, after a short trip.

As for driving it off throttle, it has so much driveline shunt that it is actually quite hard to cruise around in.

Does that about cover it? ;):p

I still miss it though, and on track it was fantastic. It probably still would be if its previous owner hadn't raped it of parts before selling it....  :devil:  :bangshead:

Driving on one engine isn't really an option

The ZXR twin engined option that David Jones used to drive could really shift on one engine  ;)  ;) without any problems  ;)

At Ty Croes sprint a few years back he had one engine go bang on the saturday and for sunday he merely washed out the blown engine to avoid leaving an oil trail disconnected it and on the sunday then ran on 1 good engine and was only a few hundredths off his twin engine time  :D  :D  ;)

You mean the narrow bodied car that wasn't road legal and didn't have any of the cooling requirements to last a 30min trackday session in 30deg plus heat?

Yeah, well done - good comparison. :bangshead:

:p;):D

Yep, that's the one the red stripped out pre-lit  :D  :D  ;)

I guess it all depends on your reference point. Compared to, say, a westy "powered" by a 1.6 engine out of a shopping car maybe running on on one engine would seem ok, perhaps fast even. But in comparison to running that car on both engines, running on only one felt somewhat inadequate.

:p:D

His not had that long, but then he is a dealer.

That is even my photo. ???

Tim’s right about the gearbox noise is it just too much.

instant headache

I found it very driveable in traffic I had the diff changed to a lower ration so it was fine on the road.

If you think about sprinting you need to be on slicks there is too much power.

Plus it is blooming loud with the carbon cans on its about 110 db

The car is 700KG mind this is due to the railway sleeper design chassis, I just never got it, why lower the chassis, why not raise the engine 1”.

It’s still the best one out there

I spent about £2000 on the car making it quicker, lighter and fitting dayglow pedles *respect

38_12.JPG

(Please note that I am not longer part of Fluke motorsport :D )

Sold it for £11,500 or was it £12K, anyhow it has now all been spent on a new build. (is that a good or bad idea?)

When I sold it I took the alloy uprights, widetrack, front and rear anti roll bars, headlights and avo shocks.

Which are now on my Carbon car :)

Sold it for £11,500 or was it £12K, anyhow it has now all been spent on a new build. (is that a good or bad idea?)

I heard a little rumour about that, and your going to need a lot more than that mate...

:D

And then some......

Trying to keep things to a minium so I can aford to keep the westy too.

But there is a long way to go, I've only just fitted the floor. :p

Anyone got a LS2/7 Chevy engine for sale :)

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.