Nylon bushes

adamnreeves

When I built my car in the late 90s I wasnt very internet literate and this website wasnt like it is today, I had to make all my own decisions and get over my own b*ll*cks, and I got there in the end and I think I made a reasonable job of it, sometimes I think all the extra input and different opinions that are available here would have blown my mind  :durr:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• Darren B

• Al Yupright

• Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

That's the other art of bulletin boards such as this. Being able to filter the wheat from the chaff... ;)

That's the other art of bulletin boards such as this. Being able to filter the wheat from the chaff... ;)

I do get frustrated sometimes with the search facility, sometimes it takes too long to search.................

I go and get a coffee and then come back to a timed out session!

and before you say blatman, I know my search facility on my site does not work at all (not implemented yet)!

Wouldn't know. Never looked at your site. I'm not one for build diaries. Besides, I'm guessing most of it is on here already :devil:

If it's timing out, that's odd 'cos it shouldn't, unless you're an AOL user in which case, the problem is with AOL and not the Boardroom. It's the way AOL deals with keeping the page open. It doesn't... :bangshead:

The search facility also requires a bit of imagination and lateral thinking sometimes in order to get the best results...

Well for those that are interested I took my suspension apart this afternoon.  6 Hours later...

Tapped out all the inserts by putting an M8 nut, bolt and washer through it and all came out OK.  Convieniently (sp?) found that my dremel had a sanding thingy (tech term) that was spot on the right size to take out some of the nylon from the bore of the bush.  By taking a bit out at a time I managed to get it so the sleeves were as loose as they were before I installed them.  Upon reassembling the suspension it now moves significantly more freely than before, so I'm glad I went to all the effort of putting it right.

There was no way I was going to be able to get the nylon bushes out without damaging them.  I tried one and was reluctant to hit it any harder.  At least the suspension should work like it's supposed to now.  Phew   :zzz:

it might be easier/better to put the metal inserts on a lathe and take 0.25mm off these instead.

but only if the nylons circular throughout, which i'd doubt if they've gone in the bones incorrectly. thats why i'd ream the nylons to suit, but what do i know

adamreeves took 15 secs on a clapped out athlon 600mhz ???

The searching speed is not determined by the machine you are using as much as ithe backend , i.e. the database query, indices available to it, search algorhythm, etc. If the seach involves many results then the bandwidth you have to the website also comes into. Incidentally I run 3.5ghz machine with a 64 bit processor and have 2meg bandwidth and using windows XP 64bit addition. But as blatman points out, it maybe my lack of imagination!

Well for those that are interested I took my suspension apart this afternoon.  6 Hours later...

Tapped out all the inserts by putting an M8 nut, bolt and washer through it and all came out OK.  Convieniently (sp?) found that my dremel had a sanding thingy (tech term) that was spot on the right size to take out some of the nylon from the bore of the bush.  By taking a bit out at a time I managed to get it so the sleeves were as loose as they were before I installed them.  Upon reassembling the suspension it now moves significantly more freely than before, so I'm glad I went to all the effort of putting it right.

There was no way I was going to be able to get the nylon bushes out without damaging them.  I tried one and was reluctant to hit it any harder.  At least the suspension should work like it's supposed to now.  Phew   :zzz:

Well I have been to the gym so not done all my wishbones. I took one off and managed to get the inserts out to prove to myself it could be done. I have yet to increase the bore diameter. This is how I did.

1. Get a block of 2 x 2 " wood and drilled a hole through it using an 18mm bit.

2. Clamped the wood in a vice.

3. Placed wishbone bush mount over the hole so the insert was in the middle of hole.

4. Got a M14! bolt which sits on the edge of the insert.

5. Whacked the M14 bolt hard about 3 times did it.

no damage and chuffed at that.

Now I just need to get my dremel out, I think I know the bit you are talking about.

Oh No!!  I hope you were extremely carefull as a Dremmel is far to severe for this and there is no way the hole through the bush will stay round!

I do really think the only option is to remove the bushes to get at the powder coating. The Dremmel as previously stated is good for removing the powder coating with a sanding drum as the sandpaper will not remove metal only the coating.

Once this is done and if the insert is still tight use the technique described by Mark B

The searching speed is not determined by the machine you are using as much as ithe backend , i.e. the database query, indices available to it, search algorhythm, etc. If the seach involves many results then the bandwidth you have to the website also comes into. Incidentally I run 3.5ghz machine with a 64 bit processor and have 2meg bandwidth and using windows XP 64bit addition.

An thats the kind of thingy that blows my mind  :oops:

Well I have been to the gym so not done all my wishbones. I took one off and managed to get the inserts out to prove to myself it could be done. I have yet to increase the bore diameter. This is how I did.

1. Get a block of 2 x 2 " wood and drilled a hole through it using an 18mm bit.

2. Clamped the wood in a vice.

3. Placed wishbone bush mount over the hole so the insert was in the middle of hole.

4. Got a M14! bolt which sits on the edge of the insert.

5. Whacked the M14 bolt hard about 3 times did it.

no damage and chuffed at that.

Now I just need to get my dremel out, I think I know the bit you are talking about.

Glad you got them out ok, just make sure you follow the instructions given to you on here this time..... :p  :D

Oh No!!  I hope you were extremely carefull as a Dremmel is far to severe for this and there is no way the hole through the bush will stay round!

I was VERY careful!  I removed a very small amount of nylon each time until I had a snug fit.  I then put the insert in and made sure there was no movement other than side to side and rotation i.e. they do not wobble in the bush at all.

Without throwing away all the bushes by damaging them in the course of getting them out I don't see how else I could have done it?

Having read through various threads and talking to people, this is what I have done , right or wrong  :-

1) Cleaned out all the powder coating from the inside of the bone, I did this with a Dremmel with a 10mm (approx sanding drum). Becareful that you dont take to much metal.

2) As you get near to having it clean, check the nylon bush for a fit.

3) You will find that where the welding is to the main tubing, this makes the housing for the bush oval and also there may be over welding which will stop the ears of the bush fitting against the metal face of the housing. See point 4 below

4) Once your happy with the inner, clean the powder coating from the outter mating face on the bone. This will ensure that the steel insert is protruding beyond the faces of the bush when offered up to the chassis mounts, a key point to make these bushes work correctly!.

5) When all cleaned and as much welding spots flatened, apply cooper slip or similar to the outter faces of the nylon bushes and insert into bone. This should be a tight fit, probably using a vice a some point. Make sure the two faces (bush and bone) are seating together.

6) Check that the steel insert will go into the bush, if not (and most probably not!!! ) check the difference with a vernier gauge and for oval in the bush. I use the same sanding cylinder as before with a very fine sandpaper to ensure I do not take to much off the bush. Keep checking with the steel insert, once the insert will go in with a little force, but not in a vice!! Remove the insert and coat with copperslip and re-insert. This does take a long time to get right!!!!!

7) When bone is ready to be fitted, check that the ears of the suspension mounts are clean and free from weld spots etc. You will have to open the faces slightly. Offer up the bones to the mounts, insert your copperslipped bolts and secure with nuts etc. Torque to 30-40 lbs/ft and check that the bones move 'freely' by hand. I havent got mine to be 100% stictionless, but they are free moving and no creeking etc!

Hope this helps, no doubt someone will say I have done something wrong, but this is the first time Ive done it, so any pointers would will be well received.

Stu