Nylon bushes

adamnreeves

If you remove the bush completely and remove powder coat, then you may not have to take any off the inner bore of the bush, just depends how well it fits in, verniers are the best way to check the clearances before you fit the bushes.

If you have access to a press, removing the inserts will be a doddle, I've done about half a dozen sets of wishbones at work (we have a hand operated and hydraulic press) and it's a piece of cake, I would press them out for you but as I remember you're a long way away from Cheshire....

Cheers,

Mark.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• Darren B

• Al Yupright

• Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

If you're going to do it this way...which seems less than ideal to me...

do not under any circumstances remove too much of the nylon bush. If the metal sleeve is too loose inside the bush then you car will be all over the shop!

But it was ideal for me and I do not understand why not for you, We are not talking about throwing a sausage down a high street here, just a shave. I do agree about it being too loose though. I know Adam has WFD bones but the GTS widetrack required some form of action in this department

The best way to do it is to take the powder-coat out of the wishbones.

If keen on going down the bush-reaming route, then I agree it'd probably be ok if done carefully, probably best avoiding power tools.

But it'd be very easy to end up with an oval shaped hole, especially if the bushes are not in quite square and you're using a drill.

And you'll have to do it again, or take the powder coat out when you get new bushes a couple of years down the line.

But if this is your technique, it might be easier/better to put the metal inserts on a lathe and take 0.25mm off these instead.

Reading Adam's recent post, where he says he fitted the bushes with a vice I think he'll struggle to get them out without damaging them.

So I'd recommend taking a lick of the metal inserts on a lathe... Wont take long!

The best way to do it is to take the powder-coat out of the wishbones.

If keen on going down the bush-reaming route, then I agree it'd probably be ok if done carefully, probably best avoiding power tools.

But it'd be very easy to end up with an oval shaped hole, especially if the bushes are not in quite square and you're using a drill.

And you'll have to do it again, or take the powder coat out when you get new bushes a couple of years down the line.

But if this is your technique, it might be easier/better to put the metal inserts on a lathe and take 0.25mm off these instead.

You can still end up with an oval shaped hole if you don't remove the powdercoat off in equal amounts, neither is foolproof but with common sense and taking your time the job can be done well enough....

You can still end up with an oval shaped hole if you don't remove the powdercoat off in equal amounts, neither is foolproof but with common sense and taking your time the job can be done well enough....

Thats why I used sandpaper and not emery paper, the sandpaper will remove the powder coating but the steel (of the wishbone) will remove the grit from the sandpaper IFYSWIM

I am about to embark upon resolving the same issue on my suspension this afternoon.  I shall be using the 'very-gently-sand-some-material-off-the-inside-of-the-bush' method as I have a sprint on sunday and don't believe I can get the bush out of the wishbone without damaging them.

The metal inserts weren't too difficult to put in originally so I don't think I will need to remove very much nylon at all to make it all work as it should.

If only I'd understood the principle when I fitted them  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

It may not be that the bore it too tight, it maybe that the powdercoat on the end faces is stopping the bushes from going in far enough and hence the chassis bracket is pinching the nylon bush rather than the metal sleeve...

I am in total despair at the number of nylon bush threads on here these days....

They don't come with any fitting instructions so maybe someone needs to stick all this good advice in the FAQ so that no one else makes the same mistakes.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything like the knowledge and understanding that I now have (before I fitted them) and it's frustrating to think that I may have to chuck a load of money down the drain in order to rectify it.  :bangshead:

It may not be that the bore it too tight, it maybe that the powdercoat on the end faces is stopping the bushes from going in far enough and hence the chassis bracket is pinching the nylon bush rather than the metal sleeve...

I am in total despair at the number of nylon bush threads on here these days....

Nope not the issue. It is obvious if the nylon bits are not in properly  as there would be a gap between the rim of the hat and the wishbone. The sleeve being stuck in the bush and not rotating at all and unable to be removed with a hammer and 14mm stud easily is indicative of the problem.

I wish I understood the principle of nylon bushes before I installed them also.

They don't come with any fitting instructions so maybe someone needs to stick all this good advice in the FAQ so that no one else makes the same mistakes.

I was just thinking that, would also make a good informative article for westfield world, any volunteers?   :D

Nope not the issue. It is obvious if the nylon bits are not in properly  as there would be a gap between the rim of the hat and the wishbone. The sleeve being stuck in the bush and not rotating at all and unable to be removed with a hammer and 14mm stud easily is indicative of the problem.

My comments were directed at Darren, sorry.

This sounded a more likely scenario in his case being as he said the sleeves pushed in relatively easily.

I'd love to see some tips / guidelines / hints on the bushes - changing / fitting / what you should & shouldnt do.

My comments were directed at Darren, sorry.

This sounded a more likely scenario in his case being as he said the sleeves pushed in relatively easily.

It well be something I need to look at when I pull it all apart this afternoon.  I had removed some of the powdercoat from the inside of the wishbone in the course of tidying it up from removing the metelastic bushes. so that's probably why the inserts fitted a little better.  I definately didn't take any off the ends.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything like the knowledge and understanding that I now have (before I fitted them) and it's frustrating to think that I may have to chuck a load of money down the drain in order to rectify it.  :bangshead:

Yes I agree. When I installed them I did a little searching and did not find clear installation instructions. Yes, I do think this should be featured in the Faqs. I ordered my bushes from the factory, I think they should send out an instruction leaflet which could justify the extra charge they make! Anyway thats my 2 pennies worth. I will be adding instructions on my website, when I have finished the procedure anyway. Thanks guys for all your feedback.