Nylon bushes

adamnreeves

Okay, don't laugh and I do not want a barrage of posts on how nylon bushes work, as I know now, but when I installed the bushes and sleeves I didn't!

You probably know where this is going. I need to remove the sleeves and bushes from my wishbones because of severe stiction. The powder coating was not removed from inside the bush mounts and no fettling was done. Consequenty the sleeves are stuck solid!

So anyone got any idea how to remove which does no involve damaging the bushes, I want to sort of the problem and re-use the bushes.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamnreeves

• Darren B

• Al Yupright

• Paul Hurdsfield - Joint Manchester AO

I put my wishbones in the oven for an hour to ease installation, could help getting them out. I reckon you could be looking at using a hydraulic press though, and dont fancy your chances on reusing the bushes.

I put my wishbones in the oven for an hour to ease installation, could help getting them out. I reckon you could be looking at using a hydraulic press though, and dont fancy your chances on reusing the bushes.

Good idea putting in the oven as a last resort as this will damage he bushes, i.e. melt them!

Will they not just tap out with a drift of some sort ? If not then I reckon your chances of re using the nylon bits are pretty slim  :down:

Bazzer

Will they not just tap out with a drift of some sort ? If not then I reckon your chances of re using the nylon bits are pretty slim  :down:

Bazzer

oh, more wasted money! On this note, does anyone know where I can get this cheaper than what I paid for them, £5.50 + VAT each.

Have you tried soaking them in hot soapy water for a while ?

then use a piece of hardwood as a drift and give them a good tw*tting, the hardwood should not damage anything, it might work, you never know  :t-up:

Will they not just tap out with a drift of some sort ? If not then I reckon your chances of re using the nylon bits are pretty slim  <!--emo&:down:

Bazzer

oh, more wasted money! On this note, does anyone know where I can get this cheaper than what I paid for them, £5.50 + VAT each.

As long as you support it all and hit just the metal centre, surely they will come out ?

Bazzer

Hi Adam,

I thought you had this job sorted weeks ago, I guess you got fedup following my instructions regarding fitting  :bangshead:

Anyway this should help, if you remove the wishbones, cover them in masking tape to protect the powder coat and put them in a vice one by one.

Get a tube or something slightly smaller in diameter to the size of the insert and use it as a drift to knock the inserts out, otherwise if you have a vice big enough you could put a deep socket on the opposing side and try to press the insert out.

When/if you have managed to remove the inserts, get a 5 inch length of 8mm dia rod or similar, cut a slot down the middle for approx 1 inch, insert some emery cloth into this slot & wrap around the rod a few times.

You can put this into a drill & use it to take some material off the inner bore of the bushes untill the inserts fit correctly. It is time consuming but does the job.

When you finally fit the inserts smear them in grapite grease or copperslip. You should be able to turn the insert inside the bush using index finger and thumb.

Mark.

If you're going to do it this way...which seems less than ideal to me...

do not under any circumstances remove too much of the nylon bush. If the metal sleeve is too loose inside the bush then you car will be all over the shop!

When/if you have managed to remove the inserts, get a 5 inch length of 8mm dia rod or similar, cut a slot down the middle for approx 1 inch, insert some emery cloth into this slot & wrap around the rod a few times.

You can put this into a drill & use it to take some material off the inner bore of the bushes untill the inserts fit correctly. It is time consuming but does the job.

I did just that to remove the powder coating from inside the wishbone bush when i fitted my metalastic bushes, I cut a bit of brush handle, cut a slot in it for sandpaper, tapered down one end to fit my drill and away you go  :t-up:

If you're going to do it this way...which seems less than ideal to me...

do not under any circumstances remove too much of the nylon bush. If the metal sleeve is too loose inside the bush then you car will be all over the shop!

It's fine if you take your time & use verniers to check the clearances as you go along, I had to do a bit of it when fitting my gts wishbones...

Hi Adam,

I thought you had this job sorted weeks ago, I guess you got fedup following my instructions regarding fitting  :bangshead:

Anyway this should help, if you remove the wishbones, cover them in masking tape to protect the powder coat and put them in a vice one by one.

Get a tube or something slightly smaller in diameter to the size of the insert and use it as a drift to knock the inserts out, otherwise if you have a vice big enough you could put a deep socket on the opposing side and try to press the insert out.

When you finally fit the inserts smear them in grapite grease or copperslip. You should be able to turn the insert inside the bush using index finger and thumb.

Mark.

Yep I had inserted bushes weeks 'n' weeks ago but since then I had noticed some posts regarding stiction. I thought I'd start tightenng up my wishbones as the bushes are nylon and do not suffer from pre-loading like metalastics do. Tightening specifically to check for stiction. All of this which I have learnt since I installed the bushes. Sigh! stiction, and I knew exactly why! So I decided (correctly) to take the wishbones off and start again. My problem was trying to hold in a vice without damaging the bush mounts, I have been trying to hit out the sleeves with a socket and extention bar and a big hammer, but it keeps dropping out of the vice! I think I need to make something (block of wood) to put under one side of the mount but allowing the sleeve room to push through. Thanks for the tips about 8mm rod and emery cloth. If I remove the bush completely and remove power coat from inside the mount, should I still need to do this? Mind you if the nylon bits are as difficult to get out as the sleeve and would risk damaging them then I think it would be better to leave in and increase the bore for the sleeve using the method you suggest.

P.S. I had coated well in cooper slip when I did this the first time and I squeezed the inserts in with a vice!.. I know, I know.