Cossie power

godsy1969

Just reading through a few threads, seems quite a number of guys using n/a cossie power.  I'm 95% there with the engine 30% with the car SEW.  Any top tips or advice, after building and driving, pitfalls, etc.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• godsy1969

• juansolo

• StuartMackay

Get a turbo, get it properly mapped and p*** all over the NA boys :0

:D:D:D:p

Dream on :p

As for "quite a few", I counted 7. We are handsomely outnumbered by everyone except w**kel users...

Tips? Lots, depends how far along you are. What's currently gnawing away at you?

We are handsomely outnumbered by everyone except w**kel users...

And Chevy users

What kind of spec' n/a engines do you guys run, any details welcome, ie, internals, spray jets or spray bar, 4x4 head ofr 2ed, cams..........................Ah yes cams for road use L1 inlet and BD3 exhaust ring any bells.......any good for road use, cause thats what I've got.  Whats it like

got any amount of cossy bits if you change ye mind

Seems to be a pre-requsite for owning one, a large collection of expensive oily paperweights :p

What kind of spec' n/a engines do you guys run, any details welcome, ie, internals, spray jets or spray bar, 4x4 head ofr 2ed, cams..........................Ah yes cams for road use L1 inlet and BD3 exhaust ring any bells.......any good for road use, cause thats what I've got.  Whats it like

What pistons will you be using, and do you have genuine Cosworth block, crank and rods?

L1/BD3 will need reasonably careful setting up. Mine has a definite powerband at about 3500/4000rpm when all hell breaks loose. Below 3000rpm it's almost as gutless as my Mondeo diesel... I'm going to fix it by fitting fuel injection and redoing the cam timing. Should be good.

If you're running carbs, you may well need a set of 48's, and don't expect to see fuel consumption on the good side of 20mpg. On track, mine does about 4mpg...

Heads are heads pretty much. Get one that's had as few skims and as little abuse as possible, as it gives room for future skims etc etc. Porting work to full atmo spec will see you spending 800 to 1000 pounds, but unless you really want 300bhp, you can leave the valves alone.

The standard Cossie oil pick up has a spray bar for throwing oil at the underside of the pistons so use that.

Get a set of non stretch head bolts from John Wilcox 'cos new head bolts every time you have the head off is costly. Or I was just unlucky :oops:

L14 Inlets and BD3 exhausts, pulls like a train off of idle up to kinell. Idles at 900 rpm, and I am using electronic ignition and weber 45s.

Thanks for your input guys, I'm running twin 48's with a 4x4 head, the cams are as mentined L1 and BD3, double valve springs, Accralite pistons 11.3:1 CR.  New cossie rods (HD)and crank, have had my 205 block modified to take YBP squirt jets.  I couldn't face parting with the money for a YB oil pump when all thats different is the top cap when compared with the pinto.  The squirt jets enable me to run the £70 pinto HP pump, and the mod to jets I did very cheap,  I've got it all poly vee'd on the front as well.  

I've also got an RS2000 ally sump at the mo' but not installed it does anyone know if it fits in the SEW without any clashing??????  

Concerned now about driveability with the cams now!!! As most of my driving will be on the road.

Drivability will also be affectecd by the chokes. What size chokes do you have?

In all honesty, I think it'll be just fine.

The ally RS sump will fit in the SEiW chassis just fine. I have a works twin wing ally sump (holds nearly 7 litres of oil! )in my narrow chassis with no issues, but do check the ground clearance...

What gearbox do you have?