That old corker: Which engine shall I fit ?

davebo

harv, the point I am trying to make all along is that a standard Duratec will make over 200bhp, that is what all the Duratec developers state. They must know something  ;)  But the Zetec and VX in the same spec won't.

But yes I agree the Zetec and VX will make similar power, we all know that.

Oh, please believe me my head is NOT ported or gas flowed.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you a badly ported head will in fact reduce power, who ported and built Richards engine???

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conibear

• davebo

• Blatman

• Carl

i have no idea who ported it ...........if your head is not ported then i appologise the 2 i have seen were both ported ,one was 230bhp the other was 218 which was richards ,

I know you can get 250 out of them i have seen and been in dannys car , and tbh i think richards engine has issues ...........

if you go back to the beginin the you will see that i recommended the duratec ........ i belive its the way to go as its going to be the more current engine ,and i didnt say ever the zetec was better .

if it was my money i would start with a 2.3 dura , i know there are issues with them vs the 2.0 but its where my money would go .

Fwiw what does a stock 2.3 make ???

and i am not having a go ..............

ps i can make head nor tail of the semsec tyre regs as to whats allowed ,its either list 1b or its anything goes slicks but it contradicts in my reading?*

* wouldn't want a tyre advantage.

harv, I think the 2.3 makes 230bhp standard.

FWIW, I have seen a couple of Duratec Caterhams that didn't seem to go that well, but I don't know what spec they would have been and don't know who made them.

Semsec regs and entry forms are not available at the mo or they weren't last week.

I be running either slicks or ACB10, prob slicks

So a 2.0l duratec is from a mondeo. What about the 2.3 ? some of the threads say its from US pickups only. Is this true ?

...getting seriously tempted by all that power. But at some point I should buy a house!

the 2.3 will not make that much as standard the compression is way too low

210 maybe but all the power is low down. put in 2.0 pistons and 2.0 cams and that would be ok

it would also depend on which 2.3 as the ranger is different to the focus and also the mazda variants.

anyway who would have a standard 2.3 with all those nice new shiney bits available!

oooh shiney mmmh

:0  :suspect:   :suspect:   ???

So a 2.0l duratec is from a mondeo. What about the 2.3 ? some of the threads say its from US pickups only. Is this true ?

...getting seriously tempted by all that power. But at some point I should buy a house!

Davebo,

I've seen a couple of 2.3 Duratech's on ebay, NEW! I think the last one went for about £800 'ish

Tigger

if it was my money i would start with a 2.3 dura , i know there are issues with them vs the 2.0 but its where my money would go .

what are the issues with the 2.3 over the 2.0 ???

Depends if the person giving the view has 2.0l or 2.3l bits to sell...

I had a conversation with someone who is far more knowledgeable than me (and NOT a relative...) about the Duratec engines, and his opinion (like mine) is that the 2.3 is the way to go. The tuners want to sell you stuff for the 2.0l engines that they have been developing up to now, and accomplish this by apparently giving the 2.3 some bad press...

When/IF I get shot of the Cossie, the current replacement engine to fill the hole would be a 2.3 Duratec.