That old corker: Which engine shall I fit ?

davebo

Have just got wiring loom for my WF build. And so I really need to decide on the engine I'm fitting.

From the outset I've always expected I'd fit a 2L Zetec. But its taken me so long to get this far I'm now wondering if Duratecs are available cheaply yet ?

I realise ther are certain disadvantages to the duratec such as modified bellhousing required, and maybe mod to sump too? But I believe it develops much more power, is lighter and generally a better engine.

Anybody know the difference in power between 2L Duratec and Zetec ? And cost difference from a breakers?

I also figure throttle bodies are the way to go rather than carbs but anybody know if you can use injection that is fitted to engine in the Mondeo ? (I can then upgarde all that later once I'm running)

Finally, whatever I choose I guess I'll need a cat if my engine is post 92 ?

Many many thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conibear

• davebo

• Blatman

• Carl

very similar powers with similar specs .but the dura can go a little further and get a few more bhp ............ but the real clincher is that the 2.3 releases 250bhp quite easily.

I agree. If a Duratec is in the frame then a 2.3 is the way to go. But either way it won't be cheap. No idea if you could use the standard Mondeo inlet system either...

Non CAT SVA means engines must be pre 1995, not 1992.

I also figure throttle bodies are the way to go rather than carbs but anybody know if you can use injection that is fitted to engine in the Mondeo ? (I can then upgarde all that later once I'm running)

Yes you can, some of the 1800's were on std Ford Injection.

You will probably want a modified sump on the zetec as well for clearence, along with correct rotating water pump and also 1.8L flywheel (I think). Don't know about Duratecs.

Tb kit for Zetec for £1300 ish from retro ford

very similar powers with similar specs

???

Standard stock 2L Zetec with TB's is circa 170bhp.

Standard stock 2L Duratec with TB's is circa 200bhp.

I wouldn't call that similar, but you may know something I don't ???  :p

Hi Dave,

If you look at the bottom of page 23 of the jan 2006 Practical Performance Car mag, there's a bit about a new Duratec inlet manifold made by GTS tuning, which fits inside 7 types cars bonnets.  They are claiming a 30bhp increase for the 1.8, 2.0 and 2.3 engines.  Costs £150 though.

May be worth looking at.

Kirk  :t-up:

30bhp improvement from just an inlet manifold, it must have one of those little turbo fans in it... :bangshead:

I think the 30bhp extra will cone from the 45's/TB's you'll be bolting on, rather than the manifold...

very similar powers with similar specs

???

Standard stock 2L Zetec with TB's is circa 170bhp.

Standard stock 2L Duratec with TB's is circa 200bhp.

I wouldn't call that similar, but you may know something I don't ???  :p

err i beg to differ ............  you can show me a totally bog stock dura giving 200bhp ?

for that matter you can show me a totally bog stock zetec giving 170bhp ?

on tb's ?.......

for a fact you arn't gonna see more than 165 from a stock zetec ,and thats if its a real gem from production ,and that would be rare.

stock bottom end  dura , pocketed pistons , ported head , cams , dura 210 to 220  carbs or tbs

same for a zetec .......... we have had quite a few side by side on the rollers ,they give similar feel  and powers within 5 or 6 bhp

Ian the 226bhp kit you have for sale ....... from the parts you list its the same as i have in my zetec and i have 223 bhp (dyno figure) and i'm on carbs ,

This may be of no concern to you, but has not been mentioned so far, the Duratec exhaust is on RHS and Zetec on LHS.

As to anything else there are far more expert opinions on here than I can give. :p

Kerry

I think the 30bhp extra will cone from the 45's/TB's you'll be bolting on, rather than the manifold...

I think blatters has the same spell checker as me

:D

...will "cone" from the ...  :p  ;)

I think all Duratecs as post '95 so you WILL have to fit a "cat"

Tigger

Dave,

don't get sucked into the "must have more power as it's always best"

If it's mainly road use you'll not often get to use more than 200bhp.

Track work is different.

from the parts you list its the same as i have in my zetec and i have 223 bhp (dyno figure) and i'm on carbs ,

Yes Harvy your Zetec is the most powerfull one out there after all it's yours  :D  :p  :D

If you are building from new and have to buy all the bits anyway go the Duratec route

A bellhousing is a bellhousing same for clutch,flywheels.Tb's, cams, exhausts, etc.

If its POWER you are after have a look at the new SBD Westfield with a 300BHP 2ltr Duratec engine in it [engine is/was built in Holland] and Steve did not use the 2.3ltr ask Steve why it's a long story and involves money and false marketing IMHO as well as engineering principels