Car Pics.

Zonda_

Bought my Westy for 3k (1990 SE with xflow) off a bloke who had 'grown up' and wanted to buy an MG. They are out there straight, taxed and tested and running for this price.

(however the mortgage I've spent on it since is another topic :D )

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zonda_

• SADDLEWORTH

• JeffC

• MAT1800

The price I told you. The guy who owns the salvage yard is my best mate. The insurance paid out £8.5k and he buys the cars from them at 30% roughly.

He's spoken to the insurace company and they have it down as being a race prepped engine on their records.

Why does it seem you won't take the hint that folks are telling you to walk away from it cos its not worth it  :D  :D  :D  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???

Its your money  :D  :D

O.K then here goes - "it looks a truly awesome bargain you should buy it, straight away" ***  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

*** I'm lieing  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :D

Could  that be  a coincidence  (spelling?)  the underbidder is also from  the same location as the car being sold   ???  

He could be getting someone to bid it up, or he's bid himself under a different name.

Still doesn't look bad for £4k

The price I told you. The guy who owns the salvage yard is my best mate. The insurance paid out £8.5k and he buys the cars from them at 30% roughly.

That's a bit strange than, most salvage yards pay 15% of a cars value in my experience, not usually 30% unless it has minimal damage & is not recorded.

Zonda, do yourself a favour mate, reading from your other posts you say you're not the most mechanically minded person & are not used to westfields, couple this to the price, condition and complications that this car has and you have a steep learning curve that will be costly and time consuming.

It will also leave you with a car that has bad history & will be more difficult to sell, to sell it you may have to drop the price drastically leaving you out of pocket.

Therefore take the advice and look around for a straight car, take your time, look at a few examples, go to your local meet & chat to owners who will steer you in the right direction.

It would be a good idea to go to donnington this weekend to the kit car show, you will probably find a few cars for sale & can speak to the owners etc.

HTH,

Cheers,

Mark.

It's on both days (saturday & sunday), there's track action on the sunday also.

Cheers,

Mark.

I had a prang in my westy a few years ago and produced an almost identical result. Very hard to tell if the chassis was bent with the body on, even after lots of measuring. Body came off and chassis was bent at the front but straight from the bulk head back. Had a new front professionally welded on and the body was judged straight on a jig. Costs to have it repaired included new body tub, nose cone and bonnet plus exhaust manifold and front suspension both sides.

It's not far removed from a new build IMO.Total cost including all parts and labour (charged at a measly £20 an hour) came to just shy of £5K so on top of the 3K you are paying I think you could get a nice '98 zetec with all the right bits if you look for it.

My advice is NO!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D