• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Westfield .... Cateringvan..?

steveb

There you go.

Hi John, yep looks like we missed the fun.

I`ve got half a bag of Cheese & Onion crisps left  if you want some with your can.

:D

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• James

• chrisbin

• Martin Keene

Just got back from the off-license with some more Guiness.

Anyone for another.

Right were are we up to, anyone thrown the first punch yet or has it all settled down.

no thanks i want some of michaelcoombs laphraoig

mmmmmmmmmmm whisky

6) A Caterham handles exceptionally well “out of the box” with less tweeking and adjustment required.

the only point i take real exception too. i recently had a very spirited drive of a year old roadsport and the handling was woefull.  violent lift off oversteer.  brake balance way too rear biased. too much understeer a lot earlier than my westie.  clutch was crap.

having said that ive also recently driven an r500 and i thought it was loverly.  but that was a 4 yr old car that had been tweeked.  the only reason i got out of it was cos i ******* the dry sump and was starting to enjoy it a little toooooo much and was about to wrap it arounda tree.

*waves empty glass at michael for some more laphroiag*

*waves empty glass at michael for some more laphroiag*

help yourself oioi

where is the 'I think i've got the muchies' emoticon, hic*

emmmm toast!

Steve B - I bought my first Westfield 3 months ago now.

I set myself a £10,000 budget.

Basically i bought a 4 year old Megablade (X reg, not Q)

Check out Autotraders website & look for a £10,000 Caterham.

You will get an 89 F plate with cycle wings & a 1.4 K series....

What would you rather have?

:p

Megablade??  :p F***** 'ell  - no doubt the clutch is a switch and you get the performance only by making it scream :p

F reg???  You didn't look to hard did you???  Look at this lurvely lot for sale here.  

I sold a two year old Caterham with 190 bhp and a 6 speed box and LSD for £13K. There are bargains to be had if you're patient  :D

Trouble is, bargains become "shocking depreciation" depending on which side of the fence you sit...

Megablade??  :p F***** 'ell  - no doubt the clutch is a switch and you get the performance only by making it scream :p

Oh here we go... the clutches are fine - different - but fine.

Of course you make it scream... so would you if you had an engine that safely revved to nearly 12,000 rpm and a six speed sequential box. And I've heard all the stuff about how light the K series is but it doesn't weigh 80kgs WITH it's gearbox.

Finally (and this one is for all seven type cars with a car engine) have a look at the 750MC RGB BEC series lap times. Right now look at their Kitcar championship times for cars with car engines. Nuff said. :D  :p

The first ideas usually the best one, and that was spend about £9000 on the best Westfield I can find, its concluded i'll do that. :D

But thanks for pointing out the differences between the two families, I can safely say I know a lot more now than before I started this thread.

My summary now:

1. Caterhams are smaller (so could be regarded as more chuckable as effectively you have more road)

2. Westfileds are massively better value

3. Caterhams are lighter in general (this suprised me)

4. Westfields have a more robust space frame, better coated

5. In terms of reliability / tuning Westfields have better engine choices

6. Caterhams have better wet weather gear

7. Westfield have more modern looks, Caterham more classic (personnel preference)

8. Westfield backup is likely to be better

9. Caterhams use more aluminium, so feel less creaky, more like the classic 7 (reason for lighter weight?)

10. Westfield use GRP so (at present) finish is better

11. Both are equal on handling as really they both need corner weighting and suspension setup properly by someone that knows what they are doing.

that a fair round up?

I sold a two year old Caterham with 190 bhp and a 6 speed box and LSD for £13K. There are bargains to be had if you're patient  :D

Still a bit over his £8000-10000 budget though. For £10000 I'd still prefer a higher spec westy than either a supersprint, classic, old/high mileage (for a 7) or Cat that has been raced, which is all you could get. To get a similar spec Cat, you would need to increase your budget by at least 20%.

I could buy some more beers and crisps instead with that.

Top up anyone?

Was that sofa uncomfortable last night? :D

Top up anyone?

Actually, if you're going to the kitchen, stick the kettle on. It's coffee time...

My summary now:

1 I found them too small to get into, drove one at Bedford Autodrome.

3 Not true - recent Blackbird Caterham at SVA weighs just over 500Kg, Hayabusa Dax Rush with lighter brakes but bigger wheels was just under 500Kg at same SVA centre.

10 Westy grp is really good finish, better than most I've seen.

11  :t-up: