• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Elite gearbox

Westfieldman

will post an update after I had a work with Mark at Elite I know what has broken but not why Mark knows its broken and I am waiting for a relpy so please wait and see

Details and pictures to follow if MARK's OK with that.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Westfieldman

• Blatman

• Nick M

• Bananaman

Anything to do with the fact that it seemed a right tw** of a job to get reverse within a reasonable time frame??

Anything to do with the fact that it seemed a right tw** of a job to get reverse within a reasonable time frame??

No that was down to me getting use to it

I have now spoken with Mark from Elite

He is collecting the gearbox from work tomorrow from work [it's a little closer for him] and turning the repair around in a couple of days

Now it looks like the engine spun up to 10,000rpm it still runs other than replacing the big end bearings and a leakdown test is there anything else that I can do to check it's all OK

I will be resetting the chain tensioner as there self tighten too much at high rpm and wear the chain tensioner

Blimey sounds expensive!!!

Sorry to here youve broken it Paul.  Puts my poxy misfire problem in the shade somewhat. The blat you gave me in the car at Curby was brief but bl**** impressive.

Hope it gets fixed soon

Mark

you should've stayed with the old box and put a VX in

And go slower than when I had my old engine [a Zetec]

Pictures of he broken input shaft

Basicaly the input shaft has been over hardened and snapped clean off [technical expleration promised via E-mail from Elite]

Thet are making a new batch as the other 9 out of 10 are too hard as well so they are trying to get it back for Saturday evening or Sunday morning I have a track day Thursday 28th July

Elite%2007.jpg

Elite%2006.jpg

Elite%2005.jpg

doesnt look over hardened to me, look soft centered ie only surface hardened. Keep us updated with how you get on, as I was considering one of these, but might go with my tried and tested albeit heavy alternative.

It's supposed to be soft in the center. Possibly the residual stresses weren't correct. Not only do you want it hard (-ish), but you want the residual stresses to be right as well. It's easy to make mistakes. You'd be surprised how many companies that do heat treatment have no idea what we mean when we talk about residual stresses. (btw- I work for a company that make hardness and residual stress measurement equipment).

From Elite

Paul,

After taking a look at your gearbox, we have found that the input shaft that broke was too hard. It was noted that the shaft had broken clean through which was unusual for it not to have any severe twisting. This caused us to investigate the materials properties. We found that the surface hardness was too hard thus making the core hardrer than required, which in turn created a brittle failure. We had taken your input shaft from a new batch of 10off shafts and foud that the whole of the batch were too hard, an error from the sub contract heat treatment company. We have now got to get them temper the other 9off shafts back to the correct hardness.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

DAVE FENTON

Elite Racing Transmissions

e dfenton@eliteracingtransmissions.com

t 01782 280136

f 01782 269913

Bad luck  :( Im almost glad I cant afford one now  :)

Hope all ends well.

John