• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Cooked

geofff

Hi Chaz,

WF (Iain / Mark) said not to bother using expansion tank on my racer as it reduces tubes / water in the engine bay. I can fill up any overflow from system after every practice / race. This advice probably isn't relevant to road cars.

Ta

Geoff

:)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geofff

• JonnyBoy

• S8ight

• Blatman

If anyone does need an expansion tank you need one with a single hose terminating under the water level and it must be open to the air pressure (i.e. not a tight fitting or pressure relief cap).

Car builder solutions had some nice ones at Stoneleigh. They really just make it a bit more maintenance free. Any overflow just gets sucked back in when the engine cools, eliminating the need for a top up.

And yes, I agree the Raceline rail needs a hole in the 'stat to aid bleeding of the system when filling and to prevent the temperature overshooting and then cycling due to poor flow around the closed 'stat. I think a single 2mm hole did the job for mine. I found that anything bigger and it took an age to heat up in cold weather. YMMV

Kevin

Hi All,

I did have an airlock under the thermostat :(

I drilled out my 88-102 thermostat last night with 3 * 4mm holes. I will fit the lower thermostat when it comes in.

Ran smoothly on start up, blipped the throttle a bit and the temp rose (about two minutes) to 70/80 before I switched off.

I also compression tested it - no problems - all the same!  :D

Ta

Geoff

just checked my stst..

its a waxstat 119..

ant idea what temp that would be?

pretty sure it was replaced by part number from raceline!

not to worry

its back together.. 2 4mm holes - no thermal shock now.. but it still didnt get over 75 degrees untill i stopped it, popped into the shop, came out and then it was running at 80 deg on the way home.

so - better - but still not quite there!

Got bored so googled "waxstat 119" got this:

Unipart   (Waxstat)

82 Degree C / 180 Degree F GTS101

88 Degree C / 190 Degree F GTS???

I wonder if the GTS??? is GTS119 ?

Got anymore detail?

Ta

Geoff

just checked my stst..

its a waxstat 119..

ant idea what temp that would be?

cant find cross reference for it  ???

did it not have a temp stamped on it ??

i've never seen a stat that wasnt stamped  ???

• 4 weeks later...
Apolgies for the diversion, but while I was searching on Zetec Cool I found this thread. My new on the road Zetec 1800 is running really cool, 50-60 (westfield temp sensor on VDO gauges, polo rad and fan switch). Fan cuts in no problem when sitting in traffic and brings it down easily but when on the open road and the wind is flowing freely it drops down again to the 60 level. Should I be concerned, how do I raise the normal running temp?

Overcooling has been covered lots. Check out Steppenwolffs site for a chapter and verse article with pictures and everything...

To add to this drifted thread... When sorted the over cooling on my Zetec, I found that the inlet or outlet under the thermostat was a 19mm diameter one and not 16mm, even though a 16mm hose had been forced on there during the build as that's what Westfield supplied. Next time I would get a bit of 19mm hose and a reducing coupler to the 16mm.