Storing a westie?

Mike-SEiW

Mike is going to be a student, so wages theory doesn't apply...

I only use public transport when I absolutely have to (and it's *very* rare), but whenever I do, I'm always disappointed. I can't tell you how glad I am that I ride a motorbike...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• conibear

• Mike-SEiW

• scott beeland

Wages 30% better than outside it, Thameslink trains are superb (others may not be), reliable but busy after about 8.00 am however its only 25 mins from Harpenden and I can be anywhere in West end and city within a hour of leaving home and that includes 12 min drive to station. The new eurotrains will soon be in St Pancras so its a short hop to france and Thameslink goes straight to Gatwick too.

Notwithstanding that its a fantastic place, I will not work anywhere else, there is no place with a bigger buzz.

I like the sound of this.  :t-up::)

Studies are only for a year and then a job after that.

The dream is a Mini Cooper S, Aston DB7 and Westfield, living in a Mews house with double garage :)  I can dream can't I?  :xmas:

I only use public transport when I absolutely have to (and it's *very* rare), but whenever I do, I'm always disappointed. I can't tell you how glad I am that I ride a motorbike...

I don't agree with you here, now there's a thing :D

I constantly commute all over London by van, car, motorbike, train and underground. Van and car commuting is as those that know stressful and expensive. Also travel occasionally by pillion on a back of a motorbike which I got to say is simply the most dangerous form of transport around London IMHO. Off thread I know, but over the 20 years of me commuting by vehicle, I can honestly say I've seen more accidents with motorcyclists involved than anything else. The reason is, these type of motorcyclists do not care about any other vehicles, anyone else or give a dam about safety.  

However, the train and underground is far and away the best forms of transport around London, there cannot be any arguments I'm afraid.

I'm off    :D

As a courier for over 17 years in London, I have a different perspective on how dangerous motorcycling is in the capital... Maybe you should try your journey with me instead of an amateur... :p

We're contemplating moving to London (currently in Sweden). Most likely, we'd be living in central London, and obviously, I wouldn't at first be able to pay for a garage nearby (I'll be studying for a year until I hope to get a job that pays for my hobby :D ).

Are there any places/facilities that are available for rent within say an hours drive that I could store my Westfield in, perhaps with at least some facilities for tinkering like changing oil? Or do people rent out private garages? What should I look for and what could it cost? This is really early stage, so I'm just throwing it out there to see what I would expect to have to compromise on. Anyone else live in London and how have you solved the problem?

I have no idea what to do and I would be very saddened to have to sell the car or leave it behind for a number of years until I hope to be able to afford a garage nearby.  

:(

On the upside though, I'll be joining the WSCC as soon as I'm over if I can find a way of bringing the car. :)

I took an extended holiday around the world a couple of years ago and had to store my westy, I contacted the local council and put my name down on one of their garages and one came up free in a few weeks. Granted it may take longer but it's cheap enough at £4 a week and I've added security locks to make it as safe as you can nowadays. I also fixed the leaks in the roof and bought a breathable car cover.

After more than 12 months away the car was in really good condition with a few spots of surface rust the only visible signs of it storage.

If you know where you're going to live give the local council a ring, you don't have to take one but it might work out well.

:D

Maybe you should try your journey with me instead of an amateur... :p

No thanks

Are you that good then ???  co's my mate aint as bad as you reckon :p

17 years as a courier, on nothing smaller than a K100 BMW (currently a K1100LT), and not a single accident whilst working, and only 1 ticket for speeding, back in 1988. Not bad for 50-60K miles a year, mostly within the M25...

Yes, I am that good, 'cos I don't think *anyone* could say I've been consistently lucky 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year for 17 years... :p

If you check accident statistics for Couriers in London, I'm pretty sure that the last time I checked, (it was a while ago now though) and according to an official body of some sort, in 97% of accidents involving couriers, the other party was found to be at fault. Doesn't make riding a bike any safer per se, but it shows that experience can help mitigate the risk that you pose to yourself when compared to a born again, or a commuter... and I speak as some-one who has seen 8 freinds killed, and one paralysed for life in that time.

And if I had a pound for every time some plonker (pedestrian or car driver, take your pick) has said "sorry mate, I didn't see you" just after they'd scared themselves and me ****less, I'd have retired to somewhere warm by now...

Like I said though, my perspective on motorcycling in London is totally different to the perspective of people who have less experience, and more belief in what they read in the Evening Standard/Ms London/Time Out etc etc...

£220k would get you a two bedroomed flat/maisionette with garage where I live. And thats about 40 mins max to central London via train/tube :D

220k is what the flat above me is up for.  it has two bedrooms, no garage but parking in asecure backyard.  your westie could keep mine company :)

unfortunately i live in Newcastle

the north aint so cheap no more  :angry:  :(  :down:  :bangshead:  :down:

17 years as a courier, on nothing smaller than a K100 BMW (currently a K1100LT), and not a single accident whilst working, and only 1 ticket for speeding, back in 1988. Not bad for 50-60K miles a year, mostly within the M25...

Yes, I am that good, 'cos I don't think *anyone* could say I've been consistently lucky 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year for 17 years... :p

If you check accident statistics for Couriers in London, I'm pretty sure that the last time I checked, (it was a while ago now though) and according to an official body of some sort, in 97% of accidents involving couriers, the other party was found to be at fault. Doesn't make riding a bike any safer per se, but it shows that experience can help mitigate the risk that you pose to yourself when compared to a born again, or a commuter... and I speak as some-one who has seen 8 freinds killed, and one paralysed for life in that time.

And if I had a pound for every time some plonker (pedestrian or car driver, take your pick) has said "sorry mate, I didn't see you" just after they'd scared themselves and me ****less, I'd have retired to somewhere warm by now...

Like I said though, my perspective on motorcycling in London is totally different to the perspective of people who have less experience, and more belief in what they read in the Evening Standard/Ms London/Time Out etc etc...

You could well be that good/lucky or just big headed, but public transport is still the best way to travel around London ;)

oioi, bl****ell, you must earn grand dosh up there :D

nope :( just bought before it got silly

the taller they are there the harder they fall (heres hoping)

You could well be that good/lucky or just big headed,

If the cap fits, I'll wear it.. :0:D

How good am I? Albert Hall to London N20, last Thursday, departing SW7 at 17.25, I rolled up at N20 35 minutes later and that was in my car. Beat the tube by over an hour, and a bus by nearly the same amount, with no walking required at either end...

public transport is still the best way to travel around London

Only if you don't know your way around...

Blatman, sounds like your bl**** good at driving as well as motorcycling  :0  :0  :0

Why don't you become a black cab ???

Youv'e got the gift of the gab alright :p  :p

and the knowledge :0  :0  :0  :D

Did the knowledge for a laugh because plenty of people make a big noise about it. If you were starting cold, yes it's tough. When I looked at it, I had 5 years experience of couriering, and I could do most of the routes without too much trouble, although I've always had a bit of a blind spot around the Peckham/Brockley/Penge areas. And when I say "did the knowledge" I never actually formally applied for a green badge. A friend of mine was doing the knowledge whilst working, so I was able to look at what he was doing. It was pretty easy stuff for most of us who had a few years experience. Most knowledge boys start off never having actually ridden a moped before, let alone tried driving in London for 10 to 12 hours a day, so they think it's hard, and it takes them several years to qualfy. My friend did it in about 12 months, and there are several other ex couriers of my acquaintance who took similar times to pass. The hardest part of the knowledge is not the driving, it's the PCO examinations...

And as I am at pains to point out, my perception of driving/riding around London is totally different to the vast majority of the population, so my opinions based on my perceptions are also wholly different to most peoples.

So bringing this back on topic :0

I think if Mikes knowledge of London is similar to most average Londoners, and he plans to live in a central postcode area near Imperial College (SW7, W11, SW1, SW3, maybe W2) then he'll find local storage expensive. However, Imperial College in SW7 (Kensington Gore) is close enough to a couple of Piccadilly line tube stations which will take him straight to several nice areas of West London which I've already mentioned, where he can store the car more cheaply, and which will be pretty easily accesible. If he stays a bit futher east or north, then he'll be in for a trip on the Northern Line to the suburbs like Finchley or Edgeware, where again storage will be cheaper and easily accessible, although the Northen Line is a little longer time and distance wise.

Hilux's option of a house with a garage in the satellite towns like Stevenage/Hitchin/Ware/Hertford/Watford/Amersham/High Wycombe/Brentwood/Chelmsford/Cheshunt etc etc has it's merits, but the overground trains during the rush, whilst quick, will be crowded, and he'll still have to get on at least one more tube or bus to get to college. It'd be a pain in the A*** journey, IMHO, and it would be expensive...

overground trains during the rush, whilst quick, will be crowded

Yeah but who turns up for lectures at that time in the morning?  If I had a whole day with the same lecturer, I'd turn up at lunchtime,thus missing the rush and being able to get a cheaper travelcard, knowing that the lecturer would recap the morning's teaching, minus waffle, at the start of the afternoon session  :D