Storing a westie?

Mike-SEiW

We're contemplating moving to London (currently in Sweden). Most likely, we'd be living in central London, and obviously, I wouldn't at first be able to pay for a garage nearby (I'll be studying for a year until I hope to get a job that pays for my hobby :D ).

Are there any places/facilities that are available for rent within say an hours drive that I could store my Westfield in, perhaps with at least some facilities for tinkering like changing oil? Or do people rent out private garages? What should I look for and what could it cost? This is really early stage, so I'm just throwing it out there to see what I would expect to have to compromise on. Anyone else live in London and how have you solved the problem?

I have no idea what to do and I would be very saddened to have to sell the car or leave it behind for a number of years until I hope to be able to afford a garage nearby.  

:(

On the upside though, I'll be joining the WSCC as soon as I'm over if I can find a way of bringing the car. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• conibear

• Mike-SEiW

• scott beeland

It depends where in London and how much you have to spend. If you look hard enough you will find somewhere to rent that might have a garage attached, alternativly there are places that store cars over here but IIRC they are very expensive.

Best alternative though is to get here if you really must leave Sweden, and then Ryan air do some dirt cheap flights to Sweden and nip back for a fix regularly. It will probably take you longer to drive out of London to enjoy your Westfield, than it would to fly home. Just a thought

You can hire spaces in secure underground carparks but that would be expensive. Also there are many secure storage warehouses on the outskirts of London which would be my first port of call. Otherwise, as Jeff states try and lease a garage with your accomodation or a separate garage, there are plenty for hire.

Central London is no good for driving, it would take probably an hour in any direction to find good seven roads, but there are plenty of sevens around so you wouldn't be alone.

Mike, one bonus you wouldn't be far from Brands Hatch Indy or Lydden :D

I know central London doesn't have many "inspiring" roads...hehe. But I'm not sure I could live without a quick fix now and then...

We haven't really decided on how to live, either a little bit outside and spend time commuting (and less on housing=more for hobbies), or live near and travel out on weekends/joyrides.

One compelling reason to live near the edge is we might be able to afford a house/flat with an attached garage.

I just want to know how other people have solved the problem, or if the solution is to live some distance away. Most likely, both I and the wife will be working in the city.

£220k would get you a two bedroomed flat/maisionette with garage where I live. And thats about 40 mins max to central London via train/tube :D

'kinell....you wanna move up here. 220 k would get you a 4/5 bed new build house; garage ; drive ; gardens if that floats your boat; or a 2/3 bed roof top apartment in city centre with parking; or a 3/4 bed detached village/ cottage type property in a good few rural bits.

Move north...you know it makes sense......Not many southeners either which is ALWAYS good!! :xmas:

Loads more places for accessible motorsport too

Mike likes watching good football. So he's got to go sarf  

What to the Middle-Lands  :D  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D