MOT Failure

bootleboy

Make some tracking bars. I have. Cost less than a tenner for the metal tubing etc, and about 2 quid for the fishing line. A few hours measuring and working out how/where to attach them to the car, and bobs a close relation.......

Tracking my car, front or rear, now takes less than an hour, and is free..........

You can achieve the same effect by using some tube with markings supported on axle stands front and rear (ie, two tubes, one at the front, and one at the rear, running across the car), with fishing line running alongside the car (making a square around the car). It takes a bit longer to set up the base line measurement, but careful measurement has shown this to be 100% accurate for tracking purposes, and no special tools required, just a steel engineers ruler......

10 foot of 2 x 1 timber and 2 off 3" x No 12 woodscrews will make a tracking comparater for SFA

;)

Brian.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• bootleboy

• Man On The Clapham Omnibus

• Toby Mack

Last month my car failed its MOT on:

- broken exhaust mount (fair enough);

- no tell-tale on the dash to show when the fog light is on (what the devil?! Staggeringly nit-picky IMHO, who ever drives a Westy in weather that's so bad that you need the fog lamp and can't see the switch?!;)

Anyway, it was soon all sorted and passed OK - for 5 minutes' work to rewire the light in the switch I couldn't be bothered arguing. However, I decided a couple of weeks later to investigate the persistent squeak from the back axle that had been steadily getting worse. I discovered:

- oil on the rear discs (passenger side, from leaky wheel bearing seal);

- noisy bearing (passenger side)

- rear pads down to the metal (driver's side);

- caliper brackets not welded on straight (both sides).

OK, OK, I shouldn't ever have let it get this bad - but I've only just moved into a house that's not on a hill, so only now can I jack the car up safely. What frightened me is that the car passed an MOT in that condition, at a garage that was picky enough to whinge about a useless dashboard light. The car certainly drove OK, but that's hardly the point.

Should I just be thankful that my car is now repaired and I have an MOT, or name & shame the garage? I guess I'd probably be about the only person ever to complain about being given a pass...

A.

hello

It was for all these reasons that i did not push for an age related plate at the registry office!!!

Q plates have far more advantages over snobby age related plates!!!

Now that will p*ss some people off

Cheers

Mark