Nitous (once more)

catflap

try competition car ins

agent is jim robinson 01509852253 (jim runs curb sprint school )

www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk.

advertises in hagley @dist car clulb mag

stuart hill

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steve wilson

• catflap

• DodgeT

• Matt Seabrook

why do you want nitrous anyway?  what use is it for road or track use?

Thats like saying "Why do you want a gas flowed head or a turbo or different carbs.

Everyones quest for more power, different things to do and make your car different. So what if it dont last very long, i can live with that. Its the grin factor :D

I want my car to be so fast that when i hit the throttle & the nitrous kicks in, i S*** myself :devil:  :devil:

must remember to put incontinence pants on the shopping list :blush:

LOL same here

Acceleration junkies, if your not afraid to hit the loud pedal, then your car don’t accelerate fast enough ;)

NOX for the road? Waaaaay illegal speeds - in seconds. Given that, what's your problem with illegal insurance Catflap? :D

I worked out (last year) that for a trackday at Brands I would have used two 77Lbs bottles in refills, which = £500+ in gas!

It also assumes that I was willing to 'rent' the big bottles at £50+ pa each, buy the refill adaptor thingys and keep the big bottles nice and hot so I don't fret about wasting the 11Lbs of gas I couldn't get out of the bottle or keeping the 'small and light weight' 11kg (half the bottle/half the gas) bottle in the freezer.

You also need a temp control blanket (£££) for the small bottles when in use to make sure you get all the gas available.

Add in £500+ for the basic kit and £300+ for the black box controller, £140+ for uprated coil packs (for BECs anyway) so the NOX pulse doesn't blow out the spark( ! ), there must be cheaper ways to do it.

Just what do you want to acheive here? Straight line ooomph? Then buy an Seight :D And this comes from a commited BEC'er!

Out and out performance with NOX? no problem. You just need to add in a two channel accl'mtr and the control electronics so the NOX system only cuts in on full throttle AND when it detects no sideways acceleration (otherwise a trip in the twilight zone is probably in order), which = more £££.

NOX looks cheap, but when you do the sums - it's not and anyone who tells you different is selling something. :D  :D  :D

Nox only comes on when the pedal hits the floor. So if you are sideways then you will be feathering the throttle and the NOX wont be on until you've straightened up the car and floored it :t-up:

How much does it work ot when you spend a shed load of wonga on a tts turbo for a busa

For what it's worth I went to silverstone to watch the TOCA today and I was with a friend who is in the Civic owners club. There were at least 6 or 7 Civic Type-R's that had NOS fitted so it may be worth chucking a post on their forum to find out more about insurance and who with.(Assuming they have declared it.)

There is no correlation between NOS and illegal speeds, at all and is purely speculative

Reason is simple I want it for track days

Follow my logic here

I drive to my track days, and thus require the Nos to be fitted to the car, you’ll find that most insurance companies will not insure you IRRISPECIVE if the bottle is fitted or not – so no remarks about just fit it when you get there, logical right?

I have been stuck behind more powerful cars on track days, but when there is a safe opportunity to overtake (NOTE: track day etiquette requires to you to over take on straights, and not under braking) the little 900cc engine can not match the power of the bigger car, and thus by the time I get to the next corner, im stuck behind them again..  This usually results in my slowing right down to let them go, and then continue.  This is not acceptable. As it is spoiling y enjoyment of the track day, and is dampening my learning curve as I am keen to attempt a new line or braking point, only to have to reduce speed on entry due to longer braking points of the car in front.

So the Nos will be used to overtake, and then carry on my way.

My Nos use would be significantly less given the above theory:  Only used as an aid to overtaking.

And because I want it…..simple!

Just what do you want to acheive here? Straight line ooomph? Then buy an Seight

mb893......

hmmmmmm..

do i need to say anything..........

go on then i will...

Why are you fitting a turbo then?????

I can be on the road with NOS for £600, fitted, no need to rent bottles as I can get ready access to nitrous nearby at £2 per lb.

how much is your turbo conversion going to cost you by the time its done, between £2500 - £3000????

thats a lot of gas.

I worked out (last year) that for a trackday at Brands I would have used two 77Lbs bottles in refills, which = £500+ in gas

you can change out of 2nd gear if you want you know....

What i meant was is it a national dist. I havnt rung anybody yet to find out prices. If you buy a big bottle (the 5ft like they use for welding) does it get cheaper?

no its not a from a national distributor.  Private garage who deals in gas aswell.

i beleive it does get cheaper, the more you buy, not looked into buying my own big bottle / kit etc. as the price i can get it for is really cheap anyway, & would save me the hassle of big bottles etc..

Ive just sent Graham Sykes an e-mail telling them about us and what were trying to do. I'll let you no when i here back from them.