• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Motorbike carbon silencers

colnagowetdream

Almost

Just that is a serial set-up, and thought it would A) be easer to make, and B) look better in parallel

One can on top of other just like that, but BOTH connected to the manifold at same point.

So the R1 cans are a disposable can (on our set up) the plot thickens… I’ve never seen an R1 can close up, but I did repack my so called NON REPACKABLE bike can a few years ago, very easy really

Drill out rivets, cut baffle pipe, tack weld, re pack, re rivet, done in an hr or 2  (but unlike the standard can this was a straight though, so probably simpler design.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oioi

• Martin Keene

• chrisbin

• Al Yupright

I living in Peterborough adds 20 years I'm probably dead - Oooo, does that mean I can appear in 'Charmed' ....please :p

:down:

If the R1 cans are restrictive, what would be the effect of mounting two of them in parallel - would this aid/worsen/make no difference to the restriction?

Just had another thought - the exhaust is a 4:2:1 system, would there be any advantages in removing the :1 'bit' (the aggregated point at which the downpipes meet the silencer) and connecting a bike can at both of the 4:2 interconnects (thereby two cylinders are 'serviced' by one can each)???

Please ignore me if I'm talking bo!!ocks.

I'm pretty sure this is how big bikes that have twin cans are configured.

I think twin cans in series would be more effective. Would be interested if there is anyone who actually knows the science behind this stuff though!

Re: carbon cans blowing themselves apart/setting themselves on fire, I was told this years ago. However, I've now been running a carbon can with a seriously fiery flaming exhaust and it's none the worse. I presume someone somewhere had a s**t carbon can that blew itself to bits but I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Re: carbon cans blowing themselves apart/setting themselves on fire, I was told this years ago. However, I've now been running a carbon can with a seriously fiery flaming exhaust and it's none the worse. I presume someone somewhere had a s**t carbon can that blew itself to bits but I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

ISTR that Nick M had some problems with his carbon can didn't he?

But having said that, I've not heard of anyone else in the last 2 years...... ???

Yup, Nick M did indeed burn a big hole in his carbon can. I believe he, as I, and one or two others do, line the carbon cans with a sheet of turbo blanket.

As for silencing a Vx with a  bike silencer, I reckon it's a non starter. Actually, I think silencing a bike engine with a bike silencer is a non starter, unless you are using the OE silencer from the bike. Most other after market silencers are noisier than the OE equivalents, because that's what bikers want. The *best* silenced BEC I've seen/heard has what appeared to be a Raceco aluminium 6" silencer that would normally be seen adorning a K series C******m. It was quiet, but because the silencer is not restrictive in any way, probably made better power than anything else. It still sounded fine too, it just didn't make my ears bleed. I'm confident this car would pass a 98db day at Castle Combe with ease......

It would be good if Raceco made a non-titanium silencer.

Dont get me wrong, titanium is nice, but £395+VAT for a (7inch) silencer is ridiculous!

Raceco seem to be doing something right with their silencers, cos they certainly seem to be the quietest around of the unbaffled type.

If they made stainless ones for 300notes inc vat, I'd have one...

I thought they made aluminium ones too ??? If not, it's gotta be worth asking if he'll make one, minus a suitable discount if you supply the aluminium tubing. 6" (or whatever) aluminium tubing isn't exactly expensive or hard to come by.......

The chap at Raceco (AMMO on Blatchat) seems to be a reasonable guy, and he knows what he's doing too.....

I've got an R1 can

Dont the OEM cans have a flapper/restrictor that suits the bike engine ie allows more power low down then opens up at high revs.

Probably not compatible with a car IMO

An EXUP valve or somesuch. You can remove them, IIRC, although I have no idea what that'll do long term as far as affecting the engine/running is concerned.....